[A17][WIP] Unifica Magica - (v.4 beta - now on steam)

Started by roxxploxx, April 18, 2017, 01:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roxxploxx

Awesome! Didn't know anyone had used it.

Just use the regular research table.

I'll jump on discord. You've guilted me into it.

roxxploxx

Glad it helped! Right now I'm learning how to mod and what classes do what. Have to make a lot of helper classes.

This morning I made the Druid entangling vine plant trap. Have to round it out. Make it only work when grown... not grow under a roof... basically, druids won't be able to build fortified bases, is what I am going for.

The-Eroks

What is your general design strategy (to be fair, I haven't DL'd yours yet and looked at the .xml)? I was going to implement magic in the form of various "guns" (wands, orbs, implements, spell books) that "shoot" (cast) "projectiles" (fire, ice, sparks, magic, etc). It seems like you're also using buildings constructed from magic-themed resources that invoke additional effects?

roxxploxx

I'm using projectiles and turrets as a base for my mods, creating Comps as needed in code. I've modified the turrets to create a fueled turret, so it is fueled by arcane scripts. It's xml configurable to be whatever type, so dark magic could be fueled by corpses if you're into that. Dark magic could be an interesting path but not something I'm going to make at first.

I'm currently modding plants for use by Druids. As I posted above, Druids will grow plants for defense and utility. I'm also looking at modifying the inventory so Wizards that carry items will have additional Gizmos (aka buttons when you select them) that allow additional powers.  Sorcerers will have an internal resource system to cast their spells/sigils, etc.

That's my approach so far. I think I might write something up about modding as it's kinda cryptic (but not too bad compared to other modding platforms). I think there could be some good additions to RimWorld itself for other models to use eventually.

ZE

i was wondering, would you consider a different fuel source other than arcane scripts? i dont think they should be a fuel.  Perhaps raw mana/lifeforce/ether/ki/psychic energy could be extracted from a source like plants, living beings, the earth, lifestream vents (like steam vents) or crystalized in rocks, and can be manufacted into a material like FFVII's Mako is turned into materia

i had a pawn specifically dedicated to scriptcraft but it proved too taxing to keep my turrets charged and it didnt feel very magical, then again thats just my opinion

roxxploxx

Was probably going to rename them as Runes. More wizard like. Also, the not feeling wizard ish... probably comes from being too simple. If I make some type of thinking behind them... and multiple types... then there is a logic and a crafting strategy. Think Ultima and Bards Tale like spell naming and reagents. That might help.

Just been focused on getting anything to work; need to spend some time on refinement!

Good comments.

roxxploxx

Or maybe craft inks like WoW with the more powerful/rare used for top tier item creation (not as a resource). The ink reagents could come from many sources.

roxxploxx

A lot of what I am doing is infrastructure related for future modding. Working on archiving this knowledge too.

For now, working on Druids and their focus on plants.[/size] [/size]Druids will place pots around that are defensible. Then, you plant whatever plant you want in them to defend however you want. For now, I got an Entangling Vine plant to work and an exploding plant (working on fixing it so the Pot doesn't explode too). I broke them so I could make them work with the Component system of RimWorld so it might be a while before I get them out in a release. Should have screen capped it. :(

roxxploxx

I had to do some pretty intense things to get this to work but I now have easily moldable plants (I recreated the Component architecture of RimWorld to be applicable to any object, not just ThingsWithComps, for modders. Will be posting this soon and hope Tynan picks up on it.)

Anyway, notice the new images for Druid plants. Will be working on a poisoning plant with short term gas nausea and vomiting. Think Stinking Clouds spell from DnD. Also, a needler plant that shoots projectiles like a turret. Don't know how hard that is to implement yet. I could always just make it a buildable object like a normal turret but I like the concept of growing plants. Let me know thoughts on this though.

ZE

not sure im liking the rune recipes, the cost is too high for even a single block of arcane walling, considering the time it takes to make a single rune.  2 power and 3 binding is a hefty price

if you could tweak the runes to yield a higher amount like 5 per or lower the work required, and make the walls cost less it may be better.  i know balance is a pain in the ass....

haven't yet had a chance to test everything out but i just thought i'd throw in a few words bout the runes

roxxploxx

Appreciate the comments all. I'll look into some balance. The Runes are all balanced between each other with some scalings I did. I haven't figured out what constant value to base those on yet so I need to update that it seems! What scaling factor would be good to reduce these? By 5? By 3?

Also, I was imagining walls to be late game. I want them to self heal and such. I really want wizards to be slow moving with machinations operating around them that they don't need to tend to.

Thanks for the feedback.

Also, here's a teaser... Druid plants growing outdoors on ice sheets... :) Took a lot to get it to work but I should have the ability for druids to craft locations that empower plants. I have this thought of walking across ice sheets and coming to an oasis of lush trees. With Druids gaining power around vegetation, they had to have something like temperature changing plots.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

roxxploxx

Released version 3a which cuts Rune costs by 1/5. Still need to fix the temperature items to use runes. It's in the normal releases section.