Is a online/lan multiplayer mod possible?

Started by jamieg, April 02, 2014, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamieg

not much thought so far but is it possible maybe if when you crash land in the bottom of the screen as an example your friends could possibly crash land at the top and you can either co-exist or fight it out i mean would this not take this game to the next level?

not saying i can but maybe someone reads this and BOOM on comes a lightbulb and a little while after that me and the gang can raid each other stupid :D
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Darker

I have thought about multiplayer options a lot. Generally, the problem is that I have no idea how to hook the code. The client that connects to the server would need all thing behavior overriden, so that it would mirror whatever is happening on the server side.
This sounds almost impossible as of now.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Evul

Even if all commands and orders is running from one server hosted side?

And the Client connected need to synced to the host?

I'm no expert on multiplayer :P

jamieg

well i guess i can dream i spoke to my pal and he said atm it would be easy to create a whole new game and integrate multiplayer into it from the start than to put multiplayer into rimworld.
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Darker

He was probably right. Current concept doesn't seem to be multiplayer friendly, mostly because the game itself wasn't meant to be a multiplayer one. Yet, I'd still enjoy some multiplayer into it.

I'll wait till the concept turns better for multiplayer, then I'll implement LAN multiplayer.

I also thought of some interned pseudo-multiplayer (sending resources to other players) however I failed to figure out, how to make this griefer proof.

Sion

Quote from: Darker on April 07, 2014, 08:14:57 AM
I have thought about multiplayer options a lot. Generally, the problem is that I have no idea how to hook the code. The client that connects to the server would need all thing behavior overriden, so that it would mirror whatever is happening on the server side.
This sounds almost impossible as of now.

Quote from: Evul on April 07, 2014, 08:36:17 AM
Even if all commands and orders is running from one server hosted side?

And the Client connected need to synced to the host?

I'm no expert on multiplayer :P

Would it be possible to make some kind of P2P thing instead of a client/server?
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Darker

P2P is smarter means of multiplayer, but the problem remains the same - hooking world behavior and controling it via means of multiplayer.

As of rim world, I suppose there still must be one leading client that decides the random events. They can't happen on the wires between...

Sion

Quote from: Darker on April 07, 2014, 03:19:10 PM
As of rim world, I suppose there still must be one leading client that decides the random events. They can't happen on the wires between...

From how I have understood P2P the program is kind of a server/client hybrid, so how about the P2P clients taking turns to be random?
or one of them "decides" to be the random generator?
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Darker

Usually, it works like that:

The server, or host, or whatever you wish to call it, generates a map and sends it to the others. Everyone then keeps the map. As the game goes, every player contributes changes to the map and broadcast them to others. At this time, the host is responsible for generating everything that is global.

I believe that if the host is gone, some logic selects another player to be the host.

If you're interested, you can also read this short reply, though it doesn't say much more than what can be deducted from the p2p concept itself.