Absurd traits and dumb limitations

Started by GUTB, June 19, 2017, 11:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Dawg_27

You don't have to recruit or welcome every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes along.  If you don't like a captured pirate, cut off a leg and release him back home.  If a wanderer joins, arrest and release.  If you get an escape pod, always capture rather than rescue.

Bozobub

Quote from: Tynan on June 19, 2017, 11:51:04 PM
I'm adjusting some of the work disable proportions for next update.
That's good news; thanks for the update.
Thanks, belgord!

Limdood

Quote from: Bozobub on June 20, 2017, 12:46:05 AM
Quote from: Tynan on June 19, 2017, 11:51:04 PM
I'm adjusting some of the work disable proportions for next update.
That's good news; thanks for the update.
In alpha 18, each pawn will only be able to do 1 work type, which may or may not be something they like, and the pawn will be incapable of all other work types.

ADJUSTED!

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on June 19, 2017, 11:53:01 PM
I always pretend that the high incidence of mental disorders like pyromania were the side effects of genetic manipulation and breeding. It is hinted at with the go juice description implying that intentional biological manipulation is less controlled in the wide universe.
This is disturbingly plausible... I'm not sure why anyone would gene-engineer humans to make more pyromaniacs, but it could be a side effect. Or mad science!

Mind you, "it could be mad science" is a pretty good catch-all explanation for, well, anything really.

1FSTCAT

Maybe instead of disabling skills all together, they could get mood penalties for doing things they don't want to do?

Limdood

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 20, 2017, 01:25:48 AM
Mind you, "it could be mad science" is a pretty good catch-all explanation for, well, anything really.
The Rimworld equivalent of the fantasy gamers' "A wizard did it"

cultist

Quote from: Limdood on June 20, 2017, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 20, 2017, 01:25:48 AM
The Rimworld equivalent of the fantasy gamers' "A wizard did it"

Owlbear? A wizard did it.
Undead? A lich wizard did it.
Attacked by feral squirrels? Damn squirrel wizards.

Trylobyte

Quote from: cultist on June 20, 2017, 09:48:15 AM
Owlbear? A wizard did it.
Undead? A lich wizard did it.
Attacked by feral squirrels? Damn squirrel wizards.
Squirrel wizards?  Druids, good man!  Always blame the druids when the manhunter bunny swarm land pirahnas attack.

khearn

There is already an interpersonal penalty for "hard worker vs. lazy", there ought to be another for "willing to carry and clean vs. good for nothing git who thinks they're better than everybody else.".

Of course, that would actually just make things harder for us, the players, and wouldn't bother the "no dumb labor" pawns at all.

Shardey

You could also think that the high amount of negative bullshit people is due to..
the local Star Empires sending all their negative bullshit people to Austr.. I mean to the Rimworld.

The Nickman

Quote from: 1FSTCAT on June 20, 2017, 08:29:40 AM
Maybe instead of disabling skills all together, they could get mood penalties for doing things they don't want to do?
That is a really, REALLY good idea, kindof like the opposite of how they gain Joy for certain tasks.

Sure, you can make Owlbear clean, but he's going to flip out pretty quickly if you do!

I like this a lot.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Shardey on June 20, 2017, 08:58:52 PM
You could also think that the high amount of negative bullshit people is due to..
the local Star Empires sending all their negative bullshit people to Austr.. I mean to the Rimworld.

The 'B' Ark, by Douglas Adams

Quote"You mean you've got a hold full of frozen hairdressers?" he said.
"Oh yes," said the Captain, "Millions of them. Hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives, management consultants, you name them. We're going to colonize another planet."

Ford wobbled very slightly. "Exciting isn't it?" said the Captain.

"What, with that lot?" said Arthur.
"Ah, now don't misunderstand me," said the Captain, "we're just one of the ships in the Ark Fleet. We're the 'B' Ark you see.

"And they made sure they sent you lot off first did they?" inquired Arthur.
"Oh yes," said the Captain, "well everyone said, very nicely I thought, that it was very important for morale to feel that they would be arriving on a planet where they could be sure of a good haircut and where the phones were clean."

"Oh yes," agreed Ford, "I can see that would be very important. And the other ships, er ... they followed on after you did they?"

For a moment the Captain did not answer. He twisted round in his bath and gazed backwards over the huge bulk of the ship towards the bright galactic centre. He squinted into the inconceivable distance. "Ah. Well it's funny you should say that," he said and allowed himself a slight frown at Ford Prefect, "because curiously enough we haven't heard a peep out of them since we left five years ago ... but they must be behind us somewhere."

He peered off into the distance again. Ford peered with him and gave a thoughtful frown.

"It's a funny thing you know," said the Captain at last, "but now that I actually come to tell the story to someone else ..."
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

Pawns Are Capable! by RimRue replaces "incapable of" restrictions with a set of traits that provide work speed and/or mood penalties when pawns are stuck doing tasks they don't like.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

b0rsuk

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on June 19, 2017, 11:53:01 PM
I always pretend that the high incidence of mental disorders like pyromania were the side effects of genetic manipulation and breeding. It is hinted at with the go juice description implying that intentional biological manipulation is less controlled in the wide universe.

That's like shooting a barn then painiting a bullseye around the largest cluster of hits.

wimpb

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 21, 2017, 12:42:29 AM

Pawns Are Capable! by RimRue replaces "incapable of" restrictions with a set of traits that provide work speed and/or mood penalties when pawns are stuck doing tasks they don't like.

I think one of the easiest ways to make a soft penalty is to make an opposite of the Interest/Passion for skills. Disinterested/Hating a task gives a mood malus and penalty to learning, the exact opposite of a passionate pawn.