[A16] Rainbeau's Other Mods - Editable Backstories, Smooth Stone Walls, and More

Started by dburgdorf, February 22, 2017, 01:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

These are my alpha 16 mods. (For a17 mods, check this thread.)

The list:

Basic Bridges - 5/18/17 - build bridges, piers and boardwalks, and fish from them

Editable Backstories - 4/23/17 - freely edit and add pawn backstories

Editable Backstories Lite - 4/15/17 - add backstories, but no editing of default set

Fertile Fields - 4/23/17 - soil improvement & terraforming

Fertile Fields + FishIndustry + [sd] Bridges - 4/16/17 - compatibility patch

Fewer Ruins - 4/23/17 - reduce the number of old walls and buildings on brand new maps

Rascally Rabbits - 2/20/17 - rabbits, carrots, stew & events

Rascally Rabbits + A Dog Said - 2/20/17 - compatibility patch

Rainbeau Flambe - Storyteller - 2/20/17 - new storyteller, of course

Smooth Stone Walls - 4/23/17 - smooth rough stone walls as well as rough stone floors

Wild Cultivation - 4/23/17 - cultivate wild plants & find cultivated plants in the wild

If you're a modpack maker and want to include any of these mods in your pack, or if you're a modder and want to use them as the basis of derivative mods, please feel free to do so. I ask only that you let me know about it.

If you have any (helpful) suggestions for improvement, please let me know!
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 2/20/2017

This mod adds a new storyteller, Rainbeau Flambe.

Rain shares Randy's love of the unpredictable, but tempers that love with a bit of Cassandra's storytelling flair. Still, he'll send big threats nearly as often as small ones. After all, he has to keep his cat, Sabre, amused. He also likes to have a slightly larger cast of characters to work with than Cassandra does, and so will subtly encourage you to have more colonists.

In addition to the storyteller, and in honor of my own long-standing tendency to get distracted with new projects and never actually finish old ones, the mod also adds an event, "Distraction." (The event is available to all storytellers, not just to Rain.) A random colonist will become distracted and forget what he or she was working on. A new job will be started, but if the colonist was in the middle of crafting, doctoring, or the like, any progress will be lost. "Distraction" is based on the "Amnesia" event in Ilawz's "More Events and Incidents" mod.

-- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf) - the modder, not the storyteller ;)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Rainbeau Flambe - Storyteller" adds a new storyteller and incident, but doesn't change any existing things, so it should be compatible with pretty much any other mod, and you should be able to add it to an existing saved game without trouble. You should also be able to safely remove it from a game in progress, at least so long as Rain's not the currently active storyteller.

Acknowledgement:

The image of Rainbeau Flambe was created with HeroMachine 3, and then edited in Photoshop.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 2/20/2017

This mod enables "A Dog Said" animal surgery for the rabbits added in the "Rascally Rabbits" mod. Yes, it even allows you to patch up Caerbannog bunnies. It should be loaded after both "A Dog Said" and "Rascally Rabbits." And it should go without saying, that if you're not actually using both "A Dog Said" and "Rascally Rabbits," then you have no need for this mod.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 4/16/2017

This is a patch mod designed to allow Sulusdacor's "[sd] Bridges," Rikiki's "FishIndustry," and my own "Fertile Fields" to play nicely together. It makes no difference in what order those three mods are loaded, though of course this patch must be loaded after all of them.

What it does, specifically, is:

+ Moves all piers and bridge components to a new "Bridges" architect tab.

+ Removes terraforming research and options from "[sd] Bridges" in favor of the more extensive options available in "Fertile Fields."

Since this removes the custom terrain tiles introduced in "[sd] Bridges," by the way, it also removes the major incompatibility between that mod and "FishIndustry."

+ Ensures that foundation bases, pontoon bridges and the "on mud" version of fishing piers can be built (and can only be built) on the intended terrain types.

