Shotgun missing 1 foot away?

Started by cawsp, November 29, 2016, 11:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brcruchairman

Quote from: Daman453 on November 30, 2016, 11:05:38 PM
Maybe something where if you are low skilled and use a complex weapon, you have a chance of failing. Maybe a cut arm, or you shot your foot. Burns on your hands ect.

This would also be an interesting mechanic. Burns on the hands or shooting the foot strikes me as unlikely, given how difficult it would be to aim a longarm like a sniper rifle at yourself when trying to shoot something presumably some distance from you. However, something less severe and (to me) more interesting would be something like weapon degradation.

The things I'd be concerned about for an untrained shooter would be feed errors (jams and the like) not being managed, general equipment degradation from the total lack of cleaning, and worst of all, a squib load which would destroy the gun and possibly injure the shooter.

Of course, modeling all that would be a lot of work for the programmers. A good compromise, which would double as a fun twist for the game, would be modeling this simply as a change to do damage to the weapon. (This would be a good stand-in for general degradation, squib loads, and the like. Doesn't factor in jams, but I'm trying to minimize changes at first. :p ) This would add further use to lower quality guns; you don't want to give your high power sniper rifle or heaven forbid minigun to an untrained shooter; they'd just wreck it. Instead, things like survival rifles, pistols and the like would be preferred.

I will note, however, that a bolt-action sniper rifle is actually a relatively simple device in terms of operation. The scope is complex, but that would affect accuracy, not the firing of the weapon. However, your point remains valid that a low-skilled shooter may warrant further complications than simply "oops you missed".

I do have a question: how did your level 0 shooter get the sniper rifle? Whenever I draft a pawn, I always have to order them manually which weapon to pick up. Have I just been micromanaging my pawns unnecessarily? >.> Boy would I feel silly.

Daman453

"I do have a question: how did your level 0 shooter get the sniper rifle? Whenever I draft a pawn, I always have to order them manually which weapon to pick up. Have I just been micromanaging my pawns unnecessarily? >.> Boy would I feel silly."

Not my pawn, it was a raider. Also he was a brawler... a harawler with level 0 in shooting aimed and hit one of my pawns
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.