How Cold is Too Cold?

Started by jeytee, November 14, 2016, 01:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeytee

Hi, just wondering how cold is too cold for raiders to come (human)? Like roughly a temperature range is what I'm looking for since I want to play a colder biome, but still want human raids to happen most frequently (instead of mechaniods). Thanks!

Zhentar

Jaridan

-45 degree celsius is where humans won't show up (caravan or raid).

jeytee

niklas7737

I'm playing on an extremely cold map with a permanent cold snap. Temperature alwys stays under -60°C. There are still human raids showing up (sometimes they die before actually attacking).
I don't get any caravans though.

skinicism

It's too cold when I say it is; right now it is
so cold that I'm getting frostbite just chatting
with you.

Moxi

Quote from: niklas7737 on November 14, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
I'm playing on an extremely cold map with a permanent cold snap. Temperature alwys stays under -60°C. There are still human raids showing up (sometimes they die before actually attacking).

How do you survive that? I'm still new to the game but I can't seem to survive games where there are no grow seasons.

ArguedPiano

Quote from: Moxi on November 14, 2016, 03:42:19 PMHow do you survive that? I'm still new to the game but I can't seem to survive games where there are no grow seasons.

First build a small room, then a Nutrient Paste Dispenser. Hunt a Polar Bear (hopefully there is at least one) and repeat when you run out of food. Build two research benches and research Hydroponics ASAP. Try not to freeze.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Jaridan

Quote from: Moxi on November 14, 2016, 03:42:19 PM
Quote from: niklas7737 on November 14, 2016, 02:03:30 PM

How do you survive that? I'm still new to the game but I can't seem to survive games where there are no grow seasons.
As a tribe you can forget surviving in those super extreme ice sheets.
You need hydroponics and electricity ofc. This way you can grow food and survive. Often you also dig into mountains since it's easier to keep the heat etc.

Another way would be to make your starting person/s (or a gamewide high probability on) cannibalism so your people have no qualms butchering people and eating human meat/cooked.

If you get extreme enough biome (like -92 degree C in winter on avg)) it's possible to get exen mechanoids to freeze or atleast shiver :D

Rock5

What I do is make my first small room over a likely clump of gravel so I can start growing before I finish researching hydroponics. Also it's good to have a mix of ground and hydro to help survive power failures.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Serenity

A sunlamp sized gravel patch can only just about feed three people though. But it's certainly the way to go.

For a first attempt at an ice sheet I recommend:
1.) A map with very cold winters but summers a bit below freezing. That way you still get human raiders and not just mechanoids. But your "fridge" can still be a vent to the outside
2.) The lone survivor scenario. Less mouths to feed and lots of survival meals.
3.) Rerolling the map so you get a steam geyser next to the gravel patch. It's a great way to heat that first room.

In addition what the others said: use steel to enclose the gravel (plus geyser if available). Can later be replaced with double stone walls. Use wood very sparingly, mostly for beds, fast doors and certain workbenches that really need it. Build as much out of steel and stone as possible.

The tricky thing is surviving until the first harvest (of potatoes. Only thing that grows well in gravel). After that it's not too difficult. To do that you can stretch out your meals by forbidding them for a while and let people become really hungry. Eating that first raider is also an option. So is force harvesting some of the potatoes at 80% or so.

Rock5

Quote from: Serenity on November 14, 2016, 09:17:59 PM
2.) The lone survivor scenario. Less mouths to feed and lots of survival meals.
And I might add, if you're the sort that accepts everyone into the colony (like me), in this scenario you should be more picky and only accept people when you really need them and they can carry their own weight. No freeloaders.

Quote from: Serenity on November 14, 2016, 09:17:59 PM3.) Rerolling the map so you get a steam geyser next to the gravel patch. It's a great way to heat that first room.
I don't reroll but yes, I look for those possible geysers near gravel. Plants there are more likely to survive power loss on their own.

Quote from: Serenity on November 14, 2016, 09:17:59 PMUse wood very sparingly, mostly for beds, fast doors and certain workbenches that really need it. Build as much out of steel and stone as possible.
I wouldn't use wood for beds or doors until you have a renewable source. Only use it when you have to like for certain workbenches. Also you will need wood for campfires to save your plants in the event of power loss.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

koisama

Anyone else feels that current min requirement of -40C (-36C for caravans) is too high?

I'm on ice sheet with average summer temperature of -42.5C and I only see human raids when they're chasing someone. I'd love to see them at least in summer, when day temperature will sometimes rise to -30C.

Mechanoid raids are nice, but they don't leave human bodies.

Canute

I think you picked these starting location for the challenge.
Then you need to live with your choise and not even get caravans or raids. At last your trade beacon and com console arn't frozen and you can contact a trade ship if any pass by.

Darth Fool

One thing to do is immediately send a hunter out to kill any large game while the other two colonists build your first shack around a geyser.  Don't set up a dump stockpile, since the corpses will do fine laying out frozen, you can pick them up later.  The goal is to kill all the big game before they decide it is too cold and never come back.  Then, when there is little to no game around, you can get the corpses at your leisure.