Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSurvivemer

Hello everyone,

I'm The Survivemer. And I know that some might have some problems pronouncing it...  It's 2 separate words: "survive", then "mer" as in the last part of "gamer". Now you have it ;)

I'm an old software engineer and avid gamer. When I'm not coding or playing around with my little daughter, I record some let's plays or stream live. I have a very humble YouTube channel where I publish episodes on several games, RimWorld among them. This is one of my favorites games.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
None other than Quill18!

-What's your favorite other game?
Tough question! I would say Stonehearth... and The Long Dark, and 7 Days To Die, and Subnautica, and, and, and... hehehehe

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Discovering what's inside the fallen chunk of poisonous metal and leading my colony to complete disaster... on a LIVE stream!

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
None, I try to avoid carbs at all costs ;) I go directly for chicken at launch.

Cheers guys, and have a nice day!  :)

Cards1125

Hey guys! Cards here.  And its Cards like the University of Louisville (Kentucky), not playing Cards    ;)

I'm a husband, a father of three, and I enjoy gaming so that I can ignore all of my adult responsibilities.

Rimworld showed up on my Steam recommended games list, and boy am I ever glad that it did.

Probably GTA.  Although I have to give LA Noire some love.  Zelda, A Link to the Past has to be up there.  But I enjoy lots of different styles.  I played everything from WoW, to Civ.  Total War, NBA2k, Out of the Park Baseball, GameDev Tycoon. And if I can ever find another Sega Derby Owners Club machine, I'll go broke.  If anyone ever makes a good Wheel of Time MMORPG, I'll become a hermit.

Rimworld produces a lot of them.  I tried a naked brutality run in arid shrubland not long ago. A deer incap'd me in the middle of a cold snap.  I regained mobility and staggered back to my shelter, but died of hypothermia literally at my doorstep.  On a different playthrough, I ignored a fire because I was in a mountain.  Never noticing the ancient danger was surrounded by steel.  A centipede and two scythers are no joke on day 20 of a start with nothing.  Thank goodness for those traders eh?

Honeynut cheerios.  Obviously.

headb

Hello!

I am headb, or as I put it as my username in this forum.

I'm not yet that good with forums but with all your help, I might be?

I'm also new to rim world, so I'm relying heavily on all help I could get.

My daughter showed me this game and showed me the awesome reviews it got, so here I am! Help? Har har.

EstherCole

Hello!!
I am Esther Cole from California.

Adsixnine

Howzit_Toyah

Wow. I'm five years late to the party.
What the hell have I been doing with myself?

Anyway, my name is Howzit, and I've only gotten into this game about a year ago. I've always liked video games, and I'm not picky. Ask a random person on the street about a game you know of. If the person hasn't heard of it and it's well put together, then chances are I'll like it.

Now for the questions!

"What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?"
I was looking for something new to play on Steam when I saw the cover image for Rimworld. What kept my attention to the game was seeing one of the colonists getting pegged by the exploding turret in the trailer. Then there was that same colonist sleeping on the floor in the middle of a wedding. And finally the montage of epic battles at the end.Then I read the top review on how someone set a raider's head on fire, replaced his arms with robot claws, made him die of weed, then feed him to the colony's wolves. I was convinced.

"What's your favorite other game?"
That's... honestly a good question. I'd honestly have to say Hyper Light Drifter, Minecraft, or The Elder Scrolls IV.

"Most embarrassing gaming-related story?"
This one actually occurred last week in RimWorld. I had one of my colonists, a girl with a shotgun and steel plate named Mora, man a mortar to defend against a siege. After the raider's mortars exploded, and after they were routed by my troops, I forgot to take Mora off the mortar. She was there for 15 hours. She had a berserk rage and almost doomed my wounded colonists. ...And she fell asleep after punching my doctor in the face.

"What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?"
Honey Nut Cheerios with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

scorlew

It popped up as a suggestion on Steam, as I play other sim/civ builder games.  Started playing these nearly 30 years ago on the original IBM PC.  I still play low-fi, or totally non-graphics stuff if the game itself is good.

