[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maculator

Can you make a slider to select how many stonetypes a map should generate? And is it possible to alter the generation of fertile soil? Those are two things I had on my mind regarding the terraforming mod.

dburgdorf

Quote from: maculator on September 19, 2017, 01:57:01 PMCan you make a slider to select how many stonetypes a map should generate? And is it possible to alter the generation of fertile soil? Those are two things I had on my mind regarding the terraforming mod.

"Configurable Maps" allows you to alter the details of how individual game maps are generated, but doesn't alter the manner in which the world map is generated. This distinction is relevant to your first question, as the number and specific type(s) of stone to be found on any given individual map are dictated by the world map. If you want to play on a map with granite and marble, for example, I'm afraid there's really no way around having to find and select a tile with both of those stone types from the world map.

I suppose I could look at the possibility of allowing the frequency with which various types of stone show up on the world map to be altered, but I make no promises, as off the top of my head, I have no idea how easy/practical that would be, especially given that I'd have to take into consideration the possibility of modded-in additional stone types....

As to your second question, I assume you're asking if it would be possible to add a slider to alter the relative balance of rich soil vs. normal soil on maps.  That would probably not be terribly difficult, though of course it wouldn't allow you to add rich soil to maps that don't already have it.  ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

maculator

Thanks for the quick reply. Well I thought it would've been interresting to have like 1 kind of stone or if one desires like all of them mixed up on a map. But that was just a question out of curiosity.
The rich soil one is more interesting since I really wish for more of it sometimes. Also if you use a mod like "tilled soil" you might just not want any rich soil at all and want to have your farmers do the work instead.

And I'd like to bump a question I asked yesterday or the day before that: Did you concider, or is it even possible, to alter the behavior of mountain generation regarding the shape?
("Valley Map", "Canyon Map", "Village arround a mountain Map" etc..).

dburgdorf

Quote from: maculator on September 19, 2017, 02:29:40 PMAnd I'd like to bump a question I asked yesterday or the day before that: Did you concider, or is it even possible, to alter the behavior of mountain generation regarding the shape? ("Valley Map", "Canyon Map", "Village arround a mountain Map" etc..).

I could have sworn I'd already responded to that question. Anyway, while it would certainly be possible, creation of those sorts of "themed" maps would require entirely new map generation routines that I wouldn't even know how to begin to write.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

faltonico

Meat is not transforming to rotten meat or mush on the latest fertile fields for me.

dburgdorf

Quote from: faltonico on September 19, 2017, 05:53:18 PMMeat is not transforming to rotten meat or mush on the latest fertile fields for me.

No one else has reported any problems, and various meats rot into rotted meat just fine when I check myself, so unless you're just not waiting long enough, expecting the meat to rot faster than it actually does, I can only assume you're dealing with some sort of conflict. If you can track down what FF is conflicting with, I'll be happy to see if I can find a solution.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

faltonico

Thanks for the reply.
I just wanted to make sure it was working as intended before delving in yet another bug hunt.

What would a mod had to change to be incompatible with yours or to cause that?

EDIT: nevermind, i found it:
Rot Tick Fix
It is supposed to lower the temperature check interval for rotting items, it helps with performance. I have no clue how it ended up doing that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: faltonico on September 19, 2017, 07:34:37 PMEDIT: nevermind, i found it: Rot Tick Fix

That is definitely the problem. It alters the code class that handles rotting, just as FF does. Unfortunately, unlike FF and most all other current mods, it doesn't use the Harmony Patch Library, but rather, still does an old-fashioned detour, replacing the class completely. So there's nothing I can do to make the mods compatible. You'll either have to accept that you'll never see rotted meat or rotted mush in your games, or get rid of the RTF mod.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

faltonico

I just started the colony i am running now, i have no glaring performance issues so far. so I disabled Rot Tick fix, when i have the need to install it, i would probably wont need fertilizer anymore, so it is ok.

Thank you for checking it out.

dburgdorf

Archipelagos has been updated:

- Though most archipelagos remain flat maps, some are now small hills maps, and a few are actually large hills maps.

- Replaced the "polka dot" world map archipelago tiles with solid tiles, with orangish tints. (Why orange? Because nothing on the world map was already orange. The archipelagos will be easy to spot.)

- Added patches to allow "FishIndustry" fish to be caught in archipelagos.

Configurable Maps has also been updated, to fix a minor glitch in its "Archipelagos" compatibility.

Just as a side note, I'll point out that if you're using both mods, and you have your maps set to generate with extremely high mountain levels, while "small hills" archipelagos will still look mostly like islands, "large hills" archipelagos won't. Lower mountain level settings, though, should be OK for all archipelagos.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

quartercircles

This island mod was the mod I always wanted but didn't ever realize it O:

sirgzu

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 19, 2017, 09:32:52 AM
Quote from: sirgzu on September 19, 2017, 04:46:45 AMWith archipelagos map I'm only getting deep ocean water tiles, no shallow water at all. Most of the time some parts of the map are not accessible.

As to the second point, yes, you will often find access to some islands completely blocked by deep water. That's intended behavior. They are islands, after all. Some portions of the map will be inaccessible until and unless you build a bridge or otherwise create a path to allow your pawns to reach them.  (That's not possible with this mod by itself, of course, but it's possible with the addition of my own "Basic Bridges" or another bridge mod, or my own "Fertile Fields" or another terraforming mod.)

As to your first point, if you're saying you get ocean water but no fresh water, again, that's intended. But if you're saying you get deep ocean water but no shallow ocean water, well, that's bizarre, and should *not* be happening. There should be shallow water surrounding the islands and sometimes connecting them, as can be seen in the mod's "preview" image. If you're seeing no shallow water at all, I'd assume there's a conflict with something else in your mod list, though I have no idea what mod might be the culprit.
Aye, there is no shallow water, only deep ocean water.
At the top of my head the only mods in my modlist that *might* cause a problem are tiberium, caveworld and mapreroll. I don't know if it matters but currently i have your mods towards the bottom of my modlist.

dburgdorf

Quote from: sirgzu on September 20, 2017, 02:59:20 AMAt the top of my head the only mods in my modlist that *might* cause a problem....

Well, let me know when you figure out which mod *is* causing the problem, and I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on and how to work around it.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Sylph

Sweet collection of mods. I'm particularly appreciative of Pawns are Capable. And Archipelagos might just get me to come down from the mountains. Maybe.

If I could make a minor, literary suggestion though... concerning your concrete mod. Specifically the "plasticrete" wall. Made from "...and, according to some, the blood of sacrificial virgins." It's just a bit... strange, and thematically jarring. The humour doesn't really match with Rimworld's own.

Also, naming the substances "Steel-reinforced Concrete" (Wall/Embrasure/etc) and "Plasteel-reinforced Concrete" would make them sound just that little bit more awesome, imho, particular in the case of the latter. "Plasticrete" strongly evokes "plastic" to me, and plastic doesn't exactly convey the idea of a formidable building material.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Sylph on September 20, 2017, 11:07:51 AMIf I could make a minor, literary suggestion though....

Fair points regarding the names. And, yeah, I was in a rather silly mood the day I wrote the plasticrete description. I should probably revisit it. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?