Ride
Sense Motive
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Survival (nature?)
Swim
Use Magic Device

CRAFT Skills
Alchemy (medicine beyond herbs, grenades?)
Sculpture = Art!
Carpentry (furniture and buildings)
Cooking (Fewd & Beer)
-

KNOWLEDGE Skills
Arcana: Arcane spellcasting, arcane research, and resistance to spells?
Nature = Growing
Religion: Divine spellcasting, divine research, and resistance to spells?
-

PROFESSION Skills
Mining: Likely just a rename of mining, but we should have stone-block cutting and its associated table based on this as well, I should think.
-

Renamed Skills:
Diplomacy = Social/Warden (Hmmm... Charisma?)
Handle Animal = Animal Handling XD
Heal = Medicine
-

NEW Skills
Enchanting/Spellcraft: If you decide that enchanting items (turn steel longsword into steel longsword +1) requires its own skill, you'll want to either use Enchanting, or Spellcraft.  Alternatively, crafting spell items can be Spellcraft, while using them is based on Arcana or Religion, with Enchanting being a whole new shtick.  I still suggest potions use the same skill, however.
Sagecraft = Research
-

The Flick Mechanic, and spell durations
Is it possible to put timers on things?  I note that if I'm cold, I can send someone to flick the heater in my room, and it'll be all toasty when my meeples go to bed.  Would it be possible for that flick to turn itself off based on a duration?  Or would it be better to use an arcane/use-metal skill to craft a widget in the room (heat metal, chill metal) to warm or cool it, which decays over time like a torch?  When the item is done, it could break just like a conduit, and leave you with a piece of iron to chill/heat all over again.

Magic and Horichalcum
In order to do anything in the upper levels of magic, ESPECIALLY enchanting, you should be looking for Horichalcum.  This means the role of Uranium and its rarity don't change, as it simply becomes magic/technology energy in the upper tier all over again.  It still makes for pretty fancy swords, too.

Build Tabs/Categories
It should be possible to customize the categories that show up in your menus.  You can put everything that carpentry crafts in its own menu-tab, and everything that cooking crafts in its own menu-tab, etc.

Divine Nature
Rather than expression alignment differences in skills, how about by Altar?  If you're going to have an altar mechanic anyway, have an Altar of Good, and Altar of Evil, an Altar of Chaos, an Altar of Law, and an Altar of Balance.  This way, your spell choices are set by the altar you pray at.

MOAR
I'm going to look at traits, converting them for a more fantasy style theme, and implementing alignments as traits.  Is it possible to tamper with how ornery a character is by the traits they have?  IE: Can we make Evil characters prone to starting fights?   We know we can make certain traits antagonistic towards one another (hard worker vs lazy), so Evil vs Good becomes very doable, but can we use that system to make someone just... tetchy?

Minnigin

The-Eroks

Update - Work continues on Build 03. My short term game plan is to start doing actual code writing in version 2 (which will be required to get more skills displayed properly), so for the time being the attached picture will be the final skills selection (with perhaps a few minor additions if feedback warrants). I took the 99 skill set and put it in the idea-drawer for now and settled on re-framing several skills into the six core ability scores (melee -> strength, shooting -> dexterity, mining -> constitution, research -> intelligence, healing -> wisdom, and social -> charisma). Added two core skills, Arcana and Divinity, as the two magic-related skills.

I'm about wrapped up with the research project tree at this point--319 new projects in total with room for mod-modders to expand with ease and to add magic and lore-based research projects down the road.

QuoteN/A Skills
Acrobatics
Appraise
Bluff
Climb
Disable Device
Escape Artist
Fly
Intimidate
Linguistics
Perception
Perform
Ride
Sense Motive
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Survival (nature?)
Swim
Use Magic Device

CRAFT Skills
Alchemy (medicine beyond herbs, grenades?)
Sculpture = Art!
Carpentry (furniture and buildings)
Cooking (Fewd & Beer)
QuotePROFESSION Skills
Mining: Likely just a rename of mining, but we should have stone-block cutting and its associated table based on this as well, I should think.

I would concur with the above. While I won't be able to go as far forward with exact skills as I had wanted due to the GUI needing an update, I do want to get a solid outline done before Version 1 is officially released--that way skill expansion (and perhaps an even more expanded crafting/industry system) can be a central feature of Version 2.

