[1.1] Real Fog of War (v1.8.0) - The Unknown

Started by Luka Kama, July 29, 2017, 12:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

db48x

While it's not perfect, I think this is quite an interesting mod. Really gives the game a different feeling.

It'd be nice if the mod incompatibilities were either fixed, or made more obvious (so that they don't suddenly show up after you've been playing for a while), or if they were at least documented.

But what I think this mod needs the most is integration of non-visual data, such as sound and memory. Technically sound is already handled by the base game, as you can hear that manhunter pack outside your walls if you're zoomed in and paying attention, but the mod should add some visual indications as well, unless your people are too far away, too deaf, etc.

Memory is likewise almost handled already: items on the ground that you haven't seen yet are invisible. However, other situations are not, such as a prisoner or a guest being in a particular room. From a game-play perspective, there should be some indication that someone is there, and that indicator should let you interact with them much as if they were visible. (Currently if you can guess what tile they're standing in, you can still click on them and get a menu of actions, but that feels more like a bug or partial implementation resulting from how the mod prevents them from being rendered rather than an intentional gameplay feature.)

Hunting is similarly problematic, because you have to micromanage your hunters in order to discover something to hunt. (Or wait until night when the animals go to sleep, then look for the ZZzs.)

All that aside, I'm really enjoying playing the game this way! Thanks!

PhantomFav

Quote from: Sniper Pilot on November 22, 2017, 04:21:02 AM
Ive always loved this mod, Thank you for your hard work! however when the random caravan events such as ambush etc when ever the mini play area is generated all the generated walls are invisible. Anyone else having this issue?

Nvm, I see im not the only one, and its prob a mod conflict...

Nope, it's not. I just played vanilla plus ONLY Fog of War. Except for the original map, in the other bases, the animals and the walls are invisible and/or untouchable. Luka Kama can you fix this bug? :)

Luka Kama

Quote from: PhantomFav on November 23, 2017, 12:55:10 PM
Nope, it's not. I just played vanilla plus ONLY Fog of War. Except for the original map, in the other bases, the animals and the walls are invisible and/or untouchable. Luka Kama can you fix this bug? :)

Hi,

unfortunately, until now I was unable to reproduce the issue, so I don't know what is causing it and how to fix it. If you have a save with the problem, can you please share it? Thanks.

PhantomFav

Quote from: Luka Kama on November 23, 2017, 01:53:57 PM
Hi,

unfortunately, until now I was unable to reproduce the issue, so I don't know what is causing it and how to fix it. If you have a save with the problem, can you please share it? Thanks.

I just discovered a new noxious feature of the bug: It's irreproducibility :(

On the left, the game before the loading, on the right, the game after the loading!

Here the save file:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wp6lyyrm2d967yj/FoW%20Bug.rws

Here the log after the loading:

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Luka Kama

Quote from: PhantomFav on November 23, 2017, 03:12:24 PM
I just discovered a new noxious feature of the bug: It's irreproducibility :(

On the left, the game before the loading, on the right, the game after the loading!

Here the save file:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wp6lyyrm2d967yj/FoW%20Bug.rws

Here the log after the loading:

Do you have the log before the loading? (the one when you made the save)

It seems like if the new map wasn't created correctly (in the save I can't find, for the new map, the flag used by the mod to track seen and unseen objects).

PhantomFav

Quote from: Luka Kama on November 24, 2017, 02:46:25 PM
Do you have the log before the loading? (the one when you made the save)

Nope. But I have replied the problem with another start game.
Here the save (I just spawned near an invisible wall):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/u7bburb4b806pqa/bug.rws

Here the log before and after the loading:

Sniper Pilot

Quote from: PhantomFav on November 23, 2017, 12:55:10 PM
Quote from: Sniper Pilot on November 22, 2017, 04:21:02 AM
Ive always loved this mod, Thank you for your hard work! however when the random caravan events such as ambush etc when ever the mini play area is generated all the generated walls are invisible. Anyone else having this issue?

Nvm, I see im not the only one, and its prob a mod conflict...

That makes me feel a bit better, I miss playing with this mod. Here's hoping for a fix. This mixed with aggressive fauna creates an exciting dynamic that should be in the base game :)

Luka Kama

Just an update: I am finally able to reproduce the issue using the PhantomFav save, by settling a new colony with all colonists.

I'm working to fix it. Thanks for your support.

Luka Kama

Change log:

• Fixed a bug causing pawn, walls, etc to not show up properly on newly created maps for caravans events (new colonies, ambushes, attacks, and so on).
  • Added a safeguard check to prevent anticipated map rendering (due other mods) to break Fog of War mod initialization.

Steam page
Zip to manually install here

PhantomFav

Quote from: Luka Kama on November 25, 2017, 07:46:01 AM

Change log:

• Fixed a bug causing pawn, walls, etc to not show up properly on newly created maps for caravans events (new colonies, ambushes, attacks, and so on).
  • Added a safeguard check to prevent anticipated map rendering (due other mods) to break Fog of War mod initialization.

Steam page
Zip to manually install here

THX a lot Luka ;D

EDIT: it works perfectly with the "Set up Camp" Mod ^^ Great!

PhantomFav

Oh no, I spoke too soon  :P

This is the log after I enter for the first time in a camp with the Set-up Camp. Is this a serious problem? Objects and pawns on the map are perfectly visible :)

Luka Kama

Quote from: PhantomFav on November 25, 2017, 11:39:37 AM
Oh no, I spoke too soon  :P

This is the log after I enter for the first time in a camp with the Set-up Camp. Is this a serious problem? Objects and pawns on the map are perfectly visible :)

Just tried with the same mod set and had no problems. Also, the error doesn't seem related to Fog of War. It seems more related to rivers map generation (triggered by set up camp).

PhantomFav

Ok, even with the error, the game seams perfectly normal ;D

Sniper Pilot

Thank you for the fix!! Back to being able to enjoy exploring.

bhongryp

Loving this mod; totally changes the way I play the game. I've been using restricted zones to keep 'sentries' at the entrances to my base so I don't get surprised by hostiles wandering around the village (absolutely essential if you play with this and zombies). This means I now have colonists specialized for combat, which is something I had never bothered to consider before. I do have a request though: would it be possible to have the watch towers work like research tables, where there is a never-ending task? I think it would be cool to have 'Sentry' as a job that pawns can be assigned to, rather than my current method with restricted zones and guard houses.