[A17] Animal Armour Mod v1.1 (19/07/2017)

Started by XeoNovaDan, July 17, 2017, 08:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

@Rambo
Just tried reproducing this in my test map, it seems I may have made another oversight somewhere; I spawned in a husky, there isn't a recipe to install makeshift armour when I put makeshift armour on the map. However, when I place standard armour, there's a recipe for both standard and makeshift. I must've made a mistake somewhere in the RecipeDefs.

Thanks for pointing this out, and I'll get to it straight away :)

Edited (again): Yup. Quite a major oversight actually. Will address this in v1.1 soon-ish. I'll also look into body part removal, so this could take a little while.

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v1.1! (19/07/2017)

Changes:
- Animal armour is now removable.
- New item 'animal armour remover' required to remove armour from an animal
- There's now one hediff for each size of each armour type; armoured animals on existing saves should have the 'medium' size hediffs.

A bit of a story actually: It was somewhat of an ordeal to get armour removal working at all. I tried basing a recipeDef off of the Recipe_RemoveHediff class (same class that 'excise carcinoma' uses), but part of that class is actually hardcoded to require medicine. Instead of making armour removal require medicine, I had to instead ultimately go down adding a new item to remove armour. Credit goes to Canute for the item suggestion, and rambo for the original suggestion.

Swat_Raptor

Now I might actually care about raising animals again.

I can let my armored tortoises roam free knowing that if a warg starts attacking, it will take them a long time for them to do a considerable amount of dmg, now I can send hunters out without fear because hungry predators will probably target the smaller armored animal.

Spino

Very cool mod! From what I've seen, making a compatibility patch for Animal Armour shouldn't be too hard either, unless I'm horribly wrong and just haven't realised it yet.

XeoNovaDan

@Spino Patch making should be very straightforward. The single patch XML has size guidelines too.

Canute

I am not a big fan of compatibility patch and i notice the armor currently don't work for other then vanila animals.

But can't you do it like Anglewyrm did at the Mines mod, scan for all animals on game start and made auto. patches for them ?

XeoNovaDan

@Canute I barely know basic C#, let alone enough to do something like that. Unless there's a way to do it with XML, maybe PatchOperationSequence w/ Test?

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Celestial

Whenever the animal armour remove appears in the scenario editor, it is -214........ some reason there's an integer overflow. I'm thinking if it's because of the market value 0. I changed it to 1 and I've gotten proper numbers. I'm not sure what would happen If i started a game with the negatives, never tried

Spino

Just wanted to say that you were right, making a patch for AA was really easy - did one today for my animal mod!
Solid job on this one, man!

XeoNovaDan

Thank you! I'll be sure to add a list of mods that have been patched to work with this.

May the march of the armoured megabeasts begin!

Bonesmasha

I'm getting the message in the context menu that my level is too low, even though my doctor is level 20. It only happens with medium armor and above, I can install tiny and small armor on animals below 0.8 size.

Any suggestions ?

XeoNovaDan

How good is your doctor's handling skill? If he can manage small armour, he must be a 4 or 5. Animal armour installation is based on animal skill level, not medicine.

Bonesmasha

So it's based on the handling skill. Gotcha' . The issue was that I have the Quality Doctor mod which forces any operations to be done by the most skilled doctor, so I couldn't force my animal handler to do it, I had to get the work priorities of everybody out from the work tab and only leave my animal handler for it. Not a big deal.

Great mod btw. I think animals should be more exploited, I'm planning on doing full armored bionic squirrel army with scyther blades installed on their tails :D.

Thanks for the response !

XeoNovaDan

@Bonesmasha No problem! Be sure to install the armour first because of how torso replacing works. If you did bionics then armour, you'd lose the bionics.