QuoteKNOWLEDGE Skills
Arcana: Arcane spellcasting, arcane research, and resistance to spells?
Nature = Growing
Religion: Divine spellcasting, divine research, and resistance to spells?
QuoteNEW Skills
Enchanting/Spellcraft: If you decide that enchanting items (turn steel longsword into steel longsword +1) requires its own skill, you'll want to either use Enchanting, or Spellcraft.  Alternatively, crafting spell items can be Spellcraft, while using them is based on Arcana or Religion, with Enchanting being a whole new shtick.  I still suggest potions use the same skill, however.
Sagecraft = Research
Yep. I am currently debating between leaving nature wrapped up in divinity or breaking it out into its own knowledge/spell power domain separate from divine and arcane magic and a spellcraft/enchanting type skill was the other minor tweak I was considering. Thoughts?

QuoteRenamed Skills:
Diplomacy = Social/Warden (Hmmm... Charisma?)
Handle Animal = Animal Handling XD
Heal = Medicine
Social and medicine have been rolled into ability scores, animal handling is in  ;)

QuoteThe Flick Mechanic, and spell durations
Is it possible to put timers on things?  I note that if I'm cold, I can send someone to flick the heater in my room, and it'll be all toasty when my meeples go to bed.  Would it be possible for that flick to turn itself off based on a duration?  Or would it be better to use an arcane/use-metal skill to craft a widget in the room (heat metal, chill metal) to warm or cool it, which decays over time like a torch?  When the item is done, it could break just like a conduit, and leave you with a piece of iron to chill/heat all over again.
I assume yes. I will need to look into it more.

Magic and Horichalcum
In order to do anything in the upper levels of magic, ESPECIALLY enchanting, you should be looking for Horichalcum.  This means the role of Uranium and its rarity don't change, as it simply becomes magic/technology energy in the upper tier all over again.  It still makes for pretty fancy swords, too.
Agreed. I intend to add a vastly expanded crafting and industrial system sometime in the future (likely version 2 or 3).

Build Tabs/Categories
It should be possible to customize the categories that show up in your menus.  You can put everything that carpentry crafts in its own menu-tab, and everything that cooking crafts in its own menu-tab, etc.
This is another thing on my list, but it might have to wait until at least Version 2 since it might require some GUI coding. There are a number of excellent GUI modifications, and I'll have to review those to learn how those authors did their work.

QuoteDivine Nature
Rather than expression alignment differences in skills, how about by Altar?  If you're going to have an altar mechanic anyway, have an Altar of Good, and Altar of Evil, an Altar of Chaos, an Altar of Law, and an Altar of Balance.  This way, your spell choices are set by the altar you pray at.
When the magic system gets more fleshed out, different alters and being able to setup entire temples is one of the design goals. I do agree that alignment should be more expressed through traits and structural choices--rather than exercised by skill usage.

QuoteMOAR
I'm going to look at traits, converting them for a more fantasy style theme, and implementing alignments as traits.  Is it possible to tamper with how ornery a character is by the traits they have?  IE: Can we make Evil characters prone to starting fights?   We know we can make certain traits antagonistic towards one another (hard worker vs lazy), so Evil vs Good becomes very doable, but can we use that system to make someone just... tetchy?
Absolutely. Character quality expansion is one of major design goals for Version 1. This also seems to be one the easier xml-related things to mod if you have access to Notepad++... if you wanted to either draft some traits and descriptions, or input yourself, I would love to include your work.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

CopaKindred

I have just about enough C# skills to make a calendar and a random number generator.  That's as far as my classwork got.  XD

I am, however, a writer par excellence, so I'll start going through the traits immediately for verbage.  Once we have our list of skills, we can do that, and since we do...

Don't roll nature into divinity.  Farmers/Commoners don't use divinity.

CopaKindred

SKILLS:
Strength (melee skills)
Dexterity (ranged skills)
Constitution (mining)
Intelligence (research)
Wisdom (healing)
Charisma (social)
Alchemy (crafting medicine, building grenades)
Arcana (arcane magic)
Carpentry (craft structures and furniture)
Cooking (make food and beer)
Divinity (divine magic)
Handle Animal (animal training and milking and shaving)
Nature (cutting and sowing plants)
Sculpture (the only currently useful form of art)

- Note: I'm uncomfortable with constitution being relegated solely to mining.  The engine supports a fantastic level of injury and health, from individual limb-productivity to rate of infection.  Constitution should really support or enhance or modify some of THESE states, rather than being the 'skill' for mining.  I don't know if it's possible to modify those rates, or if putting them under a skill is a good idea, but it -seems- themely for our fantasy setting.  Heroes are tough critters.  That being said, it makes total sense to put mining under the stat for con in D&D; Change approved!

