[1.1] Real Fog of War (v1.8.0) - The Unknown

Started by Luka Kama, July 29, 2017, 12:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werty112

Can you increase view range while standing on watch tower to 50? Paying 200 stuff for increased view by 5 or so is pretty lame.
That moment when you get oneshotted from first shot by first raider that had 0.2% acc

waccooo

i encountered a bug with caravan encounters where npc pawns will appear completely invisible and cant be selected or manipulated with dev tools.

Comrade Smartass

So after hours of playing with this mod, I'm running into game-breaking errors.  At first, I was simply having problems with walls not showing on newly spawned maps and strips of unrevealed ground within plain sight of my pawns.  I fixed these by briefly spawning in new pawns (which revealed the patches of land and walls), then destroying them using the dev menu. 

However, I recently started having bugs where enemy pawns and loot on newly spawned maps such as those for enemy outposts wouldn't be visible (although my pawns would still fire at them) unless I used my spawned pawn trick (and even then, once the new pawn was out of sight or despawned, the pawns would disappear again.)

In addition to this, I'm now getting hundreds of errors per second, causing so much lag the game is completely unplayable.  I can't confirm that these errors are all related to this mod (as it crashes when I try to load my save without it), but they started when I came into contact with these pawns (or simply got bad enough for me to notice as some of my older pawns names are in the log.)

I've included a link to my output log below (too large to attach here).  Please note that all 30Mb of the file constitute less than 1 second of error logs.
https://goo.gl/aakBpt

Luka Kama

Quote from: Comrade Smartass on September 28, 2017, 02:29:25 AM
So after hours of playing with this mod, I'm running into game-breaking errors.  At first, I was simply having problems with walls not showing on newly spawned maps and strips of unrevealed ground within plain sight of my pawns.  I fixed these by briefly spawning in new pawns (which revealed the patches of land and walls), then destroying them using the dev menu. 

However, I recently started having bugs where enemy pawns and loot on newly spawned maps such as those for enemy outposts wouldn't be visible (although my pawns would still fire at them) unless I used my spawned pawn trick (and even then, once the new pawn was out of sight or despawned, the pawns would disappear again.)

In addition to this, I'm now getting hundreds of errors per second, causing so much lag the game is completely unplayable.  I can't confirm that these errors are all related to this mod (as it crashes when I try to load my save without it), but they started when I came into contact with these pawns (or simply got bad enough for me to notice as some of my older pawns names are in the log.)

I've included a link to my output log below (too large to attach here).  Please note that all 30Mb of the file constitute less than 1 second of error logs.
https://goo.gl/aakBpt

I took a quick look at the log, and as far I can tell there should be some incompatibility with one (or more) of the other mods that you are using. Also, I can finally see the "Caravan" problem that I was never able to reproduce using the mod alone.

Can you please share also the savefile? I need it to debug the code, as the problem seems to be complex and the source can't be tracked from the log alone.

Comrade Smartass

Ah, okay.  If you have any idea what the incompatibility is (or figure it out from debugging), please let me know.

Caravan problem?  If you mean having caravans freeze or members disappear when entering a settlement, then yeah, I'm having that as well.

Sure, here's a link to last three saves.  Fallen Skies is from before it became unplayable, Fallen Skies Attack is from when the problems I was having intensified, and Fallen Skies Caravan is from just before I started getting too many errors to play. 
https://goo.gl/eoGXNZ

Luka Kama

Quote from: Comrade Smartass on September 28, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
Ah, okay.  If you have any idea what the incompatibility is (or figure it out from debugging), please let me know.

Caravan problem?  If you mean having caravans freeze or members disappear when entering a settlement, then yeah, I'm having that as well.

Sure, here's a link to last three saves.  Fallen Skies is from before it became unplayable, Fallen Skies Attack is from when the problems I was having intensified, and Fallen Skies Caravan is from just before I started getting too many errors to play. 
https://goo.gl/eoGXNZ

Well... the game won't start in debug mode with all the mods you are using, and also I wasn't able to retrieve every mod.

So, I made a special version of the mod with more verbose logging. Lets see if it helps to identify the cause of your problems.

You can download the verbose version here: https://goo.gl/eEjhms

Uninstall the previous one and install the new one manually. Then start a game and send to me the new log.

openyourmind

Now if we could have hearing be used in this mod with sound levels depending on factors and shown as some sort of red indicator or shadow if in unseen area. for example, walking on soft surface like carpet is barely heard, dirt is louder, water, gravel and snow are probably half the eye sight, when pawns communicate they produce sound, gunfire is heard across the whole map

samtactician

Quote from: Comrade Smartass on September 28, 2017, 02:29:25 AMAt first, I was simply having problems with walls not showing on newly spawned maps and strips of unrevealed ground within plain sight of my pawns.
I had that problem too, i deleted mapreroll mod and it fixed that thing for me.

killermen962

Quote from: openyourmind on October 05, 2017, 12:25:30 PM
Now if we could have hearing be used in this mod with sound levels depending on factors and shown as some sort of red indicator or shadow if in unseen area. for example, walking on soft surface like carpet is barely heard, dirt is louder, water, gravel and snow are probably half the eye sight, when pawns communicate they produce sound, gunfire is heard across the whole map

Maybe like parts of fog will blink or "breath" red when something is heard, if heard by two pawns maybe it could reshade part of the the areas both pawns heard to help triangulate position? I like this mod idea but haven't tried it..... YET.

Headshotkill

I think a slider-option to change the viewing distance would make this mod perfect for me.

Luka Kama

Change log:

• Replaced detours with Harmony patches (greatly increase compatibility with other mods and allow easier porting to new RimWorld versions).
  • Used Vanilla Mod Settings framework (removed Huglib dependency)
  • Some performances optimizations
  • Fixed enemy building blueprints visible through the fog

Steam page
Zip to manually install here

Rasperry_Hero

I registered an account here only to comment on what an amazing and awesome mod and concept this is! It deserves more attention!

Jordan Bear

Thanks so much for your hard work on this mod, it's really impressive what you've pulled off!

I've been using it since initial release pretty much and I gotta say, it's an absolute game changer for me- made the whole experience new again, and 100x as tense. I only realised how much I loved it when I updated to the A18 unstable and couldn't use it anymore. Now I feel like I'm playing some kind of Rimworld prototype build :L Can't wait for the official A18 release to go back to creeping around at night trying to scout out raiding parties.

Cheers!

Sniper Pilot

Ive always loved this mod, Thank you for your hard work! however when the random caravan events such as ambush etc when ever the mini play area is generated all the generated walls are invisible. Anyone else having this issue?

Nvm, I see im not the only one, and its prob a mod conflict...