Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Tynan on December 18, 2016, 04:01:09 PM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 03:19:12 PM
The v1391 savefiles are much larger than previous versions'.

Which previous versions? Alpha 15?

No, the previous A16 unstable builds. They've gotten so big I can't even zip the smallest mapsizes below the forums' 600kb attachment limit. I've added a screenshot of my Save folder for the unstable versions for reference. The smallest world/map size is now on par with previous versions' 100% world/normal mapsize saves, and the current 100%/large save is larger than my previous 100%/ludeonicrous saves.

Admittedly, it wouldn't be much of a problem, except it now means I can't attach any zipped savefiles to bug report posts without uploading them to a 3rd-party file hoster.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Tynan

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 07:31:46 PM

No, the previous A16 unstable builds. They've gotten so big I can't even zip the smallest mapsizes below the forums' 600kb attachment limit. I've added a screenshot of my Save folder for the unstable versions for reference. The smallest world/map size is now on par with previous versions' 100% world/normal mapsize saves, and the current 100%/large save is larger than my previous 100%/ludeonicrous saves.

Admittedly, it wouldn't be much of a problem, except it now means I can't attach any zipped savefiles to bug report posts without uploading them to a 3rd-party file hoster.

As ReZ discussed, it's likely just different biomes with different densities of objects to save.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Tynan on December 18, 2016, 07:34:01 PM
As ReZ discussed, it's likely just different biomes with different densities of objects to save.

Yeah, I just did a tundra save and that seems to be more similar to previous builds' size; I did have a string of cold biomes, but normally I try to randomize starts as much as possible for testing. Regardless, it still means the savefiles are too large to zip-attach to bug reports. Can you increase the Bug subforum's attachment size limit?

ChJees

When i tried to assemble a caravan in the latest update the pawns never paused to stock it to get some sleep and food thus turning them insane with a mental break. Would be lovely if they had any kind of self preservation instincts kick in :P.

And now when i got everything researched it would be nice if it was given some purpose outside its namesake... Faster component creation maybe?

Pushover

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 18, 2016, 07:31:46 PM

I find I can no longer use the default windows algorithm, but 7Zip compresses down to ~450 KB, which attaches quite fine.

Polder

Don't try to build a colony on sea ice. It's absolutely not intended or designed for that.

Players will assume that it's designed as challenge since it's possible to start a colony there.

ReZpawner

It's technically possible to build a colony at the polar icecaps. The main issue is of course the cold, so you'll need some (a lot of) luck to survive it. Basically, it depends on the temperatures, amount of useful drops, and amount of orbital traders you get.
You won't get any caravans stopping by due to the temperatures, so orbital is the only way to get resources.
With the exception of the tribal start, all the starting types have enough resources to set up a starting-base with hydroponics.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 19, 2016, 04:05:30 AM
It's technically possible to build a colony at the polar icecaps. The main issue is of course the cold, so you'll need some (a lot of) luck to survive it. Basically, it depends on the temperatures, amount of useful drops, and amount of orbital traders you get.
You won't get any caravans stopping by due to the temperatures, so orbital is the only way to get resources.
With the exception of the tribal start, all the starting types have enough resources to set up a starting-base with hydroponics.

That's the spirit! Always look for possibilities.

Neotic

Quote from: Polder on December 19, 2016, 03:59:12 AM
Don't try to build a colony on sea ice. It's absolutely not intended or designed for that.

Players will assume that it's designed as challenge since it's possible to start a colony there.
Watch people complain about it. There should be a notification saying" it's near impossible to live here" when choosing to land there
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

deepSeaKing

colonist or prisoners equipped with gears which make them comfortable to -50' still  they get slept in the cold mood debuff at -4' why is it happening.

skullywag

The sleptincold thought seems to only care about the pawns stats not his adjusted stats based on what hes wearing. Is that correct, technically he still slept in the cold he just wasnt cold while sleeping...Tynan?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: deepSeaKing on December 19, 2016, 06:00:05 AM
colonist or prisoners equipped with gears which make them comfortable to -50' still  they get slept in the cold mood debuff at -4' why is it happening.

Balance to make a warmed up bedroom better then one that is not. Assume they prefer to sleep without all those clothes on.

This was implemented a couple of alphas ago, and is working as intended.

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on December 19, 2016, 07:06:40 AM
Quote from: deepSeaKing on December 19, 2016, 06:00:05 AM

Balance to make a warmed up bedroom better then one that is not. Assume they prefer to sleep without all those clothes on.

This was implemented a couple of alphas ago, and is working as intended.

ok i got the point, but now that colonist get debuff from wearing clothes from dead raiders so the only way of getting worm clothes is to make them or from traders so maybe now that getting worm cloth is not that easy it would be fine for them to not getting any negative even in cold. this is what i think.. i could be wrong though

Tynan

I've just uploaded release candidate 4, hopefully this will turn out to be the last one! Just some essential bugfixes (it's too late for anything else).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

alxddd

just a few thoughts so far.

- Love this update!
- would be very useful to know the distance or travel time to any point or colony on the map without having to assemble a caravan.
- i formed a caravan during a toxic fallout and sent them out for weeks with no affect. toxic fallout should affect the whole planet at once - or at least huge sections of it - including when your caravan is traveling and adjacent tiles if choosing to settle, trade or attack. you could even go as far as creating a visual discolouration of affected hexagons.
- speaking of hexagons, hexagonal world tiles and square settlement tiles don't add up. i know this is probably a huge change to ask for, but could you change the settlements' shapes to match the world map?
- the saddlebags over the muffalos' backs should be something that needs to be crafted, if for no other reason than immersion. if there's going to be a visual of a colonist going to get it and putting it on the muffalo, it should come from somewhere. could be an easy addition to the tailor and could be a nice way to use up some small amounts of leather that often end up just lying around until they can be traded away.

that's all for now in my limited playtime so far. thanks for all of your hard work!