"Straight" male colonist attempted to woo another guy into a relationship.

Started by GreatDookuTree, June 20, 2017, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatDookuTree

I don't remember ever seeing this happen before (started in A16). I thought that they only flirted with the same sex if they had the "Gay" trait.
Is it just extremely rare or something?

Colonist in denial:
http://puu.sh/wpzZQ/35727a0f97.jpg

Colonist that he flirted with:
http://puu.sh/wpA99/d696019c9b.jpg

The social tab:
http://puu.sh/wpAd3/528ee02910.jpg

Edit: I was curious why he dislikes "Molly" and it turns out she rebuffed him. So he's not gay, he's bi? I wasn't even aware that was a thing in Rimworld.

milon

It happens, but it's rare(ish).  IIRC, pawns are considered to be straight unless they have the Gay trait, but that only sets their gender preference.  There are definitely times when they'll pursue someone who isn't of their preferred gender.  I believe that mostly relates to hidden compatibility variables (visible if you turn on Debug Mode).

Bozobub

*shrug*  As prisons show us, keep enough people of one sex together for long enough, without the opportunity to leave, and eventually a relatively large number of them will have sex with each other, no matter what their orientation or attitude was before incarceration.  A dry winkie knows no shame, apparently; seems realistic enough to me ::)...
Thanks, belgord!

quilzas

I think I had a prisoner hitting on a colonist once, or maybe it was a colonist hitting on a prisoner. Interesting, to be sure.

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: milon on June 20, 2017, 02:01:57 PM
It happens, but it's rare(ish).  IIRC, pawns are considered to be straight unless they have the Gay trait, but that only sets their gender preference.  There are definitely times when they'll pursue someone who isn't of their preferred gender.  I believe that mostly relates to hidden compatibility variables (visible if you turn on Debug Mode).

Ah okay I see now, although I'm surprised Mars is almost ignoring Molly who has the "Pretty" trait and focusing on Nobu. But I guess that can be explained by RNG making Molly and Mars slight/insult each other more than normal, causing them to avoid social contact with each other and keeping their "social score" low (Mars has a +9 for Molly but +31 for Nobu, despite 2x "rebuffed" from Nobu).

Quote from: Bozobub on June 20, 2017, 02:20:54 PM
*shrug*  As prisons show us, keep enough people of one sex together for long enough, without the opportunity to leave, and eventually a relatively large number of them will have sex with each other, no matter what their orientation or attitude was before incarceration.  A dry winkie knows no shame, apparently; seems realistic enough to me ::)...

True although he's almost ignoring Molly despite her having the "Pretty" trait, which is surprising. The funny part is that Molly and Nobu are siblings so I'd expect it would be awkward that Mars is shamelessly flirting with both of them.

mumblemumble

It can happen out of sheer sexual frustration, stress, or mental health decline.

Seems realistic, but I would hope this would be more likely when stressed out.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: mumblemumble on June 21, 2017, 12:23:36 AM
It can happen out of sheer sexual frustration, stress, or mental health decline.

Surprisingly Mars hasn't had a mental break even once despite his constant failed romances, he's always in a really good mood so maybe stress levels don't factor in? What makes it strange is that I've now gained a second female colonist but he's still focusing exclusively on Nobu, even though Mars now gets along with everyone more or less equally so it's not that he dislikes everyone else.

I guess those hidden variables Milon mentioned can be strong enough to actually make them "prefer" a non-preferred gender over and over, even if their target lacks any interest whatsoever. I wonder if Nobu has the same chance to be "wooed" successfully as a female colonist would, or if there's a (steep) penalty to it.

Edit: Okay so he's currently (failing) to start a romance with every member of the colony, male OR female, so I guess he's just ridiculously desperate. This is like watching Home and Away or something like that, I wonder who is gonna finally give in.

b0rsuk

Rimworld could flesh this out by implementing prison rape. Crowded prisons would make prisoners mad, fights and resentments break out. Non-sadistic players, of which there are a few, could remedy this by building better prisons with more privacy. Beneficial for balance, realistic, extra media coverage.

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 21, 2017, 02:45:51 AM

Rimworld could flesh this out by implementing prison rape.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

cultist

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 21, 2017, 02:45:51 AM
Rimworld could flesh this out by implementing prison rape.

Back with the ol' "any publicity is good publicity" argument, eh?

GreatDookuTree

Update: Mars (Colonist in question) apparently has a wife from an Outlander faction. Safe to say it's not exactly a happy marriage considering what's going on in this colony.

Ramsis

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

The Nickman

So ummm, yeah... how about that Rimworld game??  I hear it's pretty good

mumblemumble

Just rename this to the most off topic thread on ludeon ever lol.

B0rsuk, it has its flaws, but what alternatives are there that WORK? Lashings, corporal punishment, and other things work but also leave terrible damage. Maybe we should try corporal punishment again in law? would free up prisons, and be more effective...

On topic, I think it is a bit odd for this to happen in game. I almost want to advocate for a "kinsey scale" approach to things, except this would anger people also, if not moreso. I do think that instead, MAYBE it should be adjusted so males do not approach gay males if straight : I know in the subject of "incidental homosexuality", outside prisons (this honestly isn't incidental, its sadism and true homosexuality imo) its generally from a sexually frustrated male being asked : thats the common story, a man with blue balls with a gay dude, tranny, trap, or something similar offering head, and the guy saying to himself "close enough". I think most straight men wouldn't actively persue a gay man unless the gay man shown interest first, especially with the deep stigma behind homosexuality.

Quotefinally gender equality
Only in rimworld...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBIK8CzCYo

Go ahead and temp ban me if it makes it better ramsis : I admit this off topic train was ridiculous, if still hilarious to watch you react to  ;)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

b0rsuk