[A17] Nerve Stapling v2.2 (upd 2017/Jun/8)

Started by Thirite, January 09, 2017, 12:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

Nerve Stapling v2.2

Adds the "nerve staple" implant to the game.

Nerve staples are, "an excellent tool for turning the previously unruly and antisocial into productive and beneficial members of society-- with only a minor case of irreversible brain damage." A small implant inserted near the bottom of the skull, the nerve staple routes microscopic fibres into the 'reward circuit' of the brain to quickly condition the subject to engage in positive and obedient behaviours.

So what does it actually do in terms of gameplay?
- Immediately forces the affected pawn to join your faction
- The pawn receives a permanent +20 mood buff to simulate their newfound obedience and complacency
- Any disabled work types the pawn previously had will be rescinded
- All passions the pawn had will be removed
- The pawn will occasionally suffer bouts of confusion due to the nerve staple's invasive structure
- Researching "Neural Implants" allows creation of Nerve Staples, Joywires, and Painstoppers at the Machining Table (non-EPOE)

EPOE & RBSE Compatibility
NerveStapling is coded in a way that makes it capable of both Standalone and EPOE or RBSE integrated behaviour. Upon game start, if NerveStapling detects one of the two mods active, it will automatically integrate itself into the mod's systems. Otherwise, it will default to its own simpler systems for research and implant creation. This is entirely automatic and requires no input or bothering of the user with the traditional method of installing compatibility patches. Load Order between Nerve Stapling and EPOE/RBSE is also irrelevant (as long as it is loaded below HugsLib).

Requires HugsLib to function.

v2.2 Download Here

Change Log:
v2.2 - Added RBSE compatibility mode
v2.1 - Fixed minor error with EPOE compatibility mode
v2.0 - Updated to A17
v1.0 - Initial release

Permissions
Licensed CC-BY-NC-SA.

Sefin

System.Linq

You can use reflection to access and modify private variables.

Thirite

Yeah, that's what I had to do. But in this case it's really a "private variable that you shouldn't actually touch" sort of thing. The private variable is generated solely by the pawn's backstories and traits, but it really ought to have some publicly accessible List variable that overrides the work types/tags defined in backstory and traits. Maybe it would be a good addition to HugsLib or something to add that functionality. ^^

Tgr

This is really cool, but any chance of adding mood debuffs to other colonists?

My feeling would be one that is a big debuff for the nerve stapled colonist's friends, i.e. "An unthinkable abuse of science happened to someone close to me," (not applying to psychopaths) and a lesser one that's broadly applicable, "They're using nerve staples to keep us in line. It can't happen to me, can it?" that applies to everyone in the colony equally.

The current tradeoffs are already pretty well thought out and significant, but given this is a kind of nuclear option for discipline or morale perhaps there should be some social consequences for resorting to it.

Grabarz

Probably I'm asking for impossible but ...

this mod seems great -something new in RimWorld, however if You could make "trait changer chip" which allows us to change not wanted traits like slothful but not without price for example making those chips extremely expensive like 15000 silver

Thirite

Quote from: TREH on January 09, 2017, 03:24:26 AM
Apart from a specific thought for friends being nerve stapled, relevant thoughts are already there. There's a thought for a colonist being nerve stapled, a thought for a rival being nerve stapled, and a specific thought for prisoners when a fellow prisoner is nerve stapled. Though it's a good idea to have an especially bad thought if a close friend gets stapled.

Quote from: Grabarz on January 09, 2017, 04:21:25 AM
It wouldn't be particularly difficult to make a mod which does that simply by repurposing my code. O Negative even pointed out this mod could be easily modified to make a simple 'Plastic Surgery' mod.

Yukino

Would be cool if there's a chance for the brain fruitless attempt to see some result with the help of external force in the form of a hit to the head, thunder strike, turning it off with other people medical surgery, etc. Though we can't just let them run rampant, so we need to knock them out and restart the staple, or use the failsafe and blow up their brain like how we shut down the centipede.

Thirite

Hm, some interesting ideas. How it works 'in universe' is that the nerve staple conditions the brain via the reward circuit to engage in certain behaviours while also conditioning aversion to unwanted behaviours by triggering negative stimuli in response to 'negative' thought patterns.

Put simply, even if a nerve staple were removed, the subject would retain the affects, but would suffer increasing mental illness due to lack of the staple's regulatory affect. I'll have to add the surgery to remove them in the next update, and perhaps the possibility for them to be damaged.

T-Wrecks

Any chance you could make a light version that doesn't let you produce other sorts of chips? I have EPOE and I can already do that and thus it is inconsistent with other mods that I own.

Techgenius

This mod is simply amazing, I wish you could make true lobotomites, turn them into mind slaves with these neuro implants, mindless obedient drones.

+1 on EPOE patch

Thirite

Oh, I wasn't even aware EPOE covered that. I'll make an EPOE compatible version and add it to the OP shortly.

NotSoSubtle

Bug report time.

Stapled my first pawn, worked as described for a 3-4 hour game session with no problems. I saved twice during that time. When I load either save the stapled pawn still doesn't list any negative qualities, but is blocked from working the same jobs as before being stapled.

loading with debug gave me no errors. If there's any info I can send that might help, let me know.

Thirite

Aw fug. I guess I will have to detour the code responsible for querying if a work type is disabled or not. I didn't want to if I could get away with it, because detouring code can cause mod incompatibilities. Oh well.

Iwillbenicetou

anything for steam? Would be sweet if you could
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!