Tribal Survival Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, July 25, 2017, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhadamant

The ship usually shows within the first few weeks. It shouldn't take long for the AI to contact you. I agree, however. If you can set the planet killer event, you should be able to schedule the AI event.

Names are for the Weak

I'm going to attempt this, wish me luck!

Names are for the Weak

Two unfortunate exiled tribesmen, after weeks of wandering the treacherous lands of their homeworld, finally found a suitable place to call home, a temperate forest at the foot of a mountain. Banished from their tribe for forbidden love, their names were Mole and Dog. Mole spent her childhood exploring the caves near her home village for various resources, which is how she earned her name. As an adult, she became the village weaver, creating beautiful tapestries, clothing, and toys that made her popular with her fellow tribe. Dog was a child born to another village, which was destroyed by a rival faction in a raid. Being one of the few survivors, he vowed to avenge his dead friends and family, and spent his childhood leading one-man guerilla attack in his quest for revenge. Over years of attrition, he finally managed to kill every last person in the raiding village, finally quenching his thirst for vengeance. Upon hearing about his deeds, another tribe invited him into their numbers, sensing his potential to be a great warrior. They nicknamed him Dog, in reference to his incredible loyalty for his old home. He wrote down the stories of his childhood tribe, the tales of his revenge raids, and of course, the history of his new home. He became revered for his storytelling abilities, and was fully accepted as one of their own.

However, both of them were banished for violating an age-old rule in the tribe - outsiders could not marry those born into them. Natural members had to procreate with other natural members, and outsiders had to procreate with other outsiders. However, both Mole and Dog secretly held this rule in contempt, and were attracted to the intelligence of the other. One day, news of their affair went loose in the village, and they were expelled in short order.

The first thing that the tragic lovers did once agreeing to settle at this mountain was to start digging a small cave to sleep in. Mole had forgotten many of her methods of navigating the caves from her childhood, and thus had to start digging a hole to reside in. Meanwhile, Dog started planting a plot of potatoes, as a farm would be extremely useful later. He also started to harvest some of the wild berries in the area to at. In between mining and dazing out of hunger, Mole crafted a small bow for Dog to hunt with. Unfortunately, since they had no butcher table, they would be forced to eat the animals Dog brought back raw. She also made a steel club for him as a sidearm.

After mining a proto-bedroom for the two of them, Mole mined out a production area for when they had the time and resources to start manufacturing things properly. She also made a research bench, which Dog immediately used to start studying the art of stonecutting. Before he got far, though, the rats and other small game he had been eating raw over the past several days got to him, and he flew into a beserk rage. Terrified, Mole ran away, not wanting to confront him out of fear of killing him. She waited for hours before he finally collapsed out of exhaustion. He seemed to be in much better form once he woke up, but she wasn't. Shortly after Dog overcame his murderous impulses, Mole experienced some herself. But instead of running away to wait it out, Dog equipped his club, planning on knocking her out. He ran over to fight her, and she looked at him with murder in her eyes. But before either of them could do much harm to each other, the entire world went black. Actually, it was more dark grey. But that wasn't the important part. Both of them froze, seeing nothing, experiencing nothing, with only their thoughts in a senseless void. They would remain in that state for the rest of eternity, stuck in the agony of sensory depravation, their minds slowly wasting away into total insanity.

TL;DR, My game glitched out and stopped working.

mebe

Quote from: Rhadamant on July 27, 2017, 11:13:39 AM
Hey The Nickman, this challenge should be a bit easier than Ice Sheet I think. Good luck!

Not totally sure of that, those sapper raids have been pretty punishing, 2*grenade + 1 molotov in the last one vs. 3 great bows and a pacifist. Not pretty. It's made me remember that tribals need a little love (IMO).

All of my 3 fighters have managed to pick up burn scars on their eyes from a player error induced stockpile fire - think I will have to restart. I notice there is no permadeath on this one - intentional?

Wanderer_joins

Sappers are the worst in this challenge.

Another thing this challenge puts light on is the very short tech tree of tribespeople. As soon as my guys have modern cloths i no longer feel like tribal and on the other hand there is no basic armor or helmet for tribespeople to research, or heat insulating cloths.

Like the fueled cooking stove, it doesn't feel primitive enough.

Boston

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on July 29, 2017, 03:04:40 PM
Sappers are the worst in this challenge.

Another thing this challenge puts light on is the very short tech tree of tribespeople. As soon as my guys have modern cloths i no longer feel like tribal and on the other hand there is no basic armor or helmet for tribespeople to research, or heat insulating cloths.

Like the fueled cooking stove, it doesn't feel primitive enough.

1) Even Neolithic peoples knew how to weave cloth and manufacture all the clothing labelled "complex' in-game.  Jackets, pants, shirts, all have been around for at least 10,000 years.

2) Are you saying a wood-fueled stove isn't primitive?

Part of the issue, not just with this challenge in particular, but the whole 'tribal' system in general, is that not having modern technology and equipment doesn't mean one is lesser.

I've cooked a three-course meal using little other than a Dutch Oven suspended on a stick over a fire, a flat rock heated in said fire, and the embers from said fire, which would basically be the in-game campfire. In-game, you need a stove in order to do that. I've carved a longbow using little more than an axe and a knife, yet in-game you need a smithy to do that. I've sewn a jacket on my lap, using nothing more than a needle and thread, yet in-game you need a tailor station to do that.

