[MOD] (Alpha 3) Electro Slag Remelting

Started by zelldot, April 16, 2014, 04:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelldot

Have you wanted to clear the slag? Just like stone cutting, this mod add the ability to recover materials from waste slag and reconstitute it back into metal.

This mod is a sample from one of my future creation, an upcoming mod/mod-pack thingy's I am working on called tectronics. But that's a little secret! Shhhh!

To Download: Click Here

Feel free to leave comments.

TheMartianPoet

While it is always nice to have an alternate source of metal, the realist in me cannot help but point out that 'slag' actually contains only trace amounts of metal...

It is the impurities and wastes that are removed from iron during smelting, generally by the addition of limestone or dolomite flux. The impurities combine with the flux and float to the top of the molten metal, which can then be skimmed away.
The majority of slag is actually the limestone or dolomite, not metal- it is a useful product for the construction industry, where it is put to use as an additive for strengthening concrete... but you won't get metal out of it, save in tiny, trace amounts.

Perhaps re-purpose this to produce stone blocks? Could tie it into the Toughrock: Concrete Economy mod.

But then, this is me being dreadfully boorish and realistic. :P

Plasmatic

Quote from: TheMartianPoet on April 16, 2014, 08:55:26 PM
While it is always nice to have an alternate source of metal, the realist in me cannot help but point out that 'slag' actually contains only trace amounts of metal...

It is the impurities and wastes that are removed from iron during smelting, generally by the addition of limestone or dolomite flux. The impurities combine with the flux and float to the top of the molten metal, which can then be skimmed away.
The majority of slag is actually the limestone or dolomite, not metal- it is a useful product for the construction industry, where it is put to use as an additive for strengthening concrete... but you won't get metal out of it, save in tiny, trace amounts.

Perhaps re-purpose this to produce stone blocks? Could tie it into the Toughrock: Concrete Economy mod.

But then, this is me being dreadfully boorish and realistic. :P

If we were bound to the laws and rules that we know sure... but if I may direct your attention to the fact that we are not.. who knows what "Slag" means in whatever alien language we are speaking??!

Haplo

As I am a fellow smelter (Workplaces) I need to point out, that if you look how the slug is created in game, you'd see that it isn't slug in the normal sense but really only molten metal. It is e.g. Created when a pod crashes down. So there should be enough metal inside. :)

zelldot

Like I have said before, I mainly make my mods because I wanted it personally in the game,

Quote from: Haplo on April 17, 2014, 01:04:22 AM
As I am a fellow smelter (Workplaces) I need to point out, that if you look how the slug is created in game, you'd see that it isn't slug in the normal sense but really only molten metal. It is e.g. Created when a pod crashes down. So there should be enough metal inside. :)

The main produce of slag to me in the game is fires and metal walls in raids, it was bugging me that I could clear stone but not slag, so I did a bit of wiki'ing and found out about electro slag remelting, although I do agree with everyone above, slag is the waste from metal, in this game it seems to be metal waste, which seems more fitting. Thanks for the comments guys.

jpwrunyan

How much metal is produced from one unit of slag?

zelldot

close to the recipe for stonecutting, but for slag 10 metal to one slag depending on character level,
Level 1 at 50%, +5% per level for effectiveness(amount you get)

Psycho0124

Great mod, thanks!

Hey, how much trouble would it be to allow this thing to melt down missiles/shells into metal? .. or maybe a separate device that removes the explosive material from them and outputs slag first?

zelldot

Something like that could be put in quite easily just by adding the recipes