When can we expect A16?

Started by Castiel, October 03, 2016, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castiel

I'm not in a big rush there are plenty of mods expanding the games experience every run for me, and I am enjoying it all the way! However I am excited for new content as you guys took a big step with adding drugs to the game in the last major patch so I am excited to see what you do next! More animals? More races? More weapons? Greater depth to any already existing parts of the game? Or can we expect to see something else new and exciting!

Dingo

Personally I would love an overall fixes patch rather than more content. There are many things that aren't fleshed out, UI improvements that can be done (some are done by mods already), a lot of moddability issues that can be fixed by adding XML tags.. And of course some major bug fixes like the one delaying CCL.

Serenity

Fleshing out the existing content is definitely far more important at this point. And there are tons of relatively small UI and usability things that could improve the game a lot.

Shinzy

I believe I heard something about "months"

Castiel

I also agree that the game needs to be fleshed out to run a little smoother, but I don't think that there are that many glitches/UI issues that they have to drop everything and fix the game. My personal hopes are that they do make the UI a little smoother and the AI a little smarter. I would love to see a scenario overhaul system so that the scaling can be made a little smoother for tribal runs! The mentioning of adding months to the game is exciting also. It would definitely make things a little smoother with preparing seeing what month it is! I would also love to see altered day/night cycles on planets depending on positioning sun(s)/moon(s)!

DariusWolfe

Something to keep in mind is that this is still an Alpha; It's easy to lose sight of that given how functional and feature-rich the game is already, but Alpha is the stage when a game is still being actively developed; Beta is the stage for refining, bug-bashing (though obviously that still happens in earlier stages, it's just not the main focus) and balancing.

If you're here in this stage, you've explicitly signed on to play a game that is broken and unbalanced; While it is still perfectly acceptable to enjoy the game itself, and there's every indication that Tynan wants people to enjoy the game as it currently stands, we need to accept that the game is far from complete.

I sincerely doubt there will be a balancing/bug-bashing patch for a while, until we get to the beginnings of Beta, which is when we should start seeing less and less in terms of new content.

skullywag

He better have fixed that door.......
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

DariusWolfe

Quote from: skullywag on October 03, 2016, 06:40:58 PMHe better have fixed that door.......

He obviously doesn't care about the important things, or else this would have been a same-day priority hotfix.

Dingo

You can still focus on stepping back and fleshing things out even in alpha, it doesn't prevent you from staying in alpha state and adding more content in the next alpha. I think the game is in a point where that would be advised, or at least having a 50-50 split of fixes/adjustments and new content.

Mr.Cross

I saw him post about a balancing of weapons (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26367.0) Third comment in. , Perhaps he is working more on raiders, raid AI, and new forms of enemies as well as weapons?

This is of course speculation.
Claims to know most things.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Dingo on October 03, 2016, 08:28:24 PMYou can still focus on stepping back and fleshing things out even in alpha, it doesn't prevent you from staying in alpha state and adding more content in the next alpha. I think the game is in a point where that would be advised, or at least having a 50-50 split of fixes/adjustments and new content.

I think 50/50 is way too high of a ratio; When you're actively adding new content, you're going to be constantly breaking the former balance. Balance concerns during an Alpha should focus on completely broken gameplay, so it's difficult to get an idea of how the game is actually working with the new content.

If you're spending even half of your effort balancing mechanics that don't have to do directly with the new content, you're going to be causing a lot more work for yourself; Like, if he would have chosen to do a rebalance (without additional content) to weapons as part of A15, then do a combat overhaul with A16, he'd either be repeating or undoing all of the weapons work he did with A15. If A16 is a combat overhaul (please??) then it would make sense to roll a weapon rebalance into the effort.

Listen1

Or maybe he's adding something like horses you can ride.

ison

The only thing I can say is that the update is going to be really cool :P and quite big.

Calahan

Quote from: ison on October 04, 2016, 12:03:11 PM
... really cool :P and quite big.
So ... an iceberg then ??? Or maybe a new giant frozen comet event. Although I hope it won't be like the Europa Universalis comet event.

Your Pawns have seen a comet! Please choose an outcome.

1 - All your Pawns go berserk
2 - All your Pawns go berserk
3 - All your Pawns go berserk

And then after complaints, you add another option in A17.

4 - All your Pawns go berserk

Dingo

Oh comet, Devil's kith and kin...