Installing Mods on Mac

Started by Dread, May 10, 2014, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dread

After a great deal of googling, searching on the forum, main site, the wiki and the subreddit, i cannot find a single tutorial on how to install mods on OSX. There is no "mods" folder, just the main .app file. Can someone please lay it out for me? I'm sure its very simple, but i've no idea where the mods folder would be.

Thanks.

PS: Might be worth updating this page: http://rimworldwiki.com/Installing_mods

zoidgeeks

Hello.  ;D

Click on your hard drive, go to applications. Right click on the rimworld app and go to show contentpackages. Here you will see all the folders in that application.

Dread

Thank you very much, thats most helpful. I had no idea you could do that.

ItchyFlea

Moved this to help and pinned for future reference for other Mac users. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ItchyFlea

Config file location on Mac:

Thanks to ElTanko for posting that information.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ayoblub

A few plugins* started to use windows libraries (dll) at their core. I suppose it won't be possible to mod rim world that deeply just by platform independent scripting, will it?

*better power, TechTreeMinami, etc.

tommie

ah hmm, still not succeeded with installing a mod on a mac. I did find the rimworld map in the "application support" map. The maps in that map are: "config", "saves" and "worlds".

So now, how does one add a mod to the actual game. I can't seem to figure it out at all.

Haplo

The normal procedure is to extract the mod-zip-file into the folder ../RimWorldXXX/Mods/
But as I don't own a Mac I can't tell if it's differently done there, sorry..

tommie

hmm, with my installation it didn't extract the folder "mods". Either is it nowhere to be found.

Any mods with binaries (Windows DLLs) would need to be cross-compiled for Mac/*nix.  Unless the modder provided the source for their mod, they would also have to provide the binaries.  If they provided the source, you can certainly attempt to compile it yourself for your own platform.

Mono provides compiling for Linux, OSX 10.7 (Lion) and Windows, among others, on individual platforms.  I haven't checked Monos cross-compile ability yet but I have used it for other compilers.  The only thing you need to consider is platform specific code but the only platform specifics I see in the context of RimWorld are buried deep or resolved by the compiler/host application (RimWorld).

Mono for various platforms:
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/supported-platforms/

Edit: Some new information shows that linux can run mono built dlls without a platform specific build.  This may also be true for Macs.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.