[B18][Mod Updater] ModSync Ninja

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 06:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faltonico

@MarvinKosh
Having a site for your mods doesn't prevent your users from having to go there regularly to check for new updates, not having to do that is the whole point of this mod, and the convenience of it in your case is that you still wouldn't have to rely on the forums to tell everyone that your mod just updated.
There are no direct downloads from the mod so people would still need to go to your site to get the files.

The only drawback i see form the mod is that modders would have to do an additional maintenance task of updating it in the service. And seriously, if you don't want to do that i would understand completely, you are already giving users your work for free, asking for more would be inconsiderate, but if you do update would be absolutely marvelous!.

Thirite

Hey, I've been interested in seeing an auto-updater mod for a while. But some modders including myself are concerned about the design choices regarding its function. Would you be interested in joining the rimworld discord server here to discuss it?
https://discordapp.com/invite/UTaMDWc
(specifically in the rimworld-modding channel)

historic_os

im already there, but not a big discord user, just mention me @historic there

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: faltonico on July 16, 2017, 07:13:07 PM
@MarvinKosh
Having a site for your mods doesn't prevent your users from having to go there regularly to check for new updates, not having to do that is the whole point of this mod, and the convenience of it in your case is that you still wouldn't have to rely on the forums to tell everyone that your mod just updated.

If you want to submit a mod (on the ModSync Ninja site) then you have to submit a link to a forum post. Now, if it can be any webpage which follows the same instructions, then that would be great, but it doesn't say that non-forum mod posts will work or will be supported in the future or whether it's a complete no-go for whatever reason.

faltonico

Quote from: MarvinKosh on July 16, 2017, 08:00:41 PM
Quote from: faltonico on July 16, 2017, 07:13:07 PM
@MarvinKosh

If you want to submit a mod (on the ModSync Ninja site) then you have to submit a link to a forum post. Now, if it can be any webpage which follows the same instructions, then that would be great, but it doesn't say that non-forum mod posts will work or will be supported in the future or whether it's a complete no-go for whatever reason.
I just noticed that, there is a step required for you to verify the ownership by modifying the forum post.
I guess it would be a no go for you unless there another method for that verification.

Edit: How rude of me, i haven't said thank you for making this mod Historic_os and Jas xD
Thank you!!

historic_os

@MarvinKosh,
Your case of having a website for your mods is not very common among the modder community here and in all honesty - wasn't something i had in mind while designing the verification process.
It's limited to ludeon forum posts for security reasons. im open for both feedback and suggestions, and if anyone has an idea for a more flexible verification method im all ears.

I'm sure you, personally, have no bad intentions but you can't discard possible outcomes.
Say for example, anyone can verify using any website. Someone could impersonate as a modder representing a mod and have users redirected to an irrelevant website, or even worse - get people to download a virus.
I'm not asking modders to register so i couldn't track someone responsible for such act because registering to websites is annoying and simply not required for this specific case of updating a mod.

Having ludeon's forum as a common ground and a widely accepted trusted source for mods was just the obvious solution.

Thirite

Quote from: historic_os on July 16, 2017, 07:59:18 PM
im already there, but not a big discord user, just mention me @historic there
I don't see any results for @historic... I think you might be in the closed-off modding discord. The one I linked is the public one.

System.Linq

RemingtonRyder

@historic_os Thing is, Ludeon forums may be a trusted mod source, but it isn't an ideal way to distribute mods. If someone clicks the link in my sig, they can go down the list of my A17 mods clicking everything they want, boom, all mods downloaded. Total footprint is one shortcode.

On the forums here, that same ease of downloading requires a fistful of bbcode entered by hand. Which is a waste of time. I'd rather be actually modding RimWorld or fixing something that I broke than constantly re-editing a post which hardly anyone looks at anyway. A lot of people probably get a direct download of one of my mods after looking at the Steam Workshop page for it.

Which, to answer Linq, Steam Workshop is flaky enough of the time that it's easier to go find the direct download version and use that, than wait for the Steam client to finally finish the download. I kid you not. :/

faltonico

@Historic_os
Perhaps modifying the workshop post could be used for the verification step as an alternative to the forums?

Sixdd

Is anyone else having trouble getting on the site?

historic_os

It's a false positive, it was being blocked because of the mod file in the downloads containing the mod DLL
I've submitted for a review and it should be fixed soon.

EDIT: The false positive issue has been resolved with ESET support and the NOD anti-virus should not mark the website unsafe anymore.
Regarding google's "Uncommon download" warning, its still under review and should be resolved once they finish reviewing it
EDIT 2: The false positive issue with google safe browsing has been resolved as well. if you still see a warning, please allow a few hours for it to update.

Sixdd

I can confirm that the system works perfectly, I've already updated four mods to use it and everything works grand.

historic_os

Quote from: Sixdd on July 18, 2017, 07:16:05 AM
I can confirm that the system works perfectly, I've already updated four mods to use it and everything works grand.
epic!

based on the feedback i received from modders on discord, many seem to be using github.
im currently working on an easier update for github mods.
we will be watching for commits on the ModSync.xml so that if you use github and provide us with the repo link you will be able to skip the update part on the site at your end.

this is in the works as we speak, ill be updating once its ready.