Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgrath

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I was looking around for stuff to do after getting bored with Dwarven Fortress and found Rimworld

-What's your favorite other game?
Space Engineers. Love building games but at the moment I have 2500+ hours logged playing Space Engineers.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Lots of stories, but nothing I'm embarrassed about.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cereal Yuk... Vegemite on toast
I love testing things and watching them break   :P
Sure I'll test it for you!
"Are you a Wizard^^ Belgrath?"
"maybe..."

sharpjd

What introduced me to RimWorld:
-I got tired of other ol' games and own and started a quest for new games. I eventually gave up and went on YouTube. One of the people I subbed started playing RimWorld. I was instantly excited as well a instantly hooked. I went on to get the game, and am still playing to this date. (Also messing around with Developer Mode)

My favourite other game:
-I've had a mind-war with Minecraft vs Battleships Forever vs A8. None came on top and they all decimated each other, so I'm still not sure of my other favourite game. I own a bunch of other games, too.

My most embarrassing in-game story(ies):
1. One day a mad squirrel came knocking on my door. I was dumb and constructed an IED trap in front of the door (And of course forbid it) but the squirrel tripped the trap as it was knocking on the door. One of my colonists at that time were around, but the squirrel instead of attacking my colonist kept attacking the door. The IED trap finally exploded and killed one colonists and downed two other colonists. It sucked.

Breakfast Cereal?
-Oatmeal or Krave
-Excuse the pun

P.S. I just registered

infinitewarp

Hello all! Long time player/reader, first time poster. :) I've been playing RimWorld since Jan '15. It's my on-again-off-again addiction that I keep coming back to with each new release.

I've always been into the sim/builder games. I spent tons of time playing SimCity and SimCity 2000 in the '90s; I was all over the SCURK scene when it emerged on the Internet in the mid '90s. A few years ago, I got hooked on Minecraft shortly after the switch from infdev to alpha in 2010, and I have been running private servers for friends and colleagues ever since.

After starting to get bored with Minecraft, a friend of mine introduced me to Dwarf Fortress in early 2012. I loved the idea of it, but I couldn't get past the interface and steep learning curve. I would watch a few hours of tutorials/lets plays on YouTube, feel like I had a good handle on it for a couple of days, and realize that I'd completely forgotten everything a week later.

Then for some reason in late December 2014, I decided to try DF again. I think I was Googling around for UI mods or something, and I came across a post on Reddit suggesting RimWorld as another game in the genre of DF but with a more more approachable and usable interface. It looked great, and I bought my copy just a few days later.  :D

Most recently, Cities Skylines.

Not particularly embarrassing, but a funny personal story. Back in the early alpha days of Minecraft, shortly after I started my first server, one evening some friends and I were trying to clear out some trees. This was before there were separate biomes, and generic oak trees just grew everywhere. I figured I could do a "controlled burn" to easily clear out an area, but little did I know how quickly fire spread (much faster back then). Hundreds of trees were ablaze by the time I came up with a solution. No one was fast enough to cut them down, so I resorted to dropping stacks of TNT ahead of the fire to create a physical break. That massive scar upon the landscape still hadn't healed for over a year.

Frosted mini wheats or raisin bran crunch! Getting old means trying to at least pretend to have a healthy breakfast. :D

milon

Quote from: infinitewarp on June 12, 2016, 01:24:26 PM
... a friend of mine introduced me to Dwarf Fortress in early 2012. I loved the idea of it, but I couldn't get past the interface and steep learning curve. I would watch a few hours of tutorials/lets plays on YouTube, feel like I had a good handle on it for a couple of days, and realize that I'd completely forgotten everything a week later.

Me too!  Except I couldn't put more than 30 minutes into actually playing DF (or attempting to).  I could not get past the UI.  I tried.  So I console myself with reading DF LP's.  ;)

Hori75

Hori75 here
- What introduce you to Rimworld?
My friend show me the game by screenshot and I interested to this game
- What's your another favorite game?
Stardew Valley by Concerned Ape
- Most embarrassing gaming-related story
First time on Rimworld... Creating world... after selecting colonist and place to start
"Wow, the terrain is really confusing" *Goes to menu and creates new colony again
- Cereal?
No, I take porridge instead for breakfast

P.S. Sorry for most embarassing gaming-related story  :-X

brcruchairman

Howdy y'all! My name is Andrew, I'm an unabashed economics nerd and simulation enthusiast who stumbled onto this game by chance. See, I play another game called Prison Architect with a very similar visual style. I saw a screencap of this game, thought it was a mod, checked it out, and then saw the words "Dwarf Fortress meets Firefly." Those being two of my favorite things, I bought it on the spot. I have no regrets.

CrazyTribal

Me - Really It's all about Me....

I have been playing games for many years now, starting with the old Nintendo Entertainment System back in the late 1980s.  Eventually went onto PC games and never went back to Console gaming.

I first saw Rimworld on Youtube in a Let's Play series... I instantly fell in love with the game once I played it.   Being a fan of both Sci-Fi and management simulation games it was perfect and just kept getting better.

My favorite game(s) of all time would have to be three.. Mass Effect Trilogy.  Love the lore, the characters and overall story.

Well, for anyone who watches my Let's Plays... I tend to be a bit jumpy.. so yeah I'm that guy who jumps when the toast pops out of the toaster...  - so needless to say anytime a zombie, creeper or even bunny rabbit happens to come up behind me.. I freak .. well in the case of Rimworld that would be when RAID suddenly appears on my screen and I realize I am armed with a muffalo chop (okay maybe that isn't possible) but still... ;)

Toughest Question of them all ...IF I must narrow it down to one, then Lucky Charms... why? pfft Obviously because their magically delicious.. and really.. who doesn't like magic?  :)
Question:What's better than a Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Answer: I don't want to know the answer...

