[A17] SteamCorp - Coder required

Started by MrXuiryus, August 27, 2017, 07:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrXuiryus

Rollup, rollup! Come one and all! You sir and/or mam, yes you the person reading this! You are invited to join us in the wonderful world of SteamCorp! Where your every desire and dream can be fufilled!*
*SteamCorp does not promise to fulfill any desire or dream and can not be held accountable for sadness or broken hearts resulting from the lack of fufilled desires and/or dreams

Bring your colony into the modern world by powering it with science! ...The science of steam that is! Build our new steam generator in your very own colony and fuel it with coal (coal not included purchaser must mine for it by themselves.) this generator funnels pressurized steam through our pipe network and into your homes! Comes with our newly released anti-solar-flare guarantee.

Raiders got you down? Always knocking at your door trying to sell you the latest from their outdated tribalwear catalog? Don't want to have that awkward conversation with them? Well then you need the patented (patent pending) plated walls! Stop building walls of stone and wood, what are you a cave man and / or woman? Build them with brass a SteamCorp exclusive alloy that promises to stand the test of shivs gunfire and grenades!

If you'll flip to our luxury items page you'll see our new floors which if I do say so myself are very "on fleek", that's what the kids say these days right? Next to them you'll see our beautiful range of home lamps that come in multiple colours and let's not forget the absolutely gorgeous street lamps to turn your colony, into a home.

Mod Contains:

• Coal - a new type of fuel
  • Brass - a mineable alloy used to create most SteamCorp items, you can also create vanilla items with it
  • Plated Wall - A new type of wall made from metals that is stronger than stone, resistant to fire and takes less damage from explosives
  • Plated Wall - Polished, same as above but with a positive beauty score
  • Steam Generator - powered by coal this generator provides steam power to your colony, this power source is not effected by solar events (Coder Required)
  • Steam Pipe - carries the steam power
  • Steam Valve - toggles the steam power
  • Steam Converter - Converts steam power to electrical power and allows non-SteamCorp objects to inherit the anti-solar flare properties (Coder Required)
  • Steam heater - A heater that heats the room with steam (Coder Required)
  • Lamps (Multiple Colours) - Steam powered lamps to provide indoor lighting
  • Street lamps (Multiple Colours) - Steam powered lamps designed to work outdoors
  • New floors - Metal / rusty style floors to fit with the steampunk vibe
  • Security items - heated vent that has a chance to burn raiders who step on it (Coder Required)

Hi everyone MrXuiryus speaking now, this is my first mod in which I have attempted to create a steampunk expansion and bring it into Rimworld. Unfortunately I don't possess the skills to complete the mod as I would like so I'm recruiting a coder to help me whilst I bring my C# skills up to scratch.

The pieces that need completed are above tagged with (Coder required) and are as follows:

• A new power network system that doesn't interact with vanilla objects and only powers items that are directly connected (the object is ontop of the pipes) and is immune to solar flare events.
  • A comp that allows steam to emit from the object only when it's powered (completely cosmetic)
  • A converter object that allows vanilla items to be connected to the steam network and inherit the anti-solar flare trait

If you would like to contribute to my mod you will be compensated with credit and an author title on steam I will also help you with any art required for your own mods!

Feedback and suggestions are more than welcome too :)

Spdskatr

My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Techgenius

Are you going to provide us with a download link? I need to this incredible work!

Also, have you considered collaborating with Industrial Revolution? you both could do wonders together!

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33189.0

fyarn

The-Eroks

This looks very interesting.  8)

I can't promise any coding today, but someday in the future I would be interested in helping. A few of the features you mentioned (steam emit from objects, independent power grid) where things I was thinking about doing for a much later release of Epic Omega. Whenever those coding innovations emerge, you are more than free to grab them to do whatever you want.  ;)

However, as an intellectual and creative exercise, I recommend pushing your .xml mod to the absolute limit. You'll learn a ton about how the coding/xml/art aspects all layer together and will help build credibility with community. Coders are in short supply after all.

Inverness

Fantastic work!

I have little skills as a coder but can offer textures if you need them. Let me know if you're interested in collaborating with Industrial Revolution, the mods would work really well together :D

Chicken Plucker

I like the art behind all of this, well done, reminds me of Wild Wild West with Will Smiff

The-Eroks

Quote from: ChickenForcer on August 29, 2017, 05:32:41 PM
I like the art behind all of this, well done, reminds me of Wild Wild West with Will Smiff
Haha, yeah! I forgot about that movie  ;D

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

demeggy

Lovely idea, heated vent trap can be implemented very easily - just run a constant tick check on pawn/trap location and apply burn hediff. You could even rig it so that it requires power or plumbing to a heat source. Anyhow, lovely sounding mod.

Techgenius

Quote from: Inverness on August 28, 2017, 06:29:28 PM
Fantastic work!

I have little skills as a coder but can offer textures if you need them. Let me know if you're interested in collaborating with Industrial Revolution, the mods would work really well together :D

I bet that together you two can turn Rimworld into a clockwork empire. I can imagine it already, steampunk power armor soldiers, arc-throwers, steam-powered mechanical automatons to do your bidding, steam machines for every situation, crazy/amazing contraptions and weapons, dishonored-esque themes. Yeah. That'd be great. Please do  ;D

sumghai

While Steampunk isn't my usual cup of tea, this is a very cool project - looking forward to seeing this released.