[1.0] [WIP] Replimat - Distributed food replicator system

Started by sumghai, August 16, 2017, 05:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixdd

I like the new computer and tank but I'd also like to see a larger tank as an option for larger colonies, possibly being just cheaper to build than four small tanks or maybe stores more for the same cost, I could go either way on that one. I'm also very curious if this would work over the parallel conduit mod, I'll see about doing some testing there. Keep up the great work sumghai, it's looking awesome!

Sixdd

So after some testing I'm noticing a lot of pawns just "standing" around my base, is there some incompatibility with mods that add other job givers maybe?

sumghai

Apologies for the late reply, everyone - real life and other distractions happened.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 03, 2018, 06:31:29 PMAlso, about the feedstock tanks, honestly I really liked the bigger ones. What about having both? A small 1x1 tank with 250L, and a big 2x2 with 1500L? Those are just rough numbers, but I threw out 1500 so that it would be a little more efficient than 4 small ones.

As per my previous update(s), Dubs and I concluded that even large colonies of 50~100 pawns would never be able to fully utilize a single large tank with a max capacity as low as 1000L, so I decided to opt for just the 250L tanks. Also, do note my comments on redundancy.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 03, 2018, 06:31:29 PMEither way, this mod is looking so freaking promising. Especially if you can "time" restrict things. Something to think about - but maybe in the future you could have a very similar system, but it is similar to a restaurant's fountain system.

A daily meal planner is definitely something I have in mind in the long term, although the UI for it is probably going to be a nightmare to design.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 03, 2018, 06:31:29 PMThis way you could make a proper bar with some taps, that could dispense different drinks (Cupro's or Veg Garden's) that are piped in from some back storage room. Maybe even require Dub's Bad Hygeine's water/sewage lines to be connected to it!

I'm pretty keen on this idea as well.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 03, 2018, 06:31:29 PMAlso, I'm sad to see that there is no longer a replimat conduit. Hypothetically, couldn't we just have our own sort of "replimat conduit" with Supe's Parallel Power Conduits and Power Logic? That actually has me kind of curious. Can the food still "travel" along those conduits, or must they be the vanilla conduits? And if they have to be vanilla conduits, could we use Power Logic's emitter and receiver coils for a separate conduit network without causing any issues?

The Replimat conduit was discarded early on because Dubs noted that it was a real pain to code, even for what he's done with Rimatomics and Bad Hygiene. He also noted that if the mod is uninstalled, there'd be some nasty map components left behind that may bork a savegame.

Quote from: SzaryKaptur on March 14, 2018, 12:21:22 PM
Nevermind, conflict with Smarter Food Selection

Noted!

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on March 19, 2018, 05:28:35 PM
The idea of feeding animals with this system would be the reason why I would use this mod. I know I can use industrial rollers to distribute stuff like kibble around but building your base around rollers doesn't work for me.

Looking forward to the possibility of getting the kibble where it needs to be without the haul.

I'm of two minds regarding this.

On one hand, the idea behind the Replimat is that it effectively eliminates the need to keep livestock, because meals containing meat and protein can be synthesized from plant-based feedstock. On the other hand, Dubs suggested a kibble bowl or trough that automatically restocks itself to feed pets.

Perhaps in a future release?

Quote from: Sixdd on March 29, 2018, 08:32:01 AM
So after some testing I'm noticing a lot of pawns just "standing" around my base, is there some incompatibility with mods that add other job givers maybe?

Probably some shenanigans involving JobGivers / JobDrivers in general.

Due to the way Tynan hardcoded nutrient dispensers in the base game, Dubs had to write new Replimat-specific JobGivers / JobDrivers that takes precedence over the stock JobGivers / JobDrivers, simply to include Replimats as the top-priority food source. I suspect you just found yet another unforeseen incompatibility or edge case bug.

sumghai

Progress Report, 30 June 2018

With RimNGE updated for the 1.0 Unstable dev build of the game, it's time to revisit Replimat again!

- Renamed most textures to the new north-south-east orientation scheme

- Added a simple cutoff shader to Replimat Terminal, so that it doesn't appear "yellow" when placed in a prison cell

- Dubs refactored some minor bits of code and fixed a couple of graphics transparency issues

Still quite a few bugs to iron out and features to add, but we're getting there!

lllMWNlll

That's a great idea for a mod...

And i love the art so friendly to Vanilla style...

I'm going to test it

lllMWNlll

Reading the topic conversation, also thinking by myself.
I like to suggest add Hospital Food to the Replimat food that helps immunization is something awesome to be added to this mod!

Since it's computer processed food for human consumption the computer could be inserted to the medical equipment (vitals monitor) making food hospital for helping quick recover and immunization (i think i spelled correctly).

It would be a bit op? I don't think so... Play Randy (storyteller) at hardest difficulty, and you think a quick recover would benefit and balance the game.

