Best Way to protect your base?

Started by APBRainbowcar, October 17, 2016, 09:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APBRainbowcar

Sandbags are walls, Turrents guns or traps? SO CONFUSING

carbon

Walls generally provide a better cover bonus than sandbags, but they limit your pawns movement and line-of-sight. The upside is you can use extended wall sections to cut line-of-sight if your pawn(s) get in trouble and need to retreat. Typically, I think most people use walls as the primary (head-on) cover with sandbags to cover their diagonals / flanks without blocking LOS.

I haven't actually used turrets or traps in several alphas, so I can't comment on those.

zandadoum

For the last few alphas, I got best results from making entry corridors to my base filled with steel traps. Colonist use shortcut doors and animals are not allowed closeby   

Then, inside base, some stone columns for colonists to use as cover and a few auto turrets here and there.

Most invaders don't get past my huge amount of steel traps.

Sieges: counter siege with fire mortar while sniping with some colonists

Sappers: predict their attack as best as possible and kill them from behind while they dig.

Manhunter: play cat n mouse with some doors while other colonists take them out. Traps also kill many.

Canute

Defence for 8-12 pawns, if you got more you need to expand it.
At  mix of turrets,walls,sandbags and traps ! :-)
Wall before the turrets, to prevent sniper and rocketlauncher to attack from the distance. Doubles wall are only i was on Ice shelf and that give extra Temp protection. Slate/granit wall mosttimes do the job. Plasteel doors if you can affort them.
Turrets give some extra firepower.
Traps damage and kill some. But beware, traps need alot metal, plasteel are better and got more HP in case someone throw a grenade.
Sandbags to slow down movement.
Range pawns stay at the turrets, don't use sniper weapons.
Mellee at the main door. They can go in, and help people on at the turrets.

Sapper you need to intercept them.
Siege, you should kill them with sniper.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Mattaru

Use [stone] walls to block and filter your enemies through to your turrets. Your colonists should be parked in a sandbagged line behind your turrets. in the event that you have to leave your base to deal with a psychic ship or a siege of some sort, take good long range snipers and hit/run

ArguedPiano

I don't use turrets myself. Generally rely on Door Cheese (somewhat like guerrilla tactics).

In my first picture you can see two layers of walls set up with sandbags. Most of the time they don't make it past the outer wall but it does happen so I have something to fall back to. I got the idea to build this was by watching disnof on Twitch.
I shoot as many as possible, then retreat my shooters before the melee guys get too close to them. Then send my own melee pawns to kill the ones who are attacking the doors and are also injured.
Bob and weave until enough of them are dead or they break through.

The second picture shows something I set up to take out a psychic ship that had landed. The pillars and sandbag combo provides a ton of cover and kept my colonists relatively safe throughout the fight. Inferno Cannons were the worst here but they suck to deal with no matter the situation

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.