Stonecutting in A17. A crafting job but uses and levels the construction skill

Started by hubtastic, May 27, 2017, 04:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubtastic

So it seems "cutting stone blocks from chunks" now uses the construction skill, and give experience to construction too, instead of crafting. But it's still a crafting job - surely that can't be right?

It means I have to assign someone with "high" construction skill to crafting for blocks to be made quickly (and for them to benefit from the experience), but it also means someone with "high" crafting will waste their time making blocks and gaining experience in an irrelevant skill.

I can see the logic in making it a construction job, but then just make it a construction job in the work priorities?

Moderator's edit (Caahan) - I have edited the thread title to make the thread easier to find via the search function for those looking for info / a thread about this recent change. Original title was "Blockmaking in Alpha 17".

makkenhoff

I did not notice this - but you are correct. It actually doesn't give any experience to crafting, so this may be an oversight.

ArguedPiano

I believe the skill change for block making was intended, but leaving it as a crafting job was an oversight. It was discussed in the bug forums here: (No reply from Tynan as of yet)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32758.0

I wholeheartedly agree that if it's using the construction skill it should be a construction job. I don't want to have a poor crafter set to crafting just so they can make some blocks and vise-versa.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Calahan

@ hubtastic - As ArguedPiano says, this was an intended change for A17. Although it may (or may not) be an oversight that stonecutting is still a crafting job rather than construction. But we need to wait to hear from Tynan regarding this to know either way (I can't recall seeing a comment from him about it yet, although he may well have made one that I've missed).

If it an oversight then that means it's likely a bug, but I'll leave this thread in GD (rather than moving it to bugs) because there's already a bug thread for this, and having a thread in GD about it as well will (hopefully!) make it less likely for others to create duplicate threads asking about the same thing (hopefully!!).

hubtastic

Great, thanks for all the replies. Good to know it's been raised in the bugs forum too.

Canute

I hope that got changed back.
Basicly there is no different between construction and crafting. The big difference are crafting is done on a workbench while construction is done at the free area.

ShadowTani

Personally, I really wish stonecrafting and drug crafting got placed in their own job categories (i.e. masonry and chemistry). It's not very intuitive the way it's now. Particularly with stonecrafting as a separate job you'll be able to have them skill up construction before you'll let them work on furniture projects that depend on skill for their quality.

Stormfox

Quote from: ShadowTani on May 27, 2017, 09:58:32 AM
Personally, I really wish stonecrafting and drug crafting got placed in their own job categories (i.e. masonry and chemistry). It's not very intuitive the way it's now. Particularly with stonecrafting as a separate job you'll be able to have them skill up construction before you'll let them work on furniture projects that depend on skill for their quality.

A few of us suggested simply dividing "crafting" in "crafting" and "simple crafts" or something to that effect before. Simple crafts involves stonecutting, woodcutting and similar, relatively unskilled tasks, while crafting itself stays for building equipment.

O Negative

I'm personally entirely against this newfound A17 philosophy, with respect to crafting jobs giving experience to other categories.
- Having a job's category not give the experience to that same category is entirely unintuitive to any player (new or veteran). In the long run, you're just going to keep ending up with threads like this one due to confusion from newer players. "Why is a(n) X job giving Y experience? This makes no sense."
- Pawns that are capable of crafting, but are incapable of the skill the experience is actually going to become stagnant (with respect to skill). Having a potential experience sink like this in the game is absolutely frustrating. I have never been in a situation where I needed my crafter and constructor to be the same person, and the last thing I need is for my lower-skill crafter to miss out on any potential crafting experience by wasting his time gaining experience in a job he's never going to do.
- There's nothing wrong with allowing workbenches to allow for bills assigned to other jobs. Construction/intellectual jobs at a work bench wouldn't hurt. We already have a workbench for intellectual, actually; the research bench.

That's my two cents on the topic :/

Headshotkill

Meh, personally I prefer consistency, if it has every caracteristic of a crafting job then it should improve crafting skill. Keeps the game clean.

Stormfox

Quote from: O Negative on May 27, 2017, 07:27:43 PM
I'm personally entirely against this newfound A17 philosophy, with respect to crafting jobs giving experience to other categories.
- Having a job's category not give the experience to that same category is entirely unintuitive to any player (new or veteran). In the long run, you're just going to keep ending up with threads like this one due to confusion from newer players. "Why is a(n) X job giving Y experience? This makes no sense."
- Pawns that are capable of crafting, but are incapable of the skill the experience is actually going to become stagnant (with respect to skill). Having a potential experience sink like this in the game is absolutely frustrating. I have never been in a situation where I needed my crafter and constructor to be the same person, and the last thing I need is for my lower-skill crafter to miss out on any potential crafting experience by wasting his time gaining experience in a job he's never going to do.
- There's nothing wrong with allowing workbenches to allow for bills assigned to other jobs. Construction/intellectual jobs at a work bench wouldn't hurt. We already have a workbench for intellectual, actually; the research bench.

That's my two cents on the topic :/

This pretty much sums up the problem (and the solution).

TheXIIILightning

If this change is intended, how about making it so that 100% of the experience gained is divided by: 25% crafting 75% construction?
Or perhaps even make it a 50/50 split. That way the colonists are slowly evolving in both jobs but the appropriate tasks such as building still provide 100% of construction experience.

Perhaps actions like making joints and weapons could be the only way to get 100% crafting experience.

Wintersdark

Seriously, if a job builds construction skill, it should be a construction job.  This is really simple stuff.

I'm fine with Stonecutting being Construction, but if that's going to be the case, pawns assigned to Construction should be doing it, not pawns assigned to crafting.

mcgnarman

I just noticed that now stone cutting increases the construction skill, but you have to have a pawn able to craft to do it. It seems odd it wouldn't increase crafting either, however, I like it to easily increases ones construction skill.

Was this a recent A17 change? I can't recall when that might have happened.