[A16] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, January 12, 2017, 05:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mason_water

i would love to see some way to make rough stone you can smooth and be just like normal smooth stone

Lerin

How to add Hay to butcher table recipes ?

dburgdorf

Small update:

- Hay can now be used in the creation of compost.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

fetusthebard

Am I the only one having issues with the provided link? I refuse to use steam for Rimworld (specifically because of modding), but I'd still like this mod. Just wondering if it's an issue on my end.

dburgdorf

Quote from: fetusthebard on January 23, 2017, 10:25:27 PM
Am I the only one having issues with the provided link?

What problem, exactly, are you having? I just double-checked, and the Dropbox link seems to be fine.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

MarineStardust

so if people want to have a farm inside a mountain then they have to give up using tilled soil, that sad.
look like i will be waiting for the tilled soil mod to be updated, at least that mod don't punish people for where they want to put their farm at

dburgdorf

Quote from: MarineStardust on January 24, 2017, 02:52:43 PMso if people want to have a farm inside a mountain then they have to give up using tilled soil, that sad.

Yes, there's a trade-off. The fact that you can't till soil that you laid over smooth stone inside of a mountain means that you have to trade a small bit of efficiency for the significant increase in security that the mountain gives you. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Quote from: MarineStardust on January 24, 2017, 02:52:43 PMlook like i will be waiting for the tilled soil mod to be updated, at least that mod don't punish people for where they want to put their farm at

The beauty of modding is that it lets you tailor the game to be exactly what you want it to be. What you see as "punishment," others see as a nod to realism and game balance. "Tilled Soil" and "Fertile Fields" offer two different ways to accomplish similar goals. If you prefer your soil enhancements to be cost-free, then by all means, continue using "Tilled Soil." (And by the way, I don't know what you mean about waiting for it to update, as it was updated for a16 a month ago.) But other players consider "Tilled Soil" to be overpowered, and so I've offered "Fertile Fields" as an alternative.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Draegon

I love this mod so much, keep it up! Question though, although this is a mod for farming would it be possible to have some terraforming too? Like turn stone to gravel then to sand or something. As well as maybe have a way to turn dirt into shallow water.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Draegon on January 24, 2017, 07:50:36 PM
I love this mod so much, keep it up! Question though, although this is a mod for farming would it be possible to have some terraforming too? Like turn stone to gravel then to sand or something. As well as maybe have a way to turn dirt into shallow water.

I'm always subject to persuasion, but honestly, my initial gut response is that both of those options -- turning stone directly into soil (as opposed to just layering soil over it) and turning soil into actual water (as opposed to marshy terrain) -- are more extreme than I'm really comfortable adding.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dismar

It would be awesome to some more to the credits

I feel a bit unloved.

dburgdorf

Quote from: dismar on January 25, 2017, 11:42:30 PM
It would be awesome to some more to the credits

I feel a bit unloved.

My apologies. The absence of a "Credits" note was an unintentional oversight, which has now been fixed.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Flimflamshabam

Only thing I think could be improved is the production of fertilizer, maybe try to make compost bins that are reusable, like the beer kegs.

dburgdorf

Update:

- Added compost barrels as an alternative to compost bins. They require power, but convert 10 compost at a time to fertilizer instead of just one. They're also reusable.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Bug fix:

- Shallow water tiles can now actually be reclaimed as soil (with Advanced Terrain Reclamation research). It wasn't actually working before. :(

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

gendalf

suggestions:
- Make compost bins, when built in bulk, buildable in a square (like floors) instead of a line (like walls)
- Add ability to turn land into shallow water, swamp, sand, basically to be able to turn whatever into whatever, for aesthetic or defensive purposes.