Both "[sd] Bridges" and "FishIndustry" use the Undefined terrain affordance as a filter to determine where certain things can be built. Unfortunately, "Fertile Fields" adds that affordance to a number of additional terrain types, so without this fix, you could for example build pontoon bridges across grassy plains, which would just be silly. As well, "Fertile Fields" puts a third type of water tile on the map, which the other mods don't recognize by default.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

This patch is designed to make a few mods which alter vanilla terrain definitions play nicely together. If you try to use it alongside still other mods that alter those vanilla definitions, well, all bets are off.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 4/23/2017

Blur the lines between wild and cultivated plants! "Wild Cultivation" allows you to cultivate a variety of plants formerly found only in the wild, and adds wild generation of most of the plants that previously could only be cultivated.

Plants which can now be found naturally include corn, haygrass and smokeleaf (most commonly, but not exclusively, found in arid shrubland biomes), daylilies, hops and strawberries (most easily found in boreal forests), psychoid plants (least uncommon in deserts), cotton, potatoes and roses (most readily discovered in temperate forests), and healroot and rice (most easily obtained from tropical rainforests).

The ability to find these plants in the wild provides a few extra resource options in the early game, and also allows those using the "Seeds Please!" mod a chance to obtain seeds for plants they might otherwise not be able to grow.

"Wild Cultivation" also allows you to cultivate cacti (both pincushion and saguaro), agave, astragalus, and grass, all of which could formerly only be found in the wild.

You can also now create growing zones on any terrain that's not completely infertile. This doesn't allow you to grow plants on ground that's not fertile enough to support them, of course. The change is primarily intended to allow you to create growing zones on sand for cacti.

Finally, "Wild Cultivation" adds one new type of flower, the geranium. Geraniums are functionally identical to daylilies, and in fact the geranium graphic is simply a recolored version of the daylily graphic. I just wanted a purple flower in the game, to add a bit more variety to garden colors.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Cultivated Plant Notes:

Agave grows more slowly and has a lower yield than in vanilla, to prevent it becoming a "superplant" when cultivated. It also takes a bit more work to sow and to harvest than most other plants, though it doesn't take as much work to harvest as it does in vanilla.

Saguaro cacti grow slower than in vanilla, in order to put their wood production capabitility on a par with other trees.

Compatibility:

"Wild Cultivation" changes vanilla plant definitions, and so will conflict with other mods that do the same. Generally speaking, though, any such conflicts shouldn't be game-breaking. You should be able to add "Wild Cultivation" to an existing saved game without trouble, but removing the mod from a game in progress might (but probably won't) cause problems.

Special note regarding "Vegetable Garden": "Wild Cultivation" and "Vegetable Garden" are fully compatible. Just make sure that "Vegetable Garden" loads first. "Wild Cultivation" will check to see if "Vegetable Garden" is installed, and if it is, will make minor modifications to its own plant definitions to ensure that everything behaves as "Vegetable Garden" expects.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

The non-steam option is coming, right ?
Because I really want this Wild Cultivation Mod :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 22, 2017, 01:27:36 PM
The non-steam option is coming, right ?
Because I really want this Wild Cultivation Mod :)

Yeah, I'll add Dropbox links this evening, after I get home. I'm at work right now, and I don't have access to the files to upload them to Dropbox from here.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Dropbox links have been added for the mods in this thread, for those who don't use Steam Workshop.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Thank you very much.

Thats another three for the list :)

dburgdorf

Fertile Fields + FishIndustry + [sd] Bridges compatibility patch has been updated with a few minor tweaks to keep up with the changes in "Fertile Fields."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 4/23/2017

"Smooth Stone Walls" allows you to smooth natural stone walls, just as you can smooth natural stone floors, thanks to a new option in the "Structure" tab of the architect menu. This allows you to have real walls in the rooms in your mountain hideaway, without needing to mine out rock and then immediately replace it with a wall built from scratch. Smoothing a section of stone wall takes four times as long as smoothing a section of floor, as there's more work involved. (And because it seems about right for balance purposes.) Smoothed stone walls are slightly more durable than stone walls constructed of blocks. When deconstructed, smooth stone walls don't yield blocks, but instead have a chance to drop stone chunks, just as if you'd mined them.