Wanderer_joins

I'm saying the wood-fueled stove doesn't look primitive, and dusters/ cowboy hats don't look neolithic.

Boston

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on July 29, 2017, 04:14:54 PM
I'm saying the wood-fueled stove doesn't look primitive, and dusters/ cowboy hats don't look neolithic.

Why does it have to look primitive?

Of course, I don't disagree, but I just want to pose the question.

Ynemo

Hey, i really like the map on which u start this challange. And rules are really cool, at last gonna try club made from jade )
So can i expand my community convincing prisoners to join it?

Dargaron

Progress update (such as it is):

First attempt: Most successful. Started in Boreal Forest/Large Hills. Managed to survive for a couple years in my standard base (modified because I don't need room for, like, all the workbenches). Managed to stockpile 1k silver, 2k Pemmican, and made a mad dash southward, buying Pemmican along the way to boost my range. I made it to the southern edge of the tropical region, settled in a Rainforest/Mountainous tile, and promptly died of plague. Herbal medicine, why must you fail me?!

Second Attempt: Started in Boreal Forest/Mountainous, built a rectangular base with stone outer walls and wooden interior. Neglected weapons tech, and got killed by a three-man pirate raid because clubs and shortbows don't cut it.

Third attempt: Like a nub, I didn't notice that both my starting pawns were incapable of doctoring. *Facepalm.* Died to rat-induced infections. Remember kids, pay attention during character generation, or pay with your life later!

Naia

Ohh noo, please stop this Rhadamant !

I'm still waking up from panic attacks at 3 am in the morning. Whit nightmares that Engie just had a Zzzt event and now the heaters are shutting down.

I'm surely going to regret it, but will give this challenge a try nevertheless. Will of cause be playing with the save provided and the rules specified.

Dargaron

Whew, finally made it* with the fourth attempt.

Spawned in Tundra/Large Hills in the southern hemisphere (was worried I wouldn't have enough wood, but that panned out). The ship spawned remarkably close...except there was a range of Impassable Mountains separating me from it, which meant I had to go the LONG way around. The travel planner estimated a trip of 120 days.

I didn't take pictures of my first two bases, but I made a mad dash North (into Arid Shrubland), then cut East, each time building just enough shelter to be comfortable and start stockpiling all the Pemmican for another thirty-day trek.

The third base was an experiment based on my usual design: since I didn't need much of a workshop, I made the whole thing one long corridor, with living space, work space and storage lined up one after another.

This is the base as I left it: fully furnished and with a bit of food in the pantry, since I couldn't carry both that and my silver (turns out, I should've just left the silver, since no one had any Pemmican/Survival Meals to buy!).

The final base was a sleeker version of the previous one: since I didn't need a research bench, I shrunk the workspace to the bare minimum (Smithy/Tailoring Bench, Butchering Table/Stove) and extended the storage. I abandoned that one at the start of winter (it actually SNOWED in Arid Shrubland! Imagine that!) since the ship was in tundra, and by the time I arrived, it would be midsummer.

I noticed too late that the base makes it look like my colonists are living inside Optimus Prime.

I like to imagine that other tribals eventually found these bases: abandoned with signs of a struggle, but no evidence of a successful break in. They'll ask themselves, "Who built this place? Who abandoned their walls and workshops, their storerooms and stockpiles? Who was here, and what drove them to leave?" And the answer will be: a hypercompetant lady named Purple (seriously, her name should've been Kim Possible, because she could do anything except research and animal handling) and her husband Tiger (who spent most of four years hauling, growing, and making stone blocks).

*Admittedly, I was two difficulty settings too low. Now to try on Extreeeeme!

Off-topic: Is there a way to put these images in spoiler tabs? IIRC, that's usually the polite thing to do, but there's no spoiler button.

mebe

Have a stable and well protected base in roughly the same spot as Rhadamant's and am working really hard to keep the wealth down but the game keeps throwing me curved balls - 4 scythers and a flame 'pede are not fun with bows (so hard to make them attack). Last raid was 14 all armed with decent ranged guns.

I seem to be losing body parts quicker than gaining new recruits (we're up to 4 and 3 tame muffalos). Decision seems to be how long to stay here before moving on.

Kind of feel this scenario with no guns/technology leaves the tribe feeling pretty defenseless against most raids - just hide behind the traps and hope they rush them.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: mebe on August 08, 2017, 03:30:35 AM
Decision seems to be how long to stay here before moving on.

I'm seven years in , still on the starting map.

Going to the ship is relatively easy, i've not really a good location for the AI ship, but within two seasons you can go around the Rim, set an outpost, then within two seasons you can cross boral forest/ tundra/ icesheet to reach the ship.
The hard part of the challenge is setting a base able to withstand end game raids.

mebe

I am 156 days in and there are five of us now (plus 4.5 muffalo), the raids and events are getting increasingly large despite me burning everything that burns and leaving everything else out to rot.

Winter is just setting in and people are getting bored, think i will use it to refresh the pemmican and head off in the spring for a new base.