Animal Cycle

Started by SurvivoroftheNoobs, November 27, 2016, 01:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurvivoroftheNoobs

Never used animals for anything besides hauling. Tamed a few alpacas and found out about the wonders of alpaca fur. Now I'm mass producing fur and alpacas what I wish to know is how long they take to start producing fur from birth.

Canute

You can butcher them right after the birth to get fur, but i think you talk about wool not fur ?
They wool process start once they are mature/adult, thats in 0.8 year.

Alenerel

If the animal is alive you get fur/wool. If you butcher it you get leather.

The amount of leather you get I think that depends of the stage of the alpaca. A young one will give less than a mature one, but once its mature it doesnt matter if it is 5 or 10 year old. And also ofc the skill of the butcher.

Thyme

If you are on a map where Alpacas wander in, you can just tame more of them. I got 8 on my current map before the first breed was born. Saves the delay of gestation and increases your gene pool (animals don't do incest anymore :()

Side question, the hunger rates in the wiki, are those consumed nutrition/day?
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

ArguedPiano

Quote from: Alenerel on November 27, 2016, 04:10:22 AM
If the animal is alive you get fur/wool. If you butcher it you get leather.

This is not always the case. It is true, that once tamed, Alpacas, Muffalows, ect, will give you Wool over time but fur is different altogether.

Some animals such as Wargs, Huskeys, Thrumbos, ect, will give you Fur rather than Leather when butchered.

These all fit into the same category because you receive them from butchering. You will find textiles such as: hide, skin, leather, and fur.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Bozobub

More specifically, fur is warmer than leather.
Thanks, belgord!

Zhentar

The unit of hunger rate is 1.6 nutrition per day. So .5 hunger rate needs 0.8 nutrition per day, 1 hunger rate needs 1.6 nutrition per day, and so on.

Thyme

I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak