[A15] Mutagens and Psionic Drugs V1.3 (10/16/16)

Started by AtomicRavioli, October 05, 2016, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtomicRavioli

Mutagens and Psionic Drugs

Download:
Dropbox

Designed with my larger mod, Crystalloid, in mind.

Description:
This little mod adds 3 drugs, Oracalium, Igni, and Ichorio. Each drug behaves very differently from vanilla drugs and each have lasting effects.

Oracalium:
Neolithic blend of powdered herbs that is traditionally used by Oracles in tribal societies. Supposedly has properties that help with divination.

Craftable with psychite refining research at the drug lab using 1 herbal medicine and 10 psychoid leaves. Purchasable.

Effects are relatively minor for a drug, giving increased vision and a mood boost, and slightly lowering rest. Low chance for it to be addictive. Repeated useage never loses its spark (No tolerance build up).
After prolonged use, long term effects appear. Chronic users become Oracle psionics, giving them a varying degree of a sight benefit. Effects will diminish when the user stops taking the drug for a long time.

Igni:
Red pill with a mutagenic serum inside. Anyone who takes the pill has the chance to mutate permanently (unless you remove their limbs). Originally designed and mass produced to enhance manual labor in workers, it promptly received a ban on various worlds when unintended mutations started popping up.

Non-craftable. Purchasable.

Taking the pill puts the consumer in a mutagenic reaction state. It begins with an initial phase before the effects kick in. After some time, the mutagen starts working. When active, the mutagen randomly gives the consumer mutations, they include:

-mutation: speed (+ 0.06 movement speed, incompatible with mutation: slow)
-mutation: rage (75% increased social fight chance, pain reduced by 15%, slightly worsened mental break threshold, incompatible with mutation: calm)
-mutation: warm (lower MIN and MAX comfortable temperature range)
-mutation: furnace (20% less sleep, 30% higher hunger rate. Eating speed increased by 50%, slight cold tolerance)
-mutation: plated arm (Bone plated arm that won't bleed to damage and deals more unarmed damage, 20% decrease to manipulation, 10% sharp armor, 6% blunt armor)
-mutation: core heart (Dense heavily altered heart, 50% more efficient than a normal heart. 10% movement increase)
-mutation: strong back (increased carrying capacity, 10% movement increase, immunity to bad back)

There is a chance to develop asthma.
There is also a chance to have nothing happen at all.

Igni's mutation set is focused around heavy work and warm temperatures, it is relatively "safer" than other mutagen options, with each mutation being at least marginally useful and very few of them purely malicious.

Sil:
Light blue pill with a mutagenic serum inside. Anyone who takes the pill has the chance to mutate permanently (unless you remove their limbs). Popular on Glitterworlds for the beautiful changes to the body, like the floral-like mutations that sprout around the ears. Infamous on Urbworlds for the lethal toxins that some of the mutations secrete.

Mutation list:

-mutation: flowers (+10% social impact, +10% toxic sensitivity)
-mutation: corrosive acids (+20% hunger rate)
-mutation: viperous blood (+10% pain, -5% toxic sensitivity, +20% blood filtration)
-mutation: phelloderm (+6.5% sharp armor, +3.5% blunt armor, -0.03 movement speed)
-mutation: fey eyes (+12% social impact, +26% sight improvement)
-mutation: degraded (-35% pain, -10% global work speed, -15% consciousness, -35% talking)
-mutation: calm (-12% mental break threshold, incompatible with mutation: rage)

There is a chance to have nothing happen at all.

Sil's mutation set is focused around plants, acid, and toxins. Fairly risky mutagen, with the potential for high reward. Featuring raw power increases countered by plenty of malicious mutations.

Ursa:
A brown pill with a mutagenic serum inside, anyone who consumes the pill mutates irreversibly. Forming beast like mutations, Ursa was primarily designed for use by special divisions of military shock troopers.

Mutation list:

-mutation: ponderous (15% more rest need)
-mutation: slow (-0.06 movement speed, incompatible with mutation: speed)
-mutation: fur (very slight sharp and blunt armor, and movement penalty, -5 minimum comfy temperature, incompatible with mutation: phelloderm)
-mutation: disfigured (-35% social impact)
-mutation: claws (65% efficient as hands, powerful melee weapons)
-mutation: horns (Extra melee attack)
-mutation: animal-like (80% pain, -50% social impact, 80% psychic sensitivity, lower mental breakdown threshold, +20% hearing, random food binges)

There is a chance to have nothing happen at all.

Ursa's mutation set is focused around beasts. Great for melee combat.

Midia:
A purple pill with a mutagenic serum inside, anyone who consumes the pill mutates irreversibly. Midia is known as one of the earliest mind altering mutagens that was proven to be safe enough for specialized use.

Mutation list:

-mutation: intelligent (Worse mental break threshold, faster learning)
-mutation: forgetful (random memory loss, similar to Alzheimers)
-mutation: blurred (-15% sight, per eye)
-mutation: rough voice (-15% social impact)
-mutation: keen (-35% aiming delay)
-mutation: absent (mood boost, -20% consciousness penalty)

Midia is a low grade brain mutagen, with some spill over mutations to other areas on the head.

Be warned, mutating is miserable and your pawns will hate it.

Ichorio:
Golden iridescent fluid in a bottle. Almost like a fairy tale, it grants the drinker power.

Non-craftable. Purchasable. (Very expensive)

Anyone who drinks this immediately gets permanent psionic powers, that stack up to 4 times:
5% increase to sight, manipulation, and movement. 10% increased pain.

More to come.

Changelog:
V1.3
-Mutagen base price lowered to 415

-Added Ursa mutagen
-Added Midia mutagen

-Sil's phelloderm mutation is incompatible with Ursa's fur mutation
-Igni's speed mutation is incompatible with Ursa's slow mutation
-Igni's speed mutation is also reworked (no longer affects the moving capacity, instead directly influences the move speed)

-Fixed an issue that prevented immunities from taking place

V1.2
- Oracalium has stack size textures
- Mutation phases duration slightly tweaked
- Igni base price greatly reduced, to 500 silver
- Igni's plated arm mutation has some armor value now
- Igni's plated arm mutation manipulation debuff increased to 20%
- Igni's furnace mutation lowers minimum comfortable temperature now
- Igni's rage mutation increased social fight chance to 175%
- Igni's rage mutation worsens mental break threshold slightly now

- Added Warm mutation to Igni (Lower min comfortable temp, lower max comfortable temp)
- Added Strong Back mutation to Igni (increased movement and carry capacity, immunity to bad back)

- Added the Sil mutagen

- Confliction between mutations occurs now, obtaining one will prevent a pawn from obtaining an 'opposite' mutation
- For instance: Igni rage is incompatible with Sil calm

License:
Take it apart to your heart's consent for your own ideas, just don't blatantly copy and republish the mod.

Modpacks and collections are welcome to include the mod, just give me a notification and credit as you do so.

tiger33116

Ok this sounds completely awesome. I'll will be trying this later. How ever is it incompatible with any other mods?

Draegon

This seems like a neat idea :D Will more specific mutations ever be added? Like growing claws or fur or something?

tiger33116

Something else I forgot to ask what kind of benefits come from having psionic powers? I can see psi powers being used for defense and offence.

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: tiger33116 on October 05, 2016, 10:58:40 AM
Ok this sounds completely awesome. I'll will be trying this later. How ever is it incompatible with any other mods?

Should be completely compatible with any mod, I didn't rewrite anything from core.

Quote from: Draegon on October 05, 2016, 11:01:05 AM
This seems like a neat idea :D Will more specific mutations ever be added? Like growing claws or fur or something?

Claws are 100% do-able, fur is possible but functionality would be a problem (as of right now, insulation and various stats that clothing and items have cannot be applied to hediffs)

Quote from: tiger33116 on October 05, 2016, 11:09:56 AM
Something else I forgot to ask what kind of benefits come from having psionic powers? I can see psi powers being used for defense and offence.

