Tribal Survival Community Challenge

Started by Rhadamant, July 25, 2017, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mebe

Hmm well the best laid plans and all that.... failed badly on a sapper raid and lost a colonist and one of the remaining ones lost and eye so we are down to 3 suitable for fighting, although one of those has lost a foot and another has lost a leg.

So we decided to stay, purge the base of anything valuable and hope to recruit someone before leaving.

On the plus side I've binned pemmican altogether - it adds too much value to the colony. I have a small number of simple meals cooked each day and the rest goes into survival meals which don't seem to add wealth nearly as much (309 and counting).

Naia

Completed the challenge. I was my first time ever using the caravan feature. For me this game have always been about settling somewhere, build the best base possible and then work with the map and resources you got. The whole idea of moving somewhere else, have never appealed to me.
So doing a challenge like this, where you are "forced" to play differently and figuring things out as you go along, is fun.
The ship was spawned halfway around the globe, so it was a very long journey.

My first base as it looked shortly before leaving. Looks quite identical to what others have posted already. ( missing on screen is 4 Muffaloes grazing East )

I got a good start, whit Newton and Seanna falling in love ( again ), so that gave a good mood boost early on.

After a  few seasons Rusty joined, he was being chased by pirates. While he did have both dumb and skilled labour disabled, he had passion for research, animal handling and could shoot well. So he filled those gaps nicely.

After many raids, we finally managed to capture and get Brooks to join. She spent her youth as a coma child, so naturally never had much of an education. But she was healthy and could do anything, and my hope was that she and Rusty could fall in love ( since Rusty was in poor mood most of the time, after being rejected by Seanna over and over )

I was hoping to get a few more colonists, but as it usually goes, all the good ones ended up dead and only the addicts whit bad back survived.

I took my time to prepare everyone whit a full set of devilstrand clothing and great bows. It also took a few years before a Muffalo herd finally entered the map.
All in all, we spent 3 years on the first map getting ready. Left with 4 colonists and 4 Muffalo.

Second base as it looked shortly before leaving.

Since it was my first experience whit caravans, some mistakes was made. Turns out that all the haygrass, that was brought along for feeding the Muffaloes was of no use. Travelling speed was also very slow, I'm suspecting that the beer, smokeleaf and having pregnant Muffaloes all contributed to reduce speed.
So the first journey only lasted about 8 days, then I had to settle again. It was a temperate forest biome.
Base layout was smaller. There was plenty of wildlife to hunt and some good growing zones. All focus was on getting more food prepared. The haygrass brought from the first colony was made into kibble ( another mistake it turns out ) But at least it gave some cooking skill.

Senra and Seara joined the colony. They we're both part of a large tribal raid. The raiders failed and had to flee, leaving behind two bruised and downed tribe members. After good medical care and many stories told by Rusty, they both agreed to join.

Senra was a real housewife type, so she happily spent most of her days farming and cooking, often together with Newton.
Seara was more of an all rounder. Not particularly interested in anything specific, but he was good at running around making sure everything worked, or bringing stuff to where it was needed.

Enough devil strand had been brought from the first colony, that  both could get a full set of clothing made by Newton. He also made some warm Muffalo parkas, in chase they would be needed later on the journey.

Rusty tamed two grizzly bears and trained them to defend him.

This colony saw a relativity low number of raids, ( most events was manhunters )   
But the raid that came was powerful. A large tribal one, a pirate raid with sappers and a mechanoid ambush. Things could have ended here, but luck was on our side.

We spent a year, almost to the date on this map, preparing for the next part. Left with 6 colonist, 5 Muffaloes and 2 grizzly bears.

The next part of the journey started off very slowly. Everyone was healthy and food supplies for more than 40 days, but the first part was travelling off road trough forest biomes. That part took about 2 weeks.
Luckily we only met a few friendly caravans. We did accidentally walk into some nesting Cassowary, that we had to fight, and later we got caugth by some mad Cows stampeding, but some quick bandages and we could resume travels.

Then we hit a road network. First a dirt road and later ancient asphalt. Suddenly it felt like we were racing across the map.
We passed near many villages, and had encounters whit the people living there. Mostly more friendly caravans, but also a few hostile encounters whit tribe people and pirates. The Grizzly bears turned out to be really helpful for this part. Rushing forward, they took most of the incoming fire.
They did get pretty beat up each time, but Seanna did her best to patch them up afterwards.

After nearly 40 days on the road, we was getting close to the ship. It was decided to make one last stop to re supply the dwindling food stock before moving on.
This however nearly ended the challenge.

