Easier mod load!

Started by Simon_The_Space_Engineer, November 14, 2016, 06:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

So i have heavily modded my game and every now and then the game will continuously crash when i launch it, requiring that i go in and delete the mod config folder so none load at launch... the problem i have is having to try and re-order 20+ mods by clicking load saves, read 2 or 3 at a time, then put them back in order in a painstakingly slow way. What would be nice is an option for the game to rearrange the mods to the previous order to make loading games much easier when that happens, or if you use different mods for different saves, or have possibly different saves of the mod config that you can choose
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Rock5

I think that would require that mod list be saved with each game i.e. when you load a game it loads the mods for that game, when you load a different game it loads the mods for that one. I don't know why it isn't done this way. It would make things so much easier. You could start a new game with a different mod set without having to abandon your previous game because of the difficulty of changing the mod set back.

I think this means if you want to change the mods for a game you would have to change them somewhere after selecting the game but before it starts.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

skullywag

Your issue stems from using buggy mods though, I have 50+ mods enabled at any one time and have no such problems, now this is simply because 90% of the mods are my own and if they have errors in them I damn well fix em, any mods I add from other people have the same checks done, if they error they go. People need to be more careful about the mods they pick some are known to cause issues, the best thing to do here would be to do whatever to stop the crashing. Load of up your full modlist ingame until it crashes and post your output.log here so we can find the troublemakers.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

jmababa

Quote from: Simon_The_Space_Engineer on November 14, 2016, 06:59:22 PM
So i have heavily modded my game and every now and then the game will continuously crash when i launch it, requiring that i go in and delete the mod config folder so none load at launch... the problem i have is having to try and re-order 20+ mods by clicking load saves, read 2 or 3 at a time, then put them back in order in a painstakingly slow way. What would be nice is an option for the game to rearrange the mods to the previous order to make loading games much easier when that happens, or if you use different mods for different saves, or have possibly different saves of the mod config that you can choose

To avoid buggy mods 3 easy steps
1. never get mods from steam workshop outdated and buggy most of em get from alternate source they placed here in forums
2. put edbpreparecarefully mod last with hospitality mod
3. Also don't trust nexus for this game they are also outdated and buggy

Serenity

Quote from: Rock5 on November 14, 2016, 09:23:45 PM
I think that would require that mod list be saved with each game
That's already done. The mod list is the first thing in the save file. So I don't understand why it can't work that way

asquirrel

I agree with simonthespaceengineer.  If all the mods get disabled in the event of a crash, the mod load order should be unchecked.  An even better solution would be a way to better identify at what mod load the game crashed.  It would make troubleshooting much easier.

Thundercraft

It seems the Suggestions area is posted in so often that this thread got bumped off page 1 and someone started a new thread on the subject.

Anyway, I love RimWorld's Mods screen that allows us to check and uncheck mods. None of the other games I play have this. (Instead, we have to unsubscribe or physically remove mods from the /mods/ folder.)

However, I would really appreciate the option to save and load "mod sets" to tell the game which to enable or disable, for all the reasons mentioned. With dozens of mods, many which have to be installed in a certain order... It's especially tedious when trying to troubleshoot which mods are causing problems or deciding later to start a new game with an entirely different set of mods.

Quote from: Hydromancerx on November 23, 2016, 07:53:16 PMIts a pain in the butt to load them all up for a save if you get them out of order or use a total conversion mod like the Mars one and then want to go back to a non-mars saved game.

Another example: Combat Realism causing issues? All of a sudden, it's very tempting to start a new game without it, along with subscribing/adding a bunch of other mods which are incompatible with CR. But, later, when CR gets updated/fixed? It'd be nice to go back to my old mod setup and perhaps even back to old saves.

Quote from: Rock5 on November 14, 2016, 09:23:45 PM...I don't know why it isn't done this way. It would make things so much easier. You could start a new game with a different mod set without having to abandon your previous game because of the difficulty of changing the mod set back.

Agreed. And good point!

Quote from: Rock5 on November 14, 2016, 09:23:45 PM
I think that would require that mod list be saved with each game i.e. when you load a game it loads the mods for that game, when you load a different game it loads the mods for that one...

I'd be afraid that having the mod list saved with each game could cause conflicts. For instance, what if we wanted to send the save to someone else, with the list of mods, but they didn't quite get the mods installed exactly right? Maybe one of them got updated with a name change? Or maybe a very minor mod got deleted by the author or is otherwise no longer available? I don't want the risk of getting locked out of my own saved games over a potentially very minor mod issue.

Instead, I'd like to a [Save Mod Set] and a [Load Mod Set] button on the Mods screen. And, to help players remember which save file goes with a mod set, there could be a small, user-added "Notes" area. We could type in a short note like, "Use with 'Colony-alpha12'" or a list like "'Saves: New Hope, Atlantis, Ravenloft'".

(In the case where we attempt to load a Mod Set that contains a mod we had uninstalled or unsubscribed, the game could give a warning message and explain which mod is missing, but it would continue and otherwise activate and deactivate all the mods it can.)

That said, perhaps RimWorld should associate each saved game with a particular Mod Set file that is automatically generated whenever we change our mods? Then, if the game detects that we're attempting to load a save with a set of mods that is different (from the associated mod set file), it could give a warning message with an explanation (with the name of the Mod Set it's supposed to use) and a [Yes/No] to cancel or try loading anyway?

Rock5

I can't think of any reasonable reason why you would want to load a different mod set than the one associated with a save.

If the mod set is saved with the game, say you wanted to try out some changes. You would save the game first (which would include the mod order), make some changes to the mods and test it out. If you don't like it then you reload the saved game which will restore the mod order. If you play for a while with the new mod set up, then new saves will include the new mod order.

If you delete a mod or make some other change that makes a mod unavailable it can use the same process it uses now and warn you that the mod list has changed but let you continue anyway. Any future saves will include the change so you wont get messages in the future.

If you post your save, you can list your mods but don't need to say what order you use because the save will include the mod order. If the person testing your save messes up they will get a message saying they are missing a mod or whatever.

I mean it should be really easy to implement. The game already saves the order so it can give you the "wrong order" warning. Why not just load them in that order instead of complaining about it?

That said, it might be useful to have a method of transferring a mod list from 1 game to another in case you  want to do that.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport