Tired of useless colonists

Started by Shurp, February 02, 2017, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

I would left that person to die unless I was desperate for a combat colonist. That's REALLY bad, and only decent if you happen to have a pair of Power Claws (not Scyther Blades) because otherwise you can't use the Animals skill.

Shurp

The "hard worker" trait is especially hilarious
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Greep

Wow.. was starting a new game and looking through the colonist interviews.  And got... THIS. 

This right here is why I'd never hit start after hitting map select.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Euzio

Not entirely useless.... but its her affect on my other pawns which did it...

I started out with a duo who are pretty good. The male's a good hunter/cook while the female was a great doctor and useful for research. After awhile they became lovers and were to be married. In between this time however, I had a female wanderer join in. She wasn't great at anything but at least she could do most chores and I could do with a hauler/cleaner around...

However, the one problem with her was that she was very prone to starting social fights with my Male pawn. She's sent herself and my male pawn to the medical room a number of times already. Which has impacted my food supply and kept my doctor busy when she could have been doing other stuff... The last straw was when she started a fight with my male pawn during the wedding ceremony.... both got sent to the medical room again, wedding got called off, and I am hit by a pirate raid. So now I have to defend my base with just 2 pawns (I only have 4 pawns total at that point) and a single turret.

I'm contemplating sending that trouble-making pawn as a sacrifice to the pirates just so that I can rid of her. She's only really chummy with my female doctor (ironic considering she was constantly fighting with with her fiance). So don't think the others will miss her too much.

Shurp

This makes me think we need a mod which provides more interesting ways to get rid of annoying colonists.  Suppose we had an "execution" event, like the marriage event, where the colonists all agree to hang someone that annoys them all?

Shinzy

Quote from: Greep on March 29, 2017, 08:07:39 PM
Wow.. was starting a new game and looking through the colonist interviews.  And got... THIS. 

This right here is why I'd never hit start after hitting map select.

Nooo you're missing out all the fun now!

b0rsuk

Speaking of colonists like Maymay above, I found this Reddit quote illuminating:

QuoteLooks okay to me. Slap some power armor on her, give her a plasteel sword and throw her in a cryptochamber next to a stockpile of go-juice.

Maybe that's the trick ? Some colonists are literally not worth keeping OUT of cryosleep casket. They're only somewhat usable when it's time to repel a raid, and maybe as a caravan guard, but certainly not Maymay above. A colonist needs to be worth more than the food he/she eats, that's the bare minimum.

Syrchalis

For me there is only three types of colonists:
Those that are good at one or more important things.
Those that are not, who will become haulers or janitors.
And cowboy hats.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

khearn

Quote from: Shurp on March 31, 2017, 07:21:46 AM
This makes me think we need a mod which provides more interesting ways to get rid of annoying colonists.  Suppose we had an "execution" event, like the marriage event, where the colonists all agree to hang someone that annoys them all?

This game clearly needs magma.

You could always send them out to try and tame/hunt a passing thrumbo. Hmmm, but then the rest of your colony would still have to deal with the thrumbo afterwards. Maybe that's not such a good idea after all...

Wintersdark

Quote from: XeronX on February 04, 2017, 06:55:16 PM

But I have gotten incrediably picky about who I will accept. No Pyro, Psychopath, or Abrasive period. Tend to avoid Brawlers, Any mentally unstable, and any addicts. Also will not take any "no violence" pawns until I have decent defenses set up and at least 10 other pawns that can shoot.

Wait, no psychopath?  Whyever not?

I LOVE psychopaths.  They're immune to many negative moods, can be used to butcher humans without a stacking debuff (tribal raid = fortune in human leather armchairs and cowboy hats!) ... Sure, they don't get some positive mood buffs too, but having someone you can rely on to not fall into a negative mood spiral is wonderful.

Wintersdark

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 08, 2017, 02:03:26 AM
To elaborate, a colony having once skill 12 cook and one skill 7 cook should be better fed than a colony with just one skill 12 cook. A colony should be better off with two skilled crafters instead of one. Two recruiters should be better than one.

But in Rimworld, two cooks is the same as one unless one of them is somehow taken out of the picture.
Huh?

Why not have them work different shifts.  Two cooks cook twice as many meals per stove as one cook. 

As well, unless you're save-scumming, having multiple pawns capable of a task helps you cope with injury and death better.  I *hate* just having one capable cook. 

Wintersdark

Ah, well, that was a much older thread than I thought.  Eh, whatever.