Infections in a17

Started by Kerantli, May 03, 2017, 06:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: O Negative on May 10, 2017, 03:06:17 AM
When it comes to getting infected, the trick normally lies within tend quality, and how quickly you tend to the infected individual.

This chart can be used as a visual aid. A pawn with 100% blood filtration will develop immunity to an infection at a fairly decent rate. Standard immunity gain is represented by the black dots with the white outline. Pawns with less blood filtration are not represented in this graph. No worries, though! Because math is here to save us all!

The following equation can be used to determine the necessary average treatment quality for any given pawn:

Variables | Equation: ATQ = (-((60000 - TBT)(0.66 * BF)/60000)+0.84)/0.53
Average Tend Quality = ATQ
Ticks (time) Between Tends = TBT
Blood Filtration = BF

If you play with these numbers a bit, you'll notice just how important the time between each tend is! If you're quick, you can get away with an average tend quality of around 34%. But, if you neglect your colonists for even one in-game hour, the minimum you can get away with goes up to about 40%. Two hours between tends, and you need an average of at least about 44.5%. If your doctor decides to go to sleep for 8 hours right as the infected pawn needs to be tended again, your required average tend quality shoots up to 75.5%! That is, I think, a worst-case scenario. But, the chance for it to happen exists. So, I thought it was important to mention.

Ideally, pawns shouldn't have to come so close to death, given modern (normal) medicine as well as some basic knowledge of how to use it.

I'm going to be doing some in-game testing to see how difficult it is to achieve these tend qualities in a normal playthrough, soon :D

I would also like to suggest a sort of "tend difficulty" that can be assigned to different hediffs.
A lvl 5 doctor with modern medicine could tend a standard infection rather well.
But, that same doctor with that same medicine might not be able to tend the plague as easily.
Essentially, adding the possibility for some diseases to be more easily treated by lower-tier medicine than others.
Hopefully that makes sense...
It would help with ease of balance, I think. :)

Does this assume bedrest?  I suspect it doesn't, since I can routinely have normally healthy pawns survive infection via bedrest + no medicine at all, and that gives lower tend quality than you suggest is required to survive.

I've even done start-with-nothing scenarios where my lone pawn got infected with 7 skill in medicine and was able to self-tend into not dying.  Disease progress was ~93% when I hit immunity since the tend quality was pretty junky...certainly below 40% on average.

Edit: I don't like the idea of making plague basically auto-kill to herbal meds again.  Tribes need some kind of counterplay to that or to not get plague in first 1-2 seasons.  Right now living is possible if you are really precise with tend timings + have medicine stored next to diseased pawns.

Yoshida Keiji

Using Penoxycyline huh? FU players!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]