[A16] Combat Realism [closed]

Started by skyarkhangel, November 11, 2016, 03:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gariba

Quote from: Hyena on January 11, 2017, 02:29:39 PM
I am having a problem with hauling/inventory management. (I saw someone mention a similar/same problem a few posts back, so I am adding my two cents)

Pawns will sometimes get stuck in a loop of picking up and dropping an object. I wasn't sure what was happening in previous situations it occurred (usually just telling them to do something else 'fixed' it), but in this recent case, I had a pawn getting very confused about hauling ammunition.

I think this bug has to do with the auto-ammo feature. Without loadout settings, pawns try to grab any ammo that their current weapon can use, and it seems to be set to "minimum X ammo". So if you have a loadout with less ammo than that minimum, the pawn will loop between "pick up ammo until I have X" and "drop ammo because I have more than Y".

This happened to me with assault rifle ammo. My loadouts were set to 60 FMJ and 60 AP. Changing it to 120 each stopped the bug. Sometimes it still happens that visitors/raiders drop HP rounds after a battle, and my colonists try to pick them up to satisfy the minimum auto-ammo, and then drop it because its not on their loadout.

WereCat88

It would be great if there would be a bigger backpack that costs 1 component (zippers and stuff) and 100 cloth to make, like a military backpack.

Also when visitors come they drop some weapons (when they enter the tile), i think its because they have too much stuff already and can't carry more. (i have Rimfire for CR so maybe they visit with more weapons because of this, but idk)
I am The Primal Mammelon

deathstar

Quote from: WereCat88 on January 11, 2017, 04:04:29 PM
It would be great if there would be a bigger backpack that costs 1 component (zippers and stuff) and 100 cloth to make, like a military backpack.

Also when visitors come they drop some weapons (when they enter the tile), i think its because they have too much stuff already and can't carry more. (i have Rimfire for CR so maybe they visit with more weapons because of this, but idk)

Can't test right now, but I used to have this issue with Hospitality when also running CR. You got that one loaded?

WereCat88

I am The Primal Mammelon

Zee

Just wanted to add that I am also experiencing issues with the inventory management. (running 1.6.9.4)

I often have pawns picking up and dropping food items when trying to tame animals, because their loadout doesn't permit them to carry anything other than their weapon and ammo, so they continuously play a game of hot potato with their intended bait.

As a 2nd issue, I had a small group of traders wander into my camp, and when I attempted to sell them a few of my weapons the items just fell back to the ground (along with the silver they owed me) so that I could pick them back up and sell them again. The pawns had a full "bulk" meter so selling them things just resulted in me getting my things right back.

Thanks for your work on the mod, and here's hoping this issues are sorted out soon! :)

porcupine

Quote from: Zee on January 11, 2017, 04:39:38 PM
Just wanted to add that I am also experiencing issues with the inventory management. (running 1.6.9.4)

I often have pawns picking up and dropping food items when trying to tame animals, because their loadout doesn't permit them to carry anything other than their weapon and ammo, so they continuously play a game of hot potato with their intended bait.

As a 2nd issue, I had a small group of traders wander into my camp, and when I attempted to sell them a few of my weapons the items just fell back to the ground (along with the silver they owed me) so that I could pick them back up and sell them again. The pawns had a full "bulk" meter so selling them things just resulted in me getting my things right back.

Thanks for your work on the mod, and here's hoping this issues are sorted out soon! :)

I know some people are going to hate this suggestion...

But it kinda seems like instead of making sure traders can carry stuff (sure, a great idea), they should also reject past their weight limit, you know, "I cant carry that much, so I'm not buying it from you!", adds a nice flavor of realism, given it's the logical behavior, traders aren't just black holes to dump your crap into after all :).

kardofaces

Quote from: gariba on January 11, 2017, 02:50:30 PM
Quote from: Hyena on January 11, 2017, 02:29:39 PM
I am having a problem with hauling/inventory management. (I saw someone mention a similar/same problem a few posts back, so I am adding my two cents)

Pawns will sometimes get stuck in a loop of picking up and dropping an object. I wasn't sure what was happening in previous situations it occurred (usually just telling them to do something else 'fixed' it), but in this recent case, I had a pawn getting very confused about hauling ammunition.