Smoothed stone walls are, as you'd expect, smooth. They don't have the graphic patterning that constructed (block) walls have. The two wall types blend into each other quite nicely, but still, some players prefer to have all their walls look exactly the same. If you're one of them, you can have your pawns "etch" the smoothed stone walls, to give them a pattern that matches the brick pattern in constructed walls. Alternatively, you can have a pawn with artistic skill do decorative etching, in which case some of your wall tiles, in addition to a brick pattern, will end up randomly decorated with pictures.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Known Issues:

When you smooth a wall, as far as the program code is concerned, you're actually deleting the rough wall from the tile and replacing it with a smooth wall. So for a split second, there is no wall present. The same thing happens when etching a smoothed wall. This means, for example, that if the wall in question is a critical support, the roof above it will collapse. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about this behavior. So plan accordingly, and put up temporary roof supports as necessary to avoid pawn death or dismemberment during the smoothing process.

Wall Graphics:

The mod makes minor alterations to the default wall graphics, in order to allow walls and rock of the same stone type to blend into each other seamlessly.

Compatibility:

"Smooth Stone Walls" adds a new capability, but doesn't change any existing things, so it should be compatible with pretty much any other mod, unless that mod also modifies the "Structure" architect tab. You should be able to add it to an existing saved game without trouble. Removing it from a game in progress, however, will make the game unplayable if you have any smoothed or etched walls in your base.

Mods which allow items to be built on walls without first deconstructing those walls may or may not recognize non-vanilla walls, so you may find that some items which can be built directly on top of vanilla walls can't be built on smoothed walls. Obviously, you can work around the problem by deconstructing the wall where you want to place the item. There really isn't much I can do about it, as it depends upon how the other mods are coded, and in any event, I consider it a very minor issue.

"Smooth Stone Walls" is fully compatible with stone types added by other mods, meaning that you'll be able to smooth walls of non-vanilla stone types as easily as you can those of vanilla stone types.

Credits:

Most of the images used for wall art came from the flaticon.com Web site.

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Smooth Stone Walls has been updated:

- Allowed for compatibility with non-vanilla walls from the "Minerals and Materials" and "Kura's Extra Minerals" mods.

- Smoothing stone walls now requires Stonecutting research, to prevent free access to bricks in tribal start games.

- Smoothed walls now automatically belong to your faction and don't need to be claimed.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Now make an Engraving mod :)
I want pictures of my Colonists eating Cheese.

Sorry. I am hyped about the smooth walls .. can I put power lines in them ?
Thats the main reason I build walls underground.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 07, 2017, 06:42:30 AMNow make an Engraving mod :) I want pictures of my Colonists eating Cheese. Sorry. I am hyped about the smooth walls .. can I put power lines in them ? Thats the main reason I build walls underground.

Yes, the smoothed walls are in all ways identical to stone walls you build from scratch, so they allow power conduits.

As to engraved walls.... Several people on Steam have made similar comments, but never having played Dwarf Fortress, I have to admit, I'm not quite sure what specifically is being requested. I should probably go check it out. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

The dorf in your name could have fooled me.

There is a engraving labor in DF thats used to smooth floors, walls, engrave walls and engrave stone slabs for grave ( could be stonecrafting )

The same as the Artwork in RW, DF takes from the History of the Fort and the world itself.
Also Dwarfs like to engrave stuff the like and dislike.
Spiders, Bats, Cheese, Plump Helmets and so on ..

Since Cheesemaker is a pretty useless job in DF, most of them get assigned to hauling, smoothing and other thankless jobs.
When those Cheesemaker become legendary in their job and are allowed to create art in your fortress it happens that they engrave stuff they like .. Cheese.
Big Cheese, themselves eating Cheese, others eating Cheese, Spiders and Cheese,
Sausage, Bacon, Spam and Cheese .. you get the Idea :)