Anyway it's a idea. Maybe you can think in something else

[more one thing...]
Stables and animals... Replimat for animals... Expading even more the mod...

sumghai

Quote from: lllMWNlll on June 30, 2018, 05:51:52 PM
I like to suggest add Hospital Food to the Replimat food that helps immunization is something awesome to be added to this mod!
I'm not keen on the idea of medicated food, and it's not technically possible anyway.

The Replimat Terminal code is based on the vanilla nutrient paste dispenser, so when a pawn goes up to get food, there is no code that lets pawns actively choose what they want to eat - rather, the Terminal randomly picks a meal for them from the game database, which gives players the illusion that pawns are picking random meals. If I added medicated food, I won't be able to control whether a pawn actually receives it with each roll of the dice.

Stables and animals... Replimat for animals...
Yes, a Replimat animal feeder is planned.

Canute

Since it's computer processed food for human consumption the computer could be inserted to the medical equipment (vitals monitor) making food hospital for helping quick recover and immunization (i think i spelled correctly).

It would be a bit op? I don't think so... Play Randy (storyteller) at hardest difficulty, and you think a quick recover would benefit and balance the game.
As a longtime user of Vegetable garden i can say it shouldn't be to OP.
Many of the VG food add Blood filt/Blood pump./Metaboism which increase the healing too.
And this food just need regular food resources.

But i just think how the pawn's should handle these medical food.
Since food selection is a big issue at RW a long time. Smarter food selection helped abit.
Maybe made the medical food less attractive them regular replimat, so you need to force pawn's to eat them.

sumghai

Quote from: Canute on July 01, 2018, 06:59:21 AM
But i just think how the pawn's should handle these medical food.
Since food selection is a big issue at RW a long time. Smarter food selection helped abit.
Maybe made the medical food less attractive them regular replimat, so you need to force pawn's to eat them.

As I have already stated, in order for the Replimat to be recognized as a food source, its functionality was based on the vanilla nutrient paste dispenser.

Pawns cannot "choose" specific meal items like medicated food - instead, they eat whatever the Terminal randomly selects for them.

lllMWNlll

Quote from: sumghai on July 01, 2018, 05:42:28 PM
Quote from: Canute on July 01, 2018, 06:59:21 AM
[...]

As I have already stated, in order for the Replimat to be recognized as a food source, its functionality was based on the vanilla nutrient paste dispenser.

Pawns cannot "choose" specific meal items like medicated food - instead, they eat whatever the Terminal randomly selects for them.

Maybe a second station?
The normal food station (fine meals)
The medical food station (hospital meals)

That should solve the functionality.

sumghai

sumghai

Progress Report, 8 July 2018

New building/furniture - Replimat Animal Feeder!

Essentially a high-tech pet food bowl that can store up to 75 units of Kibble, and will automatically top up by drawing from feedstock tanks when less than 20 units of Kibble remain. Can be switched off if required.

Outstanding issues:

• Fix Inspector log spam bug for minified Replimat Terminals and Animal Feeders
  • Implement sound and glow FX for Replimat Hopper
  • Move food menu from Terminals to Computer
  • Design a better food selection menu (will need to consult player opinions)
  • Art pass for 1.0
  • Language and translations (initial release will support English and Traditional Chinese)

Sixdd

Hey, just wanted to pop in and ask how is the progress going? This is one of my favorite mods but I did feel like once I got the replimat up and running it broke down a bit too often, just my 2 cents.

EDIT: What I meant was the malfunction events seemed to frequent, not that the terminal would breakdown.

sumghai

Quote from: Sixdd on September 07, 2018, 08:35:27 PM
Hey, just wanted to pop in and ask how is the progress going?
I haven't made too much progress since then, due to a change in personal circumstances.

Dubwise and I are looking into resuming work on this once things settle down, although I understand that Dubs is currently busy squashing bugs/incompatibilities in his own mods.

Quote from: Sixdd on September 07, 2018, 08:35:27 PMThis is one of my favorite mods but I did feel like once I got the replimat up and running it broke down a bit too often, just my 2 cents.

EDIT: What I meant was the malfunction events seemed to frequent, not that the terminal would breakdown.
Yes, I've noticed that the Replimat Malfunction incidents seemed to happen a bit more often than I would've liked.

It should be easy for me to tweak them to occur less often, but on the flipside, the current frequency of incidents may serve to balance out the OP nature of this mod (I mean, the mod helps mitigate the need for large meal/raw food freezer rooms, cooks and stoves to sustain large colonies - even I admit it's a bit cheaty).

sumghai

Progress Report, 29 September 2018

Apologies for the radio silence, folks - I recently relocated to start a new job, so I hadn't had much free time or reliable internet.

Now that things have settled down, here's a mockup of the Meal Manager UI that would allow players to control what meal options are available to all connected Replimats: