Traps for hunting

Started by TK, January 18, 2017, 08:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK

I've been playing purely tribals (140~hrs), haven't even touched the other gamemodes yet. Here's my suggestion to reduce hunter micromanagement.

• Traps for hunting animals. Either pitfalls, cages, bear irons, ropes that tighten around the legs. These would be automatically assigned high under the "hunt" -category, therefore differing from the deadfall -defensetraps. The upkeep of these needs a fresh bait (food) and a one-time -setup (wood / steel). Hunter would go around "checking traps" every now and then to make mass-trapping not viable. Simplest ones (for smallest animals) would require no technology to prepare, whereas certain larger animal traps (bear irons) would need smithing. Operating the traps requires no skill, but the setup is made faster by construction. Traps may not always work, for example only wounding an animal could cause manhunt. Enjoy the rare Thrumbos!

This game is insanely addictive, well done devs!
-TK

Albionthegreat

I love your ideas. They are amazing and when playing the game I felt the same way about the hunting aspect. I always expected there be a lot of turrets or other defensive structures but to my surprise there weren't too many. That's why I love your idea so much. When a raider comes and he accidentally comes in contact with a bear iron there is a high chance the trap would trigger resulting in the raider getting hurt. The rope tightening around the legs could maybe hang from a tree, giving another use for them besides wood. There's always a chance that the trap doesn't trigger. Maybe this could depend on the hunting skill of the colonist who set the trap up? Anyway, absolutely love your idea and I am looking forward to maybe having this getting implemented in the game some day.

Best of luck,
- Albion

Stormfox

I really like the trapping concept. Perhaps someone could make a mod out of that?