Mental breaks based on bad mood reasons.

Started by Wishmaster, March 04, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

RimWorld Pawns be like:
I am in bad mood because I'm starving ? I better go daze for 20 hours.
I am in bad mood because I'm injured ? Berserk.

I think bad mood reasons should be a factor of the nature of the mental break (sad wander, daze, berserk...).

For example :

ReasonMakes to likely to
Starving / hungry    Food binge
Tired / in painRush for a bed (new mental break) or stay in bedroom
Drug withdrawalRelated drug binge
Other reasonsRandom mental break

SpaceDorf

I support this Idea, just because it feels right.

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 04, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

More examples :

Dead Bodies Everywheresad wander, daze, berserk, hide in bedroom
Having Fitting Traits, like Bloodlust, Depression .. sad wander, berserk

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

OFWG

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 04, 2017, 02:00:48 PM
I support this Idea, just because it feels right.

+1. And the berserk break would happen because ... nothing, it would never happen.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

A Friend

Quote from: OFWG on March 04, 2017, 08:34:36 PM
+1. And the berserk break would happen because

Colonist ate without table
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

O Negative

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: A Friend on March 04, 2017, 11:37:30 PM
Quote from: OFWG on March 04, 2017, 08:34:36 PM
+1. And the berserk break would happen because

Colonist ate without table

In any case I think the thread title is more amusingly parsed as "Bad mood-reasons".  We need more bad reasons for mental breaks.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

b0rsuk

A related issue is that daze can make your colonist chain mental breaks. I had a starving colonist wake up from a daze in a place between dining room and food storage. Before he made it to the food storage, he snapped into another daze. He was free for literally several seconds ! "Catharsis" doesn't do jack when a single daze makes you starving, very tired, sleep on floor, in cold, possibly outside, joy-deprived... Sometimes the only way other than arresting is waiting until the person drops from starvation so you can rescue him to bed and force feed him!

Perq

I'll just add that some mental breaks are simply annoying to deal with, and having a way of trying to deal with them would be great.
You have level 18 social skill guy? Why not try talking to sad wandering pawn? Or at least feed them. Or something.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Perq on March 06, 2017, 02:03:48 AM
I'll just add that some mental breaks are simply annoying to deal with, and having a way of trying to deal with them would be great.
You have level 18 social skill guy? Why not try talking to sad wandering pawn? Or at least feed them. Or something.
or herd them somewhere where they can't commit suicide..

O Negative

My biggest issue with some of these mental breaks is how long they last. Need a moment to freak out because your life sucks? Fine. Oh, you want to do that for 30 straight hours. Yeah, that's not okay.

Vanilla non-lethal options would be great IMO.

Aerial

We really need more (and better) mental breaks, as well as more logical connections between the pawn's personality, the reason for the break and the type of break.  And, as others have said, we really need some way to try to mitigate or end the break.  This would be a great use for social skills - to talk a pawn out of their break - or maybe nonviolent pawns could have a special ability for pawn-whispering.

Some potential other kinds of mental breaks:

Verbal abuse - pawn throws insults at whoever is around, affecting their relationships with those people.  Short duration with high impact on moods/relationships.

Tantrum - pawn smashes nearby furniture or production station.  Severity of the break would determine how long the tantrum lasts and/or how much total damage the pawn does.

Seduction - pawn relentlessly tries to romance one or more pawns.  This should have a fair chance of succeeding, depending on various factors (sexuality, if other pawn is in a relationship, etc) with all of the attendant fallout.

Hibernate - pawn goes to bed and won't get up to do anything except eat. Long duration.

Self-harm - pawn cuts him/herself.

Rampage - pawn gets a random ranged weapon from storage and goes "hunting", i.e. shooting at any wild animals it sees.  Rare break with chances higher on bloodlust and psychopath pawns.

On Strike - pawn refuses to work and only does joy activities, but joy gains are significantly reduced.  Could look like a drug binge or an all-night tv session.  Causes negative moodlets to other colonists, especially industrious varieties.

Fire-starting - I'd like to get rid of the pyromaniac trait and simply make fire starting a possible but rare mental break. 

Theft - pawn steals items in storage or art or furniture from other pawns' bedrooms and puts them in his/her own bedroom.  Angers the owner/relationship impact.

Reorganizing - Pawn starts moving things from appropriate stockpiles to inappropriate ones.

Sabotage - pawn causes breakdowns in multiple machines.  Break would not be announced/notified until someone repaired the first broken machine and thereby discovered the sabotage.

SpaceDorf

Seduction - pawn relentlessly tries to romance one or more pawns.  This should have a fair chance of succeeding, depending on various factors (sexuality, if other pawn is in a relationship, etc) with all of the attendant fallout.

This allready happens in the game :)
I had a female, that had an affair with another man .. mood was applied accordingly .. half a year later she moved back to her husband.

Also I like the Pyromaniac trait, just not as it is implemented at the moment.

Aerial

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 06, 2017, 11:26:22 AM

This allready happens in the game :)
I had a female, that had an affair with another man .. mood was applied accordingly .. half a year later she moved back to her husband.

Quite honestly, there's an unrealistic lack of people getting together in the game.  I can have a colony of eight people and no one sleeps with anyone for years, which simply wouldn't happen.  My suggestion was just a way to bring more morning-after-regrets into the relationship mix by making the really bad idea one night stand into mental break.

SpaceDorf

Why not turn it around ?

Thats one damn good reason for a mental break .. social fight, drug binge, daze ..

My wife slept with my best friend ..
the plot of ssooooo many stories, be it murder mysterie, comedy and every goddamn soap opera ever.

Dorian

Many of my colonists seem to end up being entitled emo kids who are always upset about the dumbest things.  My one guy kept lighting fires way too often.  I arrested him, twice, after fistfights broke out.  After the 3rd time I had him euthanized.