[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kori

Quote from: Tocato on August 21, 2019, 03:12:22 AM
Quote from: Tocato on August 18, 2019, 05:36:12 AM
is the front page the latest download? does anyone have a link to the most recent stable version?
does anyone know?

It says 0.5b but links to 0.5c, which is the latest.

cerebralpolicy

Quote from: Kori on August 19, 2019, 07:09:58 AM
Quote from: cerebralpolicy on August 18, 2019, 04:17:03 PM
Will there ever be a patch for humanoid alien races?

Use BnC and its alien patch.

That isn't really satisfactory as it forces you to use RJW. I like CnP's reproduction system.

lbmaian

Didn't want to announce this too early, but I've been working on some fixes to C&P for the past couple weeks. Mostly updating the XML to Rimworld 1.0 standards, peppering the codebase with notes and TODOs (including preparing for future Alien Race support), and trying to address job priorities (<- this is what I'm currently stuck on). Hope to release a minimally tested version in a week or so.

xrogaan

Quote from: lbmaian on August 22, 2019, 11:01:41 PM
Didn't want to announce this too early, but I've been working on some fixes to C&P for the past couple weeks. Mostly updating the XML to Rimworld 1.0 standards, peppering the codebase with notes and TODOs (including preparing for future Alien Race support), and trying to address job priorities (<- this is what I'm currently stuck on). Hope to release a minimally tested version in a week or so.
Why not use BnC as a base instead?

lbmaian

Quote from: xrogaan on August 23, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
Why not use BnC as a base instead?

Because a) it's codebase is a mess, and b) I do want to keep the pregnancy mechanics of CnP. If there's anything I want from BnC, I can just port it over to CnP.

Tocato

Currently running orassian. Drow, Nihal and Logann alien races. Cant wait to try your version so i can babies of all of them running around. How would it handle halfbreeds though? incompatibility?

lbmaian

Quote from: Tocato on August 23, 2019, 03:29:50 PM
Currently running orassian. Drow, Nihal and Logann alien races. Cant wait to try your version so i can babies of all of them running around. How would it handle halfbreeds though? incompatibility?

Well first of all, I'm not working on alien race support yet - doing some initial planning and adding todos to places, yes - but not actual work yet. I'm focusing on improving the codebase and XML and fixing bugs right now.

The first version with alien race support, whenever it arrives, will most likely just be as simple as inheriting mother's race only. But I do want to lay the proper groundwork, complete with XML driven data along with auto-generated generic defaults so that most races would work seamlessly without patching, rendering addons like tails and ears on children properly (though doing so on babies and toddlers might be rather difficult, so that could be delayed further), and so forth. More advanced support, including halfbreeds if available, will be implemented iteratively.

RikuOrihara

Yeah, i have a round with rjw. It adds some "interesting" mechanics but i think for babys and childs, i like the original Children and Pregnancys more.

Besides Toys and deco objects for Kids (might import the thrumbo doll), is there a chance to implement twins or tripplets?
Maybe with a turn off option for those who like to have just one.
Also my Babys with C&P always have just 1 trait. That should be fixed too.

And can someone make clothing that fit babys? With "dress patients" you are able to dress downed pawns. But the Onsies for toddlers dont look right xD

lbmaian

Progress is slow but still plodding through. I'm having to understand and cross-reference all the systems that CnP touches with Rimworld XML and code from A16 to R1.0 and the history of CnP itself. I'm pretty much doing an audit of sorts to identify all the stuff that needs updating, fixing, or otherwise improving. I'm about finished with the XML updates, or about as far as I'm willing to go right now. Still fixing/updating critical or low hanging fruit in code. If you're really interested in the progress, you can find my forked mess in gitlab.

Quote from: RikuOrihara on August 26, 2019, 04:20:12 AM
Besides Toys and deco objects for Kids (might import the thrumbo doll), is there a chance to implement twins or tripplets?
It's actually already possible, but very rare. Less than 2% chance for twins, and far rarer for triplets.

QuoteAlso my Babys with C&P always have just 1 trait. That should be fixed too.
There is a chance that it only picks 1 trait, but it should usually pick 2. I'll put it on the investigation list.

