[1.0] Inspiration (v1.0.0) Faster skill progression

Started by Nitrodev, January 23, 2017, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valak

Looks like a fun mod. Would it be possible to the the attachment uploaded again?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 08, 2017, 08:20:04 PM

• Include unit of measure with every variable; it will help you think
  • Avoid using percentages whenever possible, because they don't play well together. AKA unforseen consequences
  • Anything that can be adjusted should be a count of something, ie a linear variable. Non-linear models are for examining an aggregate; manipulation belongs to the ground level sub-components generally referred to as contributing factors.

One the one hand
Speed of 10 miles/hour is twice as fast as 5 miles/hour, and acceleration of 10 miles/hour2 doubles speed twice as fast as 5 miles/hour2. These examples are already reaching the edges of usable comprehension.  The units of measure are an identical size across their range, and perform according to basic arithmetic wherever they are used.

And on the other
Compare that to a system where level is a different number of xp at each tier. More expensive mobs are then thrown into the mix when it is later discovered that killing 300,000 sewer rats just isn't gonna do the do, and also begging the question of why the size changed for both in the first place. Shortly thereafter it is discovered the number of relatively high level mobs encountered has to be carefully balanced to the tier-level or else the character will either immediately jump up a tier or stall out.

The RNG takes a back seat and xp-based leveling is reduced to farming timed spawn points. The games generated by that system become scripted and episodic. The process eventually devolves into just handing out the necessary xp in end-boss/quest missions, putting the lie to leveling up with random creature xp.

What's really going on
What is really going on is deceleration of level-ups per xp, which has it's most direct unit of measure as levels/xp2
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

NicJames2378

Quote from: Valak on October 08, 2017, 10:38:41 PM
Looks like a fun mod. Would it be possible to the the attachment uploaded again?

Second this. Anyone got a download I can get?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on October 09, 2017, 05:19:08 PM
Compare that to a system where level is a different number of xp at each tier. More expensive mobs are then thrown into the mix when it is later discovered that killing 300,000 sewer rats just isn't gonna do the do, and also begging the question of why the size changed for both in the first place. Shortly thereafter it is discovered the number of relatively high level mobs encountered has to be carefully balanced to the tier-level or else the character will either immediately jump up a tier or stall out. The RNG takes a back seat, and games generated by that system become scripted and episodic. The process eventually devolves into just handing out the necessary xp in end-boss/quest missions, putting the lie to leveling up with random creature xp.

WoW ... I wish I knew to which kind of games you were referring  ;D

And sorry .. You got me with this Mod, I don't have it.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

asdfasfdawsefawsef

Quote from: NicJames2378 on October 09, 2017, 10:26:32 PM

Also would like a direct download

CourierSix06

Quote from: asdfasfdawsefawsef on October 12, 2017, 12:08:14 PM
Quote from: NicJames2378 on October 09, 2017, 10:26:32 PM

Also would like a direct download

Would also like download.

Beathrus

Nitrodev

Oh man. So sorry guys about the download going too old. I'll add it again tomorrow.
Author of Inspiration

Also check out Absolutely No Roof

Beathrus

Quote from: Nitrodev on October 12, 2017, 05:41:20 PM
Oh man. So sorry guys about the download going too old. I'll add it again tomorrow.

But But But... D:

Nitrodev

I have added a link to the download via Dropbox, since this is easier. And again, i apologize for being off for a long time.
[EDIT] Let me put the link here too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynr30zh0kf6dfe7/Inspiration_A17_v.1.3.0.zip?dl=0
Author of Inspiration

Valak

Beathrus

Kori

Would it be possible to make the XP boost configurable via XML, please?
I would like to raise the XP for an inspiring dream, since 200 isn't enough to even justify the alert.  :D
(I know there is also the mood boost, but still..)

Nitrodev

Quote from: Kori on November 07, 2017, 12:54:19 AM
Would it be possible to make the XP boost configurable via XML, please?
I would like to raise the XP for an inspiring dream, since 200 isn't enough to even justify the alert.  :D
(I know there is also the mood boost, but still..)

I'll see what i can do.

In other news, since B18 came, would you guys be fine with me postponing the port to newest version in favor of doing what Kori suggested above? (The port will be coming regardless.)
Author of Inspiration