Right now, in this mod, it only affects their capacities (eating, manipulation, sight, etc..). I implemented a psionic system before in a WIP mod where it offered offensive powers, I will eventually add that functionality to a new mutagen or psionic drug to this mod.

Draegon

If it's ever possible to have hulking beast people colonists that can tear into attackers because of this mod I will love it so much XD

Facepunch

Looks great, looking forward to seeing this mod expand and grow

res34

We're getting closer and closer to a Witcher themed mod.

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: AtomicRavioli on October 05, 2016, 11:21:18 AM
fur is possible but functionality would be a problem (as of right now, insulation and various stats that clothing and items have cannot be applied to hediffs)

Proud to state that I worked around it, and already tweaked some mutations with more functionality (for next update):

- Plated arm mutation will have armor values
- Furnace mutation will keep pawns more comfortable in the cold

Another mutagen will be packaged with the next update as well, called Sil. It primarily features "plant-like" mutations. Things like floral growths from the head make Sil popular in Glitterworlds.

Garlic88

Theres so many cool ideas here. Really like the idea of taking a drug o er a period of time to get a permenent buff instead of a negative tolerance and addiction. Fits the traditional idea of shamans taking enlightening substances. Would love to see this expanded with a hallucinogenic drug that maybe makes you a bit practically useless whilst high, but each time you use you get a chance to be permanently enlightened, giving a mood/learning speed/work speed/pain redection whatever buff. Maybe needs refreshing once a week with continued use.

And the mutations really open up options. Love the ideabut go for bigger effects. 5% movespeed is quite minor, but I like the armoured arm... maybe it could function like a shield as well? Id love to see a cold blooded mutation, making you work and move faster in heat and slower in cold.
Keep up the good work!

AtomicRavioli

Updated to V1.2

Features: More mutations to Igni, added Sil mutagen, various balance tweaks and under the hood changes

Due to the risky nature of the mutagens, the price plummeted.

Changelog:
V1.2
- Oracalium has stack size textures
- Mutation phases duration slightly tweaked
- Igni base price greatly reduced, to 500 silver
- Igni's plated arm mutation has some armor value now
- Igni's plated arm mutation manipulation debuff increased to 20%
- Igni's furnace mutation lowers minimum comfortable temperature now
- Igni's rage mutation increased social fight chance to 175%
- Igni's rage mutation worsens mental break threshold slightly now

- Added Warm mutation to Igni (Lower min comfortable temp, lower max comfortable temp)
- Added Strong Back mutation to Igni (increased movement and carry capacity, immunity to bad back)

- Added the Sil mutagen

- Confliction between mutations occurs now, obtaining one will prevent a pawn from obtaining an 'opposite' mutation
- For instance: Igni rage is incompatible with Sil calm

Dragoon

Now this sounds awesome!

*edit* I noticed that fey eyes are core heart are missing. from the list.

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: Dragoon on October 10, 2016, 12:57:00 PM
Now this sounds awesome!

*edit* I noticed that fey eyes are core heart are missing. from the list.

They might be missing from the list because fey eyes, core heart, and plated arms are actually added parts, not conditions. They work in the game like prosthetic parts (that you can't install, but obtain).

Draegon

What's the chance of nothing happening? I've had 3 different colonists take Igni and nothing happened.

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: Draegon on October 12, 2016, 08:04:33 PM
What's the chance of nothing happening? I've had 3 different colonists take Igni and nothing happened.

System works on an individual mutation basis, with the chance being kinda obscure (determined by the mean time between, in days). The more mutations I add, the less of a chance the nothing will happen. That said, the numbers will be constantly tweaked.

To demonstrate:
Igni's speed mutation has a MTB of 9 days. That is a low chance for a mutation on its own, but when there are 7 other mutations rolling, you might get one or two.

One committed change will be further lowering the price of the mutagens so you have more chances.