Infections in a17

Started by Kerantli, May 03, 2017, 06:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowTani

Having skipped A16, I can say I'm not experiencing much difference in A17 in regards to infections. Making sure I actually clean every room I put the wounded colonist, which includes any blood they spilled on the ground while being bandaged, makes infections rather rare for me. Greatest contributor to infections is dirty surroundings in my experience, not bandage quality.

giltirn

I get the feeling that it also depends on the source of the cut. My colonist who got bitten by rabbits got infected in three organs simultaneously, and another colonist also bitten also got infected. However none of my guys who got cut up in raids got infections. It may be anecdotal but it does make sense that animal bites are more likely to cause infections, and if this is indeed true then perhaps my ire towards the infection mechanics is misdirected.

O Negative

When it comes to getting infected, the trick normally lies within tend quality, and how quickly you tend to the infected individual.

This chart can be used as a visual aid. A pawn with 100% blood filtration will develop immunity to an infection at a fairly decent rate. Standard immunity gain is represented by the black dots with the white outline. Pawns with less blood filtration are not represented in this graph. No worries, though! Because math is here to save us all!

The following equation can be used to determine the necessary average treatment quality for any given pawn:

Variables | Equation: ATQ = (-((60000 - TBT)(0.66 * BF)/60000)+0.84)/0.53
Average Tend Quality = ATQ
Ticks (time) Between Tends = TBT
Blood Filtration = BF

If you play with these numbers a bit, you'll notice just how important the time between each tend is! If you're quick, you can get away with an average tend quality of around 34%. But, if you neglect your colonists for even one in-game hour, the minimum you can get away with goes up to about 40%. Two hours between tends, and you need an average of at least about 44.5%. If your doctor decides to go to sleep for 8 hours right as the infected pawn needs to be tended again, your required average tend quality shoots up to 75.5%! That is, I think, a worst-case scenario. But, the chance for it to happen exists. So, I thought it was important to mention.

Ideally, pawns shouldn't have to come so close to death, given modern (normal) medicine as well as some basic knowledge of how to use it.

I'm going to be doing some in-game testing to see how difficult it is to achieve these tend qualities in a normal playthrough, soon :D

I would also like to suggest a sort of "tend difficulty" that can be assigned to different hediffs.
A lvl 5 doctor with modern medicine could tend a standard infection rather well.
But, that same doctor with that same medicine might not be able to tend the plague as easily.
Essentially, adding the possibility for some diseases to be more easily treated by lower-tier medicine than others.
Hopefully that makes sense...
It would help with ease of balance, I think. :)

Listen1

Sorry, I haven't read the whole discussion, but has anyone experienced this?

My colonist died of the infection when the immunity was above the infection %;

Is this WAD? Dosen't seem fair at all

DariusWolfe

Without seeing the pre-death numbers I'm only guessing, but I believe that can happen of consciousness or some other vital stats drop too low, due to combined injuries or conditions. I think it may have been an "unintended side effect" but deemed reasonable by Tynan when it was brought up before.

O Negative

The torso was damaged 30%, equally decreasing efficiency
The infection brought torso efficiency down 70%

0% torso efficiency = 100% death

Shurp

So he died from his injuries (helped by the infection).

BTW, I haven't had any trouble with infections yet, and I've had plenty of foxbites and bullet holes.  I think you just have to make sure you treat your colonists right away with herbal medicine.

Or maybe playing in a -20'C biome helps?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Listen1

Quote from: O Negative on May 30, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

That makes alot of sense. I'll have to patch them up better. I had only a few infections, but they scared me. For me it's good that they are back.

TheMeInTeam

So far in A17, I am just ordering pawns to self-tend ASAP after fights.  Occasionally they get infected, but insta-bedrest and tending even without meds is usually enough to get them to 100% immunity before infection gets there (it's close though).  For these situations herbal meds and halfway decent medical skill will do the job easily enough, no need to use meds on any little injury.

Also so far in A17, early game disease is still broken for lost tribes.  Broken in the sense that you absolutely must do one of 1) put yourself near outworld colonies for trade or 2) get lucky with penoxy or at least medicine from wandering traders early on.

Since plague can hit you inside 1-2 seasons, researching for making penoxy is completely impossible; this stuff is hitting before a 600 cost tech (stoneworking) is done sometimes.  At least if you slap yourself near a settlement you can make a short run for either penoxy (if available) or medicine (buy + forbid, save it for critical stuff), but it sucks that we STILL have to do this to avoid nigh instant-game over for half or more of colony pawns on RNG.

Without the BS disease proc super early you can get by against other stuff with using herbal meds sparingly just fine.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Listen1 on May 30, 2017, 06:09:22 PM
Sorry, I haven't read the whole discussion, but has anyone experienced this?

My colonist died of the infection when the immunity was above the infection %;

Is this WAD? Dosen't seem fair at all

Just happened to me too.

https://imgur.com/a/rCTyu

My Colonist (normal rest/ not forced) started to wander around at infection zero percent and because it was early I chose to wait until he would recover, but wasn't, so at 50% I sent a club wielder to knock him out to force him to bed, but got surprised the infection killed my pawn at an even value. I was surprised by this mechanism that I reloaded an autosave. First time I lost a pawn before Infection reached 100%.

The replies that you got are unclear to me but I will just make sure to bed them anyways. First time I reload a game. Kinda sucks to lose a pawn just because of a mini detail unawareness after all the colony had gone through.

Snafu_RW

Chances are the extra club dmg was just enough to knock him under the threshold :(
Dom 8-)

b0rsuk

Quote from: O Negative on May 30, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

I also think it was a combination of factors. I mean, look - moderate blood loss, extreme infection, several wounds, malnutrition, dirty hospital...

Vlad0mi3r

There are lots of factors in regards to infections. Bed and room bonuses are really important so sterile tiles and Hospital beds as soon as reasonably possible. High quality normal beds can also  buff immunity gain as well as help with avoiding mental breaks.

As said previously tending asap is very important I never hesitate to wake my best doctor up to go and do the rounds of the hospital treating everyone. Keep the janitor cleaner on task as well. If you keep on top of things (you can read this as micro manage if you like) even plagues can be handled early on.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Panzer

Yeah efficiency is new in A17, it is a representation of body part HP. An infection past 87% applies -70% efficiency, in other words you could say it applied 28 damage to the torso (adult human torso has 40hp).

To survive infections it is important to have the patient stay in bed and keep him fed, to keep the immunity gain speed up. Treatments do nothing for the immunity gain speed, they only slow down the infection speed, so your goal is to slow down the infection enough for immunity to overtake it and reach 100% first.

If you re low on medicine you could treat with medicine until the immunity rate is higher than the infection rate and then treat without medicine, that depends on your doc skill though :P

Shurp

Quote from: Panzer on September 07, 2017, 04:24:58 AM
If you re low on medicine you could treat with medicine until the immunity rate is higher than the infection rate and then treat without medicine, that depends on your doc skill though :P

That's what I usually do -- give them a dose of medicine when the infection first shows up, then treat without medicine after that.  Which even makes medical sense.  You're swatting the infection down enough for the patient's immune system to handle after that.

And yes, all injured pawns go to bed *immediately* after combat.  The faster their wounds heal the less likely an infection is to occur anyway.  (My guess is that if an injury heals before the infection becomes visible the infection is deleted?)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.