Work Tab, Allowances, and Skills!
What is and is not disabled, and the Work tab, is the other thing that needs to be immediately addressed.  Wizards and priests don't do 'dumb labor'. Fighters and barbarians don't do 'intelligence'.  It's here that we can put some of our other skills, like Survival (hunting!) and Diplomacy (wardening!).

Firefight
Patient - Why is this even ON here?  Why isn't going to the temple an ingrained behavior for the mortally wounded?
Doctor -> Heal
Bedrest
Flick - UMD? (use magic device?)
Warden -> Intimidate
Handle -> Groom
Negotiate -> Diplomacy
Cook -> Cook
Construct
Mine
Grow -> Farm
Hunt -> Survival
Plant Cut -> Harvest
Smith
Tailor
Art
Craft - I think Craft might want to be rolled into Mining (blocks), Smithing (smelting), and 'more'.  Not sure where more fits into this.
Research -> Scribe? Sage?  Leave as research?
Haul
Clean
*Enchant?
*I seem to remember 'repair' being a priority that was on my work tab, but it's no longer there.  That's the perfect place for 'engineering'.

The more I look at this, the more I think that the ethos/attitude/diety should be under the childhood entry, and the class/profession should be under the adulthood entry.  Prepare carefully is a great tool for dissecting character building!  I'm happy to rewrite everything in here!

The backgrounds and traits rely on these in order to be written.  Having all your skills now means not having to go through and modify everything later on.  If you want to implement psychic magic/psionics, now is the time to plan for that.  If dungeon exploring is an 'off camera' effect which has your meeples leave the screen, roll a random number, and come back later with loot and injuries, that can be dungeoneering as a skill and adventure as a work.  Commoners are incapable of adventuring   8).  If it happens onscreen, the skills as written handle that. 

The-Eroks

Quote from: CopaKindred on April 09, 2017, 03:15:25 AM
SKILLS:
Strength (melee skills)
Dexterity (ranged skills)
Constitution (mining)
Intelligence (research)
Wisdom (healing)
Charisma (social)
Alchemy (crafting medicine, building grenades)
Arcana (arcane magic)
Carpentry (craft structures and furniture)
Cooking (make food and beer)
Divinity (divine magic)
Handle Animal (animal training and milking and shaving)
Nature (cutting and sowing plants)
Sculpture (the only currently useful form of art)

- Note: I'm uncomfortable with constitution being relegated solely to mining.  The engine supports a fantastic level of injury and health, from individual limb-productivity to rate of infection.  Constitution should really support or enhance or modify some of THESE states, rather than being the 'skill' for mining.  I don't know if it's possible to modify those rates, or if putting them under a skill is a good idea, but it -seems- themely for our fantasy setting.  Heroes are tough critters.  That being said, it makes total sense to put mining under the stat for con in D&D; Change approved!
As soon as I figure out how to get more skills displayed, I think I'll revisit what sort of crafts/professions are included in the overall skill list. One of the features of DF that I liked was the larger array of skills. It suited larger colonies (with a diversity of workforce abilities) and added more opportunity for interesting decisions in the early game (ex: should I capitalize on a particularly skilled dwarf or focus on standard survival priorities?) I did add Alchemy and Carpentry to the current list, but they'll end up being hidden for now with Arcana and Divinity.

QuoteWork Tab, Allowances, and Skills!
What is and is not disabled, and the Work tab, is the other thing that needs to be immediately addressed.  Wizards and priests don't do 'dumb labor'. Fighters and barbarians don't do 'intelligence'.  It's here that we can put some of our other skills, like Survival (hunting!) and Diplomacy (wardening!).
This is actually a good idea for easy-to-theme that I'll add to the major design goals of Version 1. Thanks for the inspiration!