Used to play MS Flight Sim obsessively until I got my RL license.  Only thing on Steam that I've logged more hours than RW is Civilization.  A few years ago I found a web site that emulates old MS DOS games and have resumed playing Empire.

The usual gaming overruled RL stuff.  Nothing terribly funny.

No opinion since I can't remember the last time I ate cereal.

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

scorlew

Quote from: Franz123 on September 05, 2018, 11:48:13 PM
Hello, I'm the newest member of the group, please welcome me. :)

Welcome, me.  Now say good night Gracie.
                           -WZ

poika22

Hi everybody.

I have 300 hours in this game. I'm still playing vanilla. I'm yet to look at a wiki, a guide, any youtube video or twitch stream. I also haven't made it to the spaceship or whatever the end goal might actually be, it's still a mystery to me. I play permadeath and always get wiped out eventually, though my current save is doing better than ever with 14 colonists.

So I probably won't be visiting the site, because there's still things for me to discover on my own that I don't want to read about. But hi anyway  ;):D

catter

Quote from: scorlew on September 06, 2018, 01:09:50 AM

Was that a George Burns and Gracie Allen reference?

Aki-San

"You know, i'm something of a scientist myself.." would be a nice way to describe me. :)

I love knowledge in any form, way or shape. So RPG, Looting and Strategy are my preferred genres.

Hm.. i think it was suggested in Steam, but i was more like "okay, fav and wait until more is out..". Then it started to pop up on Youtube and i stumbled upon Decoherent. This got me hooked. Nearly 300 hours in and still enjoying it. :)

Finally a game worth it's price again! Thank you very,very much!

Everything about this game, from the menu, the mod support as well as balancing and style speaks for a person that loves and enjoy games. a true enthusiast. :)

-What are your other favorite games?
Borderlands 2, Ark, Stardew Valley and Diablo 2

My ex-clan boss (CS 1.6?) (i was one of the five founding members) was the first publicly announced ban for cheating in the ESL and even got a feature story in "GIGA TV"... :/
(2006 or so?)

for normal days: "muesli" (nutritional with fruits and carbs).
for taste: frosties :D

scorlew

Quote from: catter on September 08, 2018, 04:04:43 PM

I am ever so slightly above average age for this group.  I'm impressed that anyone here got that reference.
                           -WZ

catter

Quote from: scorlew on September 21, 2018, 05:50:44 PM
Quote from: catter on September 08, 2018, 04:04:43 PM

I am ever so slightly above average age for this group.  I'm impressed that anyone here got that reference.
Meh, happens when the attentive young people actually pay attention to what their relatives show them. You could say I'm a young person of about less than voting age in the United States. However, I'm a cat...

Mokaran90

Well here we go,

Hello there, I'm Mokaran90, I'm from an unespecified place in souther Europe and I enjoy indie games made with heart and love. A couple of years back I was digging games like Terraria and Factorio, and by various sources I got suggested Rimworld. I watched with close attention, everyone seemed to have mad fun with it, so I told myself to grab it and see what was all about.

So far, I'm having a blast, but! there are so much things to know! That's why I came here in search of knowledge.

Pleased to meet you all, may your colonies be prosperous and free of dangers.

GL HF.
"I swear to god Oleg, stop insulting your companions and giving debuffs or I'll throw you onto the first megasloth I find"

SystemDC

I had enjoyed Prison Architect for a while and was searching for games similar to it when I stumbled upon Rimworld in the Steam exploration queue thingo. I had heard about it a month earlier, but I wasn't interested. Upon further investigation, it seemed like something I should try. I bought it and was instantly hooked

-What's your favourite other game?
Probably Garry's Mod. I almost have 2000 hours on it.

On my first Rimworld save, I forgot I had to hunt animals and I wondered why my people died. I thought they would do it automatically.

I don't really eat cereal, but probably weet-bix or cornflakes.