I think this bug has to do with the auto-ammo feature. Without loadout settings, pawns try to grab any ammo that their current weapon can use, and it seems to be set to "minimum X ammo". So if you have a loadout with less ammo than that minimum, the pawn will loop between "pick up ammo until I have X" and "drop ammo because I have more than Y".

This happened to me with assault rifle ammo. My loadouts were set to 60 FMJ and 60 AP. Changing it to 120 each stopped the bug. Sometimes it still happens that visitors/raiders drop HP rounds after a battle, and my colonists try to pick them up to satisfy the minimum auto-ammo, and then drop it because its not on their loadout.

Can confirm. This seems to be current game issues. I didn't experience it in a new save. (Though, I wasn't seeing them auto grab ammo, weird.)

For current saves, changing the loadout helped. But one several pawns required more ammo in their loadouts to stop bugging out; as if trying to reach a mass/bulk level.

MightyGooga

Hey Sky,

I really would like to hear it from you. The aspect of the pawns not getting their respective weapon ammo has been brough up a couple of times. People, have discussed it, me included that it would be a better mechanic for the mod.

Could you give us your opinion on wether this mechanic is possible to be implemented or not? I´d like te hear that, to understand if this a technical issue or a desing option.

Thanks

porcupine

Quote from: gustavoghe on January 11, 2017, 07:04:31 PM
Hey Sky,

I really would like to hear it from you. The aspect of the pawns not getting their respective weapon ammo has been brough up a couple of times. People, have discussed it, me included that it would be a better mechanic for the mod.

Could you give us your opinion on wether this mechanic is possible to be implemented or not? I´d like te hear that, to understand if this a technical issue or a desing option.

Thanks

Let me get this straight...  You mean the feature that was introduced < 24 hours ago isn't working flawlessly for you, yet "has been brough up a couple of times.", since it was released < 24 hours ago? 

Are you for real?

MightyGooga

Quote from: porcupine on January 11, 2017, 08:04:58 PM
Hey Sky,

Thanks

Let me get this straight...  You mean the feature that was introduced < 24 hours ago isn't working flawlessly for you, yet "has been brough up a couple of times.", since it was released < 24 hours ago? 

Are you for real?

Hey.. keep your panties on...

I was 4 pages behind my reading. I saw a recent post about this on the SKHC thread, and though "What the hell i might just ask if its possible". Didnt know it was just released, and I have been monitoring this thread for weeks know, becouse I had already commented about this earlier.

My question was about the possibility to do it, not about it now working properly. I havent even tested it yet, been wating a long time for the feature.

Watch your tone missy.

Fafn1r

I see Thorbane you've been making some changes to insects. What difference should I look for now when fighting them?

skyarkhangel

Hey Sky,

Thanks

I did not understand the question, can be more specific? If you're talking about a new ammo finder mechanics. In future a will improve it. For now, pawn won't to search ammo if 1) ammo too far from current position 2) overloaded 3) ammo forbidden 4) have health problems. 5) have another needs priority that more important then ammo.

Zee

Quote from: porcupine on January 11, 2017, 05:24:32 PM
Quote from: Zee on January 11, 2017, 04:39:38 PM

I know some people are going to hate this suggestion...

But it kinda seems like instead of making sure traders can carry stuff (sure, a great idea), they should also reject past their weight limit, you know, "I cant carry that much, so I'm not buying it from you!", adds a nice flavor of realism, given it's the logical behavior, traders aren't just black holes to dump your crap into after all :).

The problem with this mode of "explaining" the bug, is that traders show up to your camp already overloaded. Its not an issue of wanting to be able to unload all your inventory just to maximize profits. These traders are so overloaded, that you would often need to buy half of their inventory before even having the option to sell any of your own items without them falling back on the ground under your ownership. And besides, even if this was intended design, the fact that you can sell your items, receive silver for them, and then pick the items back up and put them back in your storage remains a very big bug.

Also, the problem with animal trainer/tamers looping food pick-up/dropping is still an issue. Sky, any thoughts on solving this issue?

Again, thanks for your work maintaining this mod. :)

skyarkhangel

minakurafto

weird pawn behaviour, i have my pawn take a pistol next to a wall then i press reload without any spare ammo , then my pawn will loop digging the wall and the other wall

then i draft the pawn move to ammo then undraft then it will pick ammo and not digging anymore
if i just draft and undraft without place it near ammo it will dig wall again

so maybe the pawn confused between finding ammo and digging wall (my self built wall , not natural wall aka destroying my own base).