Third base, shortly before leaving.

The supposed target biome was a Temperate forest, but somehow we settled in a desert biome
( not sure what happened, perhaps I settled before moving properly into the forest zone )
What's worse, it was middle of the winter.

So what should have been a quick pit stop, turned into several months of tough survival and proper base building.

The biggest problem was the lack of food. There was no growing and only a few creatures to hunt.
The Muffaloes and a bear cub born during travel, had to be slaughtered to get trough the winter.
But with little else left to do, time was spent on making bricks for sturdy walls and mining steel for traps.

After many months the snow finally cleared, and crops could be planted. Only the two grown Grizzly bears was left, and since they had been so good for defence so far, I did want to keep them alive.
The ship was only a few days travel away, so a few stacks of simple meals and pemmican would have to do.

Left the map whit 6 colonists and 2 Grizzly bears. Arrived uneventful at the ship and everyone is now sleeping peacefully in their crypto sleep caskets among the stars.

The End.

mebe

My experiences are not at all like Rhadamants!

We held out as long as we could in base one, the raids got ever more difficult and the feeling it was all going to collapse soon grew, we waited for an extra year beyond when we had intended to leave, it gave us a new crop of Devilstrand and success at finally recruiting someone, Crab. He was only ok but we needed an extra shooter with two good eyes. Base one was pretty impregnable (other than sappers) but we ended up leaving it in a hurry:

So we had this huge amount of survival meals at this point and set out with high hopes only to realise what a long way it was, 72.6 days! OK maybe the meals wont last, we may need to top things up along the way:
Base 2:

Base 3:

Base 4:

Lot of bases, a lot of luck. On base 3 we were attacked by a big band of pirates podding in right on us, two in the base the others outside. Fortunately the poison ship we'd been wondering how to deal with was in range of the front door - problem solved, sword unit meet mechs.

On base 4 we decided to settle and instantly (as soon as we settled) were attacked by pirates, fortunately they hung around preparing a bit and with the help of go juice we slung up some pillars and sandbags and with the help of some last ditch animals we saw them off.

Seanna and Newton got together, lived happily for a while and then split up, Newton was happy but Seanna was pissed. They seemed to be ok with each other toward the end but never got back together.

So, in our travels we were ambushed by manhunters 4 times, the boomrats caused us the most problems, the cats the least, bucks not so much. We must have _really_ pissed off the Sword Unit pirates as they also decided to ambush us 4 times, once demanding we give them ransom to let us on our way.

Eventually we got here:

Special thanks go to Polar Bear 1 and Polar Bear 2, we had to abandon Polar Bear 1 after he lost some limbs but there is no way we would have made it without them.

Days passed since your arrival: 447

BlueWinds

Just failed my first attempt. Blame lays in the hands of my greed, a pack of helpful outlanders, and an unlucky thrumbo.

Everything was going just fine, but since there's an Ancient Danger on the map, friendlies kept arriving (due to the A17b bug). And then a thrumbo showed up. And, I silly thing that I am, was like "hey, we may be two tribals with shortbows, but I've got a dozen well armed outlanders here... we can take it!" Indeed we could. Half of the outlanders died, but the majestic beast lay dead at our uninjured feet. We danced. We butchered it. We turned it into pemmican. It was delicious. We got +15 relationship for rescuing one of the outlanders it had downed.

Then... the raids. We beat off the next raid, five pirates armed with shotguns, assault rifles and SMGs. It was tough, but we did it, gaining another colonist in the process. Then the next raid. Six pirates, again heavily armed. We beat them off with our shortbows. It was close, and two of the three of us went down, but we won.

Desperately attempting to finish Smithing research so we could upgrade to greatbows, the next raid doomed us. Two sniper rifles, two survival rifles and a machine gun. Ouch. Our shortbows were no match."Was Casandra Extreme always this brutal?" I asked myself.

Then, I realized what had happened, and opened the colony wealth display. The Thrumbo horn and fur composed roughly 3/4s of the total value of our colony. You could see the unfortunate day we hauled in its horn and butchered it there, clear as day.

Greed. Outlanders. Thrumbo. #ColonistLife

b0rsuk

So the only way to get extra colonists is from ancient danger rooms. Should take a few tries and some luck.
Is taking scyther blades considered corpse looting ? It would be cool to have worker ants and warrior ants.

Dargaron

mebe

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 27, 2017, 04:15:06 AM
So the only way to get extra colonists is from ancient danger rooms. Should take a few tries and some luck.

Ahh I didn't think about that! hung around for a whole extra year to get a new recruit.