QuoteThe more I look at this, the more I think that the ethos/attitude/diety should be under the childhood entry, and the class/profession should be under the adulthood entry.  Prepare carefully is a great tool for dissecting character building!  I'm happy to rewrite everything in here!
I think I'm picking up what you're putting down: basically incorporate prepare carefully into the base modification, which would allow for DnD-style character design. Choose (a) Background and (b) character... this sets your class. I had intended to allow one to choose their race by picking their starting conditions as well. So the in-game portion might look as follows:

Start: Elven Outriders
Three Elven Characters
1. Faithful of Fayrill - Druid of the Six Circles
2. Dark Intentions - Shadowdancer
3. Spell-Touched (Lightning) - Ranger

QuoteThe backgrounds and traits rely on these in order to be written.  Having all your skills now means not having to go through and modify everything later on.  If you want to implement psychic magic/psionics, now is the time to plan for that.
For the immediate and foreseeable future, psionics will not be a main focus.

QuoteIf dungeon exploring is an 'off camera' effect which has your meeples leave the screen, roll a random number, and come back later with loot and injuries, that can be dungeoneering as a skill and adventure as a work.  Commoners are incapable of adventuring   8).  If it happens onscreen, the skills as written handle that.
Oh, trust me, the plan is to go dungeon exploring on camera  ;D

CopaKindred

Quote from: The-Eroks on April 10, 2017, 09:32:52 PM
I think I'm picking up what you're putting down: basically incorporate prepare carefully into the base modification, which would allow for DnD-style character design. Choose (a) Background and (b) character... this sets your character. I had intended to allow one to choose their race by picking their starting conditions as well.

More in that I don't know how to dissect the game files, so I start a new game, I go into prepare carefully, and I start writting in an open document next to the open game.   ;D

But yes!  I imagine people will want to say 'I start with a fighter, a commoner, and a wizard'.

CopaKindred

So far I am looking at covering 72 Ethos and 25 Classes, to replace the Childhood and Adulthood choices of Backstory, and then... who knows how many traits.  I'll likely pick traits inspired by common fantasy tropes, as well as class features and feats.  Things like 'lightning scarred', 'iron will', 'fast movement', and 'greedy'.

CopaKindred

I'm excited by the look of white_altar's music playback mod!  That has a lot of impact on the position of bards in the world.  The thought of skillful music creating both beauty and joy in the area around them is very cool.  Tagging a musician as 'art' allows people to stop and appreciate them, too, for a mood buff.

The-Eroks

Quote from: CopaKindred on April 12, 2017, 04:31:38 AM
I'm excited by the look of white_altar's music playback mod!  That has a lot of impact on the position of bards in the world.  The thought of skillful music creating both beauty and joy in the area around them is very cool.  Tagging a musician as 'art' allows people to stop and appreciate them, too, for a mood buff.
I agree. I'll reach out and see if he'd be willing to allow his project to be incorporated into this mod comp  :)

CopaKindred

Adherent Ethoses (Ethoi?  Ethos-plural?) are all done.  Need an editing pass which I'll do at the end.  Place-holder classes are all done (no descs).  Keep me updated with your progress!  Going to play with the traits some.

The-Eroks

Quote from: CopaKindred on April 15, 2017, 01:46:07 PM
Adherent Ethoses (Ethoi?  Ethos-plural?) are all done.  Need an editing pass which I'll do at the end.  Place-holder classes are all done (no descs).  Keep me updated with your progress!  Going to play with the traits some.

Awesome! I'll be posting a stable build this evening for sure.

Edit:
New public release. Nothing too special content-wise. RimBeast has been merged into EO with the permission of rooki1. Most of my work on the mod was focused on refining a python-script which makes converting older builds into the current version of RimWorld easier.

Next focus will be integrate more mods to start giving EO a more fantasy feel.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

roxxploxx

I'm working on code injection that resized the character screen for skills. Might check UnificaMagica in this forum. I need to run the injection code after all mods load, to count skills, but it will work for you now.

The-Eroks

Quote from: roxxploxx on April 29, 2017, 08:53:29 AM
I'm working on code injection that resized the character screen for skills. Might check UnificaMagica in this forum. I need to run the injection code after all mods load, to count skills, but it will work for you now.

You're a savior  ;) I will definitely be adding that! I assume you're adding a number of new skills for magic proficiency... For your situational awareness (and maybe you already found out the hard way), I did learn that if the name string for a skill is too long, that it basically corrupts the progress bar and flame icons--although I didn't experiment too much to find the exact length/reason. I suspect that it has to do with the GUI rolling the progress bar/flame icons outside of its draw area.

cesarjunior233