[A16] No Natural Roofs v2

Started by ChaosOverlord, February 05, 2017, 07:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosOverlord

There were some technical difficulties with the original mod because the game engine would not properly allow me to remove thin roofs via the Mod folder. No matter what I did there was always weird side effects in some situations, so I am re-releasing this mod in a different form.

Here you have 2 versions of this mod. Choose one of the two. Installing both is pointless as the mod version will override the overwrite version.

#1 No Overhead Mountains mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpgxztonpc8no8u/No%20Natural%20Roofs.zip?dl=1
This mod only removes overhead mountains. As far as vanilla testing goes it works flawlessly, you do not need a new save to use it. Regular rock roofs need to be removed with the "No Roofs zone" in-game.

#1 Installation:
Install like any normal mod. Load this after any other mods that might edit Roofs.xml

#2 No Overhead Mountains OR Rock Roofs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uord6rq8s5tn3tz/Mods-Core-Defs-Misc-RoofDefs.zip?dl=1
This completely removes both the overhead mountain and thin natural roofs with no known side effects. This needs to be overwritten directly because of the incompatible way the rimworld engine loads mods. This will cause a small error at the main menu but it's ok to ignore it.

#2 Installation: This one must be manually done. Inside the downloaded file, there is a modded xml file and another zip file containing the original, unedited xml. Place both of these files in the following path: Mods/Core/Defs/Misc/RoofDefs
You are essentially overwriting a file in the Core mod itself. If you ever want to undo my mod, simply load the original xml in the zip I provided. You can keep this zip file right alongside the modified Roofs.xml

If you want to remove the mod, you can remove either mod at any time without breaking your saved game, however you will no longer have any rock roofs or overhead mountains in your map. You will be able to move to other maps and have overhead mountains and roofs again since new regions are generated fresh.
--------------------------------------------------------
Known Issues/Incompatibilities:
None shown in my preliminary testing.
None reported yet.

There are absolutely no restrictions to using this mod. Add to modpacks, do anything you want. No permission necessary.

DDC1234

Is it suppose to be high or low in the mod list since i cannot get it to work ?

ambivalence

there's no file provided by the links :(

Grabarz

same - there is no file ...
Can You reupload ?

DDC1234

I still have the version he upload the first time see if it works for u

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

ChaosOverlord

Thanks DDC

Not sure what happened, I don't remember messing with the file...I've re-uploaded it and updated the links.

Quote from: DDC1234 on February 06, 2017, 12:25:48 PM
Is it suppose to be high or low in the mod list since i cannot get it to work ?
THe order doesn't matter as long as it's after Core and after any other mods that edit Roofs.xml (which should be pretty rare). I did a quick test myself before I released it and it worked fine for me. Simplest thing to do is to load it dead last. If you're still having issues, PM me a screenshot of your modlist and your save file and I'll eventually look into it whenever I check these forums.

Hydromancerx

I have been using this and it is very nice for designing open villages since you can clear away the rocks. The only problem is you have to micromanage a lot to make sure the roofs don't kill your pawns by removing roofs all the time. Too bad they don't just automatically remove roofs before they take out all the supports.

ambivalence

hmm. will roofs come back when I create in-rock village and turn the mod off?

DDC1234

started a new colony still have the same problem  :'(

p.s thought it could be "roof supports" mod but no still get roofs
can i just over write the main game file ?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

123nick

Quote from: ChaosOverlord on February 05, 2017, 07:36:29 PM
This mod should remove all rock roofs (thin roofs and overhead mountains). Why would anyone want this you might ask? Doesn't matter, some people just do.

This should work with your current game saves. This should also be compatible with any mods that might deal with natural roofs...even though those mods will find that these roofs don't fully exist anymore.

If you have any other mods that edit Roofs.xml, load my mod after the other one or the other one will overwrite my mod.

I have not done any significant testing as this is a very simple mod but if something doesn't work as you would expect it to, tell me and I'll maybe try to get around to fixing it or finding a work-around.

DOWNLOAD (Hotlink):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j58luwcdyehc97p/No%20Natural%20Roofs.zip?dl=1

DOWNLOAD (Not a hotlink):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j58luwcdyehc97p/No%20Natural%20Roofs.zip?dl=0

There are absolutely no restrictions to using this mod. Add to modpacks, do anything you want. No permission necessary.

why is there a hotlink and a non-hotlink that both see mto be the same url with the ending dl= changed.

DDC1234

I tired even putting this in the main folder (no luck)
moved my mods to a new folder and only put in natural roofs still no luck ???

ChaosOverlord

I have re-created and re-released this mod due to complications in certain situations.

DDC1234

Hydromancerx

ambivalence

Can one just install it to build an in-rock village (with wind turbines, for example) and remove the mod afterwards without a save-breakage? Yeah, I know, it's silly.