Alpha 18 release date

Started by Yoshida Keiji, June 11, 2017, 10:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

So... I just started playing Rim World and my first version was A16, so basically, A17 came on to me very soon before I could get a good taste of A16, so Im still playing old version but was wandering how long do I have to play in A16 and get to update to 17 before A18 comes over without almost skipping 17. Is there a timely pattern between version updates?

Sola

It was something like 8 months between A16 and A17.  A17 also didn't change much of the game, in terms of changing the learning curve.  You'll have plenty of time to learn A17 before a new major update comes along.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

dburgdorf

Quote from: Sola on June 11, 2017, 10:42:37 AMIt was something like 8 months between A16 and A17.

It was more like five months, as a16 was released in December, and a17 in May. But still, there should be plenty of time before we'll need to worry about upgrading to a18.  ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

makapse

There will be around 3months ideally before a18 comes and there was nearly no change in the learning curve, like someone said earlier. a17 took so long because it was a primarily bugfix one and also had an open beta for a month, something i dont remember happening before(from a8). You could mostly change to a17 and not notice much difference.

mumblemumble

Tynan typically spaces them out a bit, and doesn't project a schedule. But I suspect this will be a BIGGER update, since this one was smaller.

My guess is 8 or 9 months out from now, possibly with some new neato features.

Course, dont even worry about an exact number : tynans policy on release dates is "when its done".
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Thirite

Quote from: mumblemumble on June 11, 2017, 02:30:18 PM
Tynans policy on release dates is "when its done".
But unlike Valve he actually releases something. Hey-o!

mumblemumble

Valve releases, I just suspect they have gotten so sidetracked with csgo, tf2, l4d1 and 2, portal, and other things that they continue to maintain, that they dont really care about say, halflife 3.

Besides hl3 would never live up to hype, its impossible
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Yoshida Keiji

I read like the first 15 pages of all comments related to A17 in its thread. Most comments besides the quadric world settings spoke about how diseases are hard to cure and how easily pawns lose body parts now, how there are more fail chances when building, so the impression I got is that now everything is harder...unless those are all complains from green players... Then the road and river feature somehow sounded awkward to me, I mean: you can travel faster on previously built roads...but isn't it safer to actually travel off-road? Like Morpheus warned Trinity: never take the highway. Shortest not always the best route? The only positive thing I read is that caravan forming now has improved.

I bought this game during the turn of year so I guess I got it right after A16 release. Thanks for all the replies, guys in here are really good at talking to each other.

A Friend

Quote from: Thirite on June 11, 2017, 03:26:28 PM
But unlike Valve he actually releases something. Hey-o!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

ReZpawner

It's coming on July 18th, and it's the multiplayer patch. It features multiplayer for 16 people either on LAN or over the internet, as well as microtransactions and support for DLC. Once that is out, there will probably be a few weeks of bugfixes, before work starts on the final version of the alpha: Rimworld in full 3D. Tynan has also struck a deal with the people behind My Little Pony, so expect to see ponies in the game in the future.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: ReZpawner on June 13, 2017, 07:34:14 AM
It's coming on July 18th, and it's the multiplayer patch. It features multiplayer for 16 people either on LAN or over the internet, as well as microtransactions and support for DLC. Once that is out, there will probably be a few weeks of bugfixes, before work starts on the final version of the alpha: Rimworld in full 3D. Tynan has also struck a deal with the people behind My Little Pony, so expect to see ponies in the game in the future.

Hmmm... it does actually seem strange to me that despite the 'western' theme of this game, it lacks any horses.  So ponies would prolly be a good idea.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on June 13, 2017, 11:08:56 AM

Hmmm... it does actually seem strange to me that despite the 'western' theme of this game, it lacks any horses.  So ponies would prolly be a good idea.

Colonists play with the horseshoe pin, instead of installing them on... horses...

Listen1

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 21, 2017, 12:40:00 AM
Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on June 13, 2017, 11:08:56 AM

Colonists play with the horseshoe pin, instead of installing them on... horses...

Drank horse milk. It was pleasent. +5 mood.

cultist

Quote from: mumblemumble on June 11, 2017, 03:47:46 PM
Valve releases, I just suspect they have gotten so sidetracked with csgo, tf2, l4d1 and 2, portal, and other things that they continue to maintain, that they dont really care about say, halflife 3.

None of those are developed by Valve though, except for Portal 1+2. And Portal 2 was over 6 years ago. They stopped being a developer a long time ago. Publishers have all the control so I can see why they would rather be in that position. It's just a shame they don't care about developing anything internally, but I wonder how many of the people that made their best games are even employed by them any longer. I can't imagine doing something like Half-Life 2 and then just sit and fiddle with patches and hat designs for the next 10 years.