Editing backstories?

Started by TrashMan, January 30, 2017, 06:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

I want to change all the backstories to remove most "Incapable of" and replace them with "Aversion/Hate" (would work opposite of passion, penalty to learning skill).

I recall that a few versions ago most of that stuff was non-editable. Has anything changed? Can it be modded now?

RawCode

not possible with plain XML and unlikely to ever be possible due to how backstory stuff is implemented internally.

Thirite

Wouldn't it be possible to detour the method(s) that use the disabled work type/tag lists and have them not actually disable anything? Then just add a thought worker for "hated work" that checks the current job against the disabled type/tag lists.

I haven't taken a very close look at the source but it seems like it ought to be totally possible.

TrashMan

Quote from: RawCode on January 30, 2017, 09:28:42 AM
not possible with plain XML and unlikely to ever be possible due to how backstory stuff is implemented internally.

Then we should pester Ty to change that.
What a HORRIBLE design decision.
Seriously

RawCode

please check forum for "rewards" section and you will get some awareness about reasons of this "horrible" design.

also you may use search function, at least 4 such mods already posted.

TrashMan

Quote from: RawCode on January 31, 2017, 12:04:30 PM
please check forum for "rewards" section and you will get some awareness about reasons of this "horrible" design.

I know, so no one can change the super-snowflake backstories of high-plege supporters?
Still a terrible idea. Still a horrible design decision.
It's basically neutering modding and improvement for the sake of a few egotists (yes, I went there)

And what mods? I thought it couldn't be changed?
Either it can't be or it can be. It can't be both.

Thirite

But... you wouldn't need to change the backstories. At all. They're just variables. Change the way the variables are used, not the variables themselves.

RawCode

Quote from: TrashMan on February 01, 2017, 02:45:41 AM
Quote from: RawCode on January 31, 2017, 12:04:30 PM

I know, so no one can change the super-snowflake backstories of high-plege supporters?
Still a terrible idea. Still a horrible design decision.
It's basically neutering modding and improvement for the sake of a few egotists (yes, I went there)

And what mods? I thought it couldn't be changed?
Either it can't be or it can be. It can't be both.

i can repeat more if you want

TrashMan

The only thing I found is something alluding that the Alien Framework might be able to override them or something.

RawCode

TrashMan

In other words, no one made an actual mod, but just some hints on how it could be done....

RawCode

in other words, no spoonfeeding here, you can get fish pole, but no fish.

Tammabanana

Quote from: RawCode on February 03, 2017, 10:02:42 AM
in other words, no spoonfeeding here, you can get fish pole, but no fish.

WTF, RawCode, if you don't want to answer a question, don't bother to hit Reply. You're just antagonizing people.

TrashMan, CCL allowed backstory creation. CCL hasn't been updated to A16, but I've seen somebody in the modders' Discord working on it. I'll ask about the state of the backstory parts.

A bunch of the alien race mods are using erdelf's alien race framework (can't remember it's exact name), which has backstory components that I believe were based on the CCL. It looks to me like it's been written in context of generating a new alien faction, so I don't know if it can be used to generate colonist/tribal/outlander backstories. I haven't played with that yet.

Editing the vanilla backstories might be more complicated, though. They're in some kind of hard-coded database or something, not in defs, so.... I don't know if you can use the CCL-based XML def creation method to overwrite those.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Thirite

RawCode might act like a jerk but he gave a perfectly valid solution to disabling "incapable of x work".

Razzoriel

Quote from: Tammabanana on February 04, 2017, 08:50:13 AM
Editing the vanilla backstories might be more complicated, though. They're in some kind of hard-coded database or something, not in defs, so.... I don't know if you can use the CCL-based XML def creation method to overwrite those.
You can use any Unity asset editor to replace the backstories' files with what you want. The problem is because Tynan coded the backstories in several different files it is a little difficult to find the one you want and replace it.

Nevertheless, yes, it's going to be nigh impossible without assemblies and/or detours in code to get what you want. I'm interested in creating a central, one file to handle every single backstory, so that it is easily edited by anyone who is annoyed at the overrepresentation of people who wanted to have a sex change. And even worse, that such backstories are hardcoded through their names so that you'll always get that one colonist with that same name and same backstory.