Are killboxes mandatory now?

Started by Shurp, June 06, 2017, 10:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 31, 2017, 01:32:27 PM
Mandatory for what ? What is your goal when you play Rimworld ?

It's not explicitly stated but OP language suggests a desire to make it to the late game with some consistency.

The answer is that you can do so, but without using deadfall traps or turrets some of the encounters are IRL time consuming, and whether that micro is worth doing compared to just making a killbox or trap corridor is up to the player.

b0rsuk

And late game is what ?

Mechanoids can be destroyed by Lost Tribe, even in early game. It's probably best to poke the ship as soon as possible so it releases its load early (rather than growing with colony wealth... but it might be determined at the moment the ship falls). Either way you learn what's inside and can plan around it. Early ships tend to have pathetic crews.

Tribals have problems acquiring weapons, but they do well at taming animals. Scythers are surprisingly brittle and easily fall to concentrated blows. Animals act as meat shields and absorb many blows. Centipedes are terrifying in melee, though. You want to deal with them by separating them from scythers. Another thing that helps against scythers is deadfall traps near the ship, or where they will chase you. Hell, I had a centipede destroyed by a single steel deadfall trap! Head: destroyed.

Element4ry

I never was a fan of killboxes as they ruin my immersion in the game. Never had to really use any. Instead I'm defending my colony with roofed sandbag-wall-sandbag lines. Just like here on screen below (though that raid caught me with pants down immediately after dealing with the poison ship). I kept baiting them around, firing here and there. After a while I let them bash some door and enter straight into gunfire.

·–·· ––– ··· · / –·–– ––– ··– ·–· / –– ·· –· –·· / –··–· / · ·– – / –·–– ––– ··– ·–· / –·–· ·–· · ·––

Ironvos

I've been taking a similar approach with the use of bunkers lately for defense.
In the past i used to have more urban defenses where the fight was done inside the village and i kept falling back between the houses.
The bunkers can be a good first line of defense however and both tactics are compatible.
You also have to make use of the cover mechanics and deny the enemy easy cover in case your bunker is overrun.

The extra layer of sandbags makes it more difficult for melee units to overrun you, and it also makes it so that the enemy can only use the sandbags as cover in case you fall back. They don't have any walls to hide behind which would give the highest cover value.
You can place turrets in the gaps between bunkers to deny them easy flanking opportunities.
All this does take quite a bit of resources and building time, so in the beginning i just build a few small U shaped one man bunkers scattered around the perimeter.

A defense like this however won't last forever, once you hit huge colonies and you get attacked by 50+ raiders you might get overrun, still testing things.

Nameless

I use mortars to basically preemptively cause raiders to flee before they even reach my colony.