Come visit Crazy Tribal Gaming Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9L17J54Il77T6t95d4G3pw

Kashipoi

Hello! Not sure what I'm doing here. Friend got me interested in this and really looking forward to steam release? (By the way does anyone know if that's going to have steamworks drm or not? If I can I kinda prefer to launch my games without steam reporting it...)

DF introduced me I guess, there isn't much similar to this style of gameplay. The fact rimworld actually has production values and an interface makes it a lot more suitable for me since I'm not really at 100% at all times.

The game I've returned to the most consistently is actually doom! The originals that is, new one is good too though. People always making cool stuff for it and I don't think it's stopping anytime soon.

I don't think I can post that on a worksafe board.

Frosted flakes, no contest. Maybe it's heresy but I just LOVE waiting till they get kinda soggy and clumpy, so sweet and tasty and nommy like that. And the leftover milk is so sugary and sweet I wish I could just buy presweetened with frosted flakes milk when I go out.

CortexVortex08

Hello! I'm a high school student that likes astronomy and history, I'm a big fan of management games, RPGs, and old-school strategy games... and after losing so many hours to this game, I thought I should probably join the forums.

Quill18!

That'd have to be a tie between Star Wars Battlefront II, Fallout: New Vegas and Crash Bandicoot: Warped.

I've never actually beaten the Binding of Isaac. Need to get on that sometime.

Frosted Wheat Puffs. But still, bacon > all.

Lykos

Hey how y'all doing? I live in the southern part of the United States and just got into rimworld recently.

My parents got my evil genius as a kid *LOVED* it. Also whenever i played age of empires i turtled against the AI and built mazes with the walls . . . . gates lead to nowhere left peasants in archer towers AI path finding would tunnel through three gates to get to three walls that went nowhere it was funny to watch.
It is between the gears of war series and evil genius. Though i also love resident evil 5 as 'bro' couch coop shooter.
Self jackassing in couch coop during Halo combat evolved. Sometimes you go to bounce a grenade or land a banshee things go wrong and you both respawn.
Grits. Or oatmeal. Grits with cheese or shrimp or maybe some sugar or maybe brown sugar. Also pizza is good for breakfast but is not a breakfast cereal.

Skullever

Greetings programs, I'm Skullever (that's Skull-ever, not Skull-lever, but I take them both.) Maybe you've seen me somewhere before; I'm all over the place as far as the internet and gaming go, and I always go by the same username. I've posted on the forums a few times after I bought the game at A13 release, but I never actually introduced myself.

I came to RimWorld from Prison Architect while searching for management games of a similar style; for a sample of the type of gamer I am, I've logged well over 1000 hours in Crusader Kings 2. I think that makes that my favorite other game, but Rocket League is a pretty close second, and Overwatch is also rising fast. I'm not quite sure what constitutes and embarrassing gaming story, but I lost 8-4 in a Rocket League tournament on Thursday and still haven't recovered my pride.

As for breakfast cereal, frosted mini wheats are definitely the best.

Senki

Very psyched to be here! New to RimWorld.

I came across RimWorld because of Steam Early Access (wish I had known about it sooner).

Some of my favourite other games are Ecco the Dolphin and Ecco: Tides of Time (dat music), Stardew Valley, Viridi (lol) and very likely, RimWorld!

I enjoy "healthier" breakfast cereals with some crunch, but nothing "flakey" like corn or bran flakes.

I like hard cereals made of a healthy grain that are crunchy with a little bit of sweet to them. Multi-Grain Cheerios and Corn Bran Squares/Crunch are enjoyed.

Aww yeah, just look at those delicious, crunchy, hard squares. :9

It also sounds suspiciously similar to kibble when poured in a bowl...

:C

Leah

Yo! I'm Leah, I also like being called Squeak. I'm still really new to forums in general so I apologize if my posts aren't formatted correctly at all. I'm sorta new to RimWorld, been playing non-stop for the past few days but I'm already catching on. I'm not the best at structural design, but RimWorld is one of the few games I can make a decent looking home on.
- My friend introduced me to RimWorld and I fell in love with the game ever since.
- My favorite games include XCOM, Sims, Starbound, and now RimWorld!
- One of my most embarrassing gaming stories is whenever I play a horror game I end up leaning back in my chair with my finger hovering over the pause button, pausing almost every second because I'm afraid what might be around the corner, be it a falling over bottle or some sort of monster.
- My favorite breakfast cereal is poptarts! (Props to you if you understand the reference)
Make cowboy hat x50.

lowtheparasite

Name is lowtheparasite, I specialize in RTS and TBS my favorite game of all time is Chrono Trigger, most embrassing game related story? I passed out first on a halo marathon, and woke up covered in melted candy corn, been afraid of candy corn since. Apple jacks is where the party is at.

isRyan

Hello, my name is ryan, and I am a story addict. I am making an account to share the tragedies that my colonies become, so that the colonists I bond with may be recorded and not forgotten, especially by me.

I bought on Alpha 6, but I was introduced to it around Alpha 3 by the youtuber sips.

I really like Mount and Blade: Warband, and I am really excited for Mount and Blade: Bannerlord even though that probably won't come out till next year
I've thought about it, and realized that I don't really have one. oh well.
the original version of Captain Crunch, love that stuff.