modding in linux

Started by gratua, July 16, 2017, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gratua

are there modders out there who use a Linux OS? I've only just begun to dabble in the world of mods, and I'm encountering some difficulties. I'm trying to follow guides, particularly jecrell's guide(https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33219.0). But I can't get any options to work to de/recompile .dlls. Also, a pointer about which programs to try to do C# would be nice but not necessary. thanks =]

Spdskatr

Here, have a look at this post: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21877.0

That's all I could find tho
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

lperkins2

I do.  It was a bit of a pain to set up, the other forum thread, and blog post it references is, are not the way to go about it.  There are two basic ways to do it that seem to actually work. 

First is debootstrap and chroot, if you don't want to fiddle, and don't mind the disk space debootstrap uses, set up a debian stable chroot and grab the old mono and monodevelop packages.  Of course, eventually even debian stable won't have those available anymore.  Plus doing your development inside a chroot is a bit of a pain.

The second way is to install the latest greatest version of mono and monodevelop.  Of course, you can't get it to compile mods happily, and even if you force it to, the mods can't be loaded by rimworld.  The reason is that you can't set the target level to 3.5, because mono no longer supports 3.5.  There is a solution, at least on most distributions: the dotnet reference assemblies.  They are stubs for the dotnet3.5 system libraries, sorta like c++ header files, they don't actually contain any program logic, but they are enough for mcs to compile stuff.  dev-dotnet/referenceassemblies-pcl is the package name on gentoo (in the dotnet overlay), but obviously the name will be slightly different based on distro.

Once they are installed, you should be able to tell monodevelop to target dotnet3.5 and things should just work.  Jetbrains rider is another option, you can get a free 30 day trial with it, and it seems to work okay, but it is about as bad as monodevelop.  Mostly I use mcs directly and GNU make. 

notfood

Find mono 3.12.1 for your distribution or compile it yourself.