[A18] High Tech Laboratory Facilities

Started by Pravus, January 13, 2017, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravus

High Tech Laboratory Facilities

This mod started out as a personal project for myself to use in my own game but due to requests I decided to release it publicly.  I made this mod due to feeling that the graphics for the "hi-tech research bench" and "comms console" were a bit too boring and plain for my liking so I decided to make my own graphics for them.  Following that I decided to continue modifying and adding research assets to fit the theme I was working toward.  Full disclosure, I didn't work on this mod to the point that I would normally consider fully finished and there are a few parts I never felt fully satisfied with (the ground-penetrating scanner graphic being one example as I never could come up with a fully realized design that I liked).  I am also currently playing other games and focusing on other matters in my life so I doubt I'll undertake any further updates anytime soon.  To make up for that however I included a little bonus:

• tailor-made lab coats that slightly enhance research skills
  • a late game research project that unlocks plans for an advanced powered combat exoskeleton
  • custom graphics for both (exoskeleton artwork based upon the incomparable rooki1's work!)

Quick and dirty update!  Added native minification def to all items due to popular request.  All usable research items (Hi-Tech Research Bench, Laboratory Station, and Research Terminal) now link with the MultiAnalyzer and each other for a benefit of +10% research speed per link.  This hopefully makes up for the Laboratory Station and Research Terminal not counting as Hi-Tech Research Benches for the purpose of actively researching technologies with the bench specifically noted as a prerequisite.  Enjoy!

Download:
Dropbox
Steam Workshop

License:
Modders are welcome to utilize assets included in this mod as they see fit though attribution is always appreciated!

zmadz

Joshwoo70

looks neato.. can see inspiration taken from stock game.. well done :)

asquirrel

joaonunes

Just to be sure, this adds another research table and comms console or replaces the existing ones? That will probably have some impact on the ability to use this mod on existing saves :P
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

ADM-Ntek

it replaces the hi-tech research table and comms unit. it worked for me on an existing save however i had to move both since they are smaller and for some reason the comms is rotated by 180°

Pravus

Quick update!  Several people asked for the ability to pick up and move the items in this mod so I added the minification def to all included assets.

Also a few have mentioned that the Laboratory Station and Research Terminal items don't count as Hi-Tech Research Benches when a technology specifically requires the Hi-Tech Research Bench in order to be researched.  I can't really fix that as any and all research definitions that reference the Hi-Tech Research Bench as a requisite would need to have some sort of code injected to tell RimWorld that the Laboratory Station and Research Terminals should be considered equivalent alternatives to the Hi-Tech Research Bench itself.  Doing so would require a time investment as well as the effort to research into how to accomplish such that I just can't spare at the moment.  In order to hopefully make up for that fact I made it so that the Hi-Tech Research Bench, Laboratory Station, Research Terminal and MultiAnalyzer can all link with one another providing a +10% bonus to research speed for each respectively.

Hope this addresses some of your major concerns but feel free to leave any feedback you wish!

joaonunes

Quote from: ADM-Ntek on January 19, 2017, 02:59:54 PM
it replaces the hi-tech research table and comms unit. it worked for me on an existing save however i had to move both since they are smaller and for some reason the comms is rotated by 180°

Alright, with the new minimization def there will no issues at all then :D

Quote from: Pravus on January 19, 2017, 04:24:22 PM
Quick update!  Several people asked for the ability to pick up and move the items in this mod so I added the minification def to all included assets.

Also a few have mentioned that the Laboratory Station and Research Terminal items don't count as Hi-Tech Research Benches when a technology specifically requires the Hi-Tech Research Bench to be researched.  I can't really fix that as any and all research definitions that reference the Hi-Tech Research Bench as a requisite for researching them would need to have some sort of code injected to tell RimWorld that the Laboratory Station and Research Terminals should be considered alternatives and equivalent to the Hi-Tech Research Bench itself.  Doing so would require a time investment as well as the effort to research into how to accomplish such that I just can't spare at the moment.  In order to hopefully make up for that fact I made it so that the Hi-Tech Research Bench, Laboratory Station, Research Terminal and MultiAnalyzer can all link with one another providing a +10% bonus to research speed for each respectively.

Hope this addresses some of your major concerns but feel free to leave any feedback you wish!

Alternative tables would be nice but making them add a bonus to research is cool too, I never had more than 1 pawn researching at a time so... Bonus it is :D
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

Harry_Dicks

Looking forward to using this mod, but I'm curious why there would be a hidden desktop.ini file in the textures\things\apparel folder?

SpaceDorf

Because Windows is an Asshole and puts it shit everywhere when you are not looking.

Happened to me as well, when I was working a mod, but I can't recall the circumstances at the moment.

I ended up with a desktop.ini in every subfolder of the mod
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 08, 2018, 04:19:24 AM
Because Windows is an Asshole and puts it shit everywhere when you are not looking.

Happened to me as well, when I was working a mod, but I can't recall the circumstances at the moment.

I ended up with a desktop.ini in every subfolder of the mod

Thanks SpaceDorf. Sometimes I just compare the properties of mods folders to see when I updated or created it, look at file size comparison, amount of files/folders, etc. I saw 1 of the downloads for this mod had 1 more file than a different download, and it was driving me crazy to find it until I turned on the view hidden items setting.. :P

ultra4

Hey Pravus, is there any chance to plug the machines back into B19?

Modraneth

ultra4

Could any modder please pick up this lost gem? the OP seems MIA, it's a simple yet cool + useful if you plan on incorporating a ton of techy mods