RikuOrihara

I had 15 babys, i think. No twins and no one with more than 1 trait. If i remember right. But i use many mods. I should test it vanilla. Maybe an option to change the chance for more babys myself? I dont want to make 100 babys to get twins one time xD
If you do an alien compatibility, this option for every race? Maybe to much work.
Ah, and the steam version fixed the hat problem. Might be a help for you.

Can you link it?

Ruisuki

when playing with the baby automatically the colonists keep getting stuck in a standing work phase

RikuOrihara

Yeah its a bug long known, even the steam version has it. Give the Baby a TV, so the Parents dont need to play with it so often. Or if you use Work Tab, turn playing off.

lbmaian

Quote from: RikuOrihara on August 29, 2019, 05:06:45 AM
I had 15 babys, i think. No twins and no one with more than 1 trait. If i remember right. But i use many mods. I should test it vanilla. Maybe an option to change the chance for more babys myself? I dont want to make 100 babys to get twins one time xD
If you do an alien compatibility, this option for every race? Maybe to much work.
I did some testing and I did randomly get triplets once.

Maybe there could be a fertility drug that not only increases pregnancy chance, but also the chance for twins and triplets (as in real life).

QuoteAh, and the steam version fixed the hat problem. Might be a help for you.
Is the steam version different from the one linked on these forums (gitlab)? I've  forked from the latest branch in gitlab.

QuoteCan you link it?
If you're talking about my WIP version, it's not ready yet. If you're technically inclined and adventurous enough, you can find my latest fork/branch on gitlab, but I'm not going to advertise any link yet.

Quote from: Ruisuki on August 30, 2019, 12:54:15 AM
when playing with the baby automatically the colonists keep getting stuck in a standing work phase
Quote from: RikuOrihara on August 30, 2019, 03:01:41 AM
Yeah its a bug long known, even the steam version has it. Give the Baby a TV, so the Parents dont need to play with it so often. Or if you use Work Tab, turn playing off.
I couldn't reproduce this, at least with my WIP version. Though I didn't make any functional changes with the playing with baby work/job yet, other than allowing opportunistic hauling before it.

Quote from: lbmaian on August 28, 2019, 05:57:57 AM
QuoteAlso my Babys with C&P always have just 1 trait. That should be fixed too.
There is a chance that it only picks 1 trait, but it should usually pick 2. I'll put it on the investigation list.
Also tested this, and I did sometimes get 0, 1, and 2 traits. These are genetic traits that have to be inherited from the parents. Sometimes parents don't have genetic traits, which can result in 0 such traits in the baby.

I'll be adding a fallback where if the parents don't have any genetic traits, the baby will get a random genetic trait of a random degree (rationalized as a recessive trait or mutation). Might also add random chance to get an additional genetic trait if the there's only one inherited trait from the parents.

Ruisuki

so how do babies get traits? i assume they dont get backstories either? not sure if RF editable backstories allows this for adults

also how i get them to wear the onesie

lbmaian

Quote from: Ruisuki on August 31, 2019, 06:56:02 PM
so how do babies get traits? i assume they dont get backstories either? not sure if RF editable backstories allows this for adults
At birth, babies gain up to two "(epi)genetic" traits from their parents. If the parents don't have such traits, then the baby doesn't inherit a trait. "Genetic" traits are currently: psychopath, gay, beauty, industriousness (e.g. lazy), too smart, greedy, jealous, drug desire (e.g. teetotaler), natural mood (e.g. sanguine), nerves (e.g. steadfast) psychic sensitivity. This is probably a controversial list, so I do intend to move it to XML to make it easily moddable.

When the child hits teenager age (13), the child can gain additional traits up to a max of 3 total traits, depending on life events: cannibal, bloodlust, shooting accuracy (e.g. trigger-happy), brawler, misandrist, misogynist, neurotic.

Children born in the colony have a "blank" childhood backstory, since you the player are essentially developing their backstory. This is the same rationale behind where children colonists don't get adult backstories even in vanilla Rimworld - you're essentially developing their adult backstory as you play!

Quotealso how i get them to wear the onesie
Right now you can't force newborns to use onesies or beanies. You have to use a mod like Dress Patients (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1667901146 ) to dress them. But there are currently no baby clothes graphics for newborns, so it won't look good.

Toddlers, both crawling (<1 age) and upright (>1 age) can move so you can get them to wear baby clothing, and graphics work for them just fine.

Children older than toddlers (and adults, of course) can't wear baby clothing.