[A17][WIP] Biomes+

Started by Hey my team rules!, September 14, 2017, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanT

I've been playing a bit with these biomes for the past couple of days (though I didn't have time for Wasteland yet), so here's my feedback/opinions:

Poison Forest

• Looks absolutely gorgeous
  • I like the idea of poisonous air and the challenge it provides
  • As much as I like the poison, it does feel too similar to permanent fallout.
  • Thinking of the point above, perhaps you (or another modder) can create animals endemic to the biome that could survive the poison.

Volcano

• Love the idea of areas near lava being naturally hotter. It creates some interesting base-building options
  • I find the colors of the biome a bit jarring.
  • Solidified magma, in particular, looks too black and artificial. It should somewhat lighter imo.
  • Likewise, molten magma could also use some color adjustments towards a red-ish orange tone to look more natural

Savanna

• Probably my favorite of the biomes at this point.
  • Gameplay feels balanced and the biome looks visually appealing.

Wetland

• Dealing with all the marshes is an interesting gameplay challenge if you're not using some bridges mod.
  • Really like those mangrove trees.
  • Not sure how feasible it is, but creating some impassable marsh areas (thinking of sinkholes and things like that) could be interesting gameplay-wise.
  • I find the biome somewhat dull visually, but that's to be expected from a marshland, I guess. Perhaps you could add will-o-wisps or something to the marshes to make it more visually appealing?

Wasteland

• Haven't had time to really play here yet, so just some quick feedback based on the preview.
  • The toxic waste pools feel kinda squareish on the preview. The lava pools on the volcano biome feel more natural on that sense.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: DanT on October 01, 2017, 07:16:54 AM
Wasteland

• Haven't had time to really play here yet, so just some quick feedback based on the preview.
  • The toxic waste pools feel kinda squareish on the preview. The lava pools on the volcano biome feel more natural on that sense.

This is an interesting observation, which I have to agree on just based on the screenshots.
It is funny though, because as far as I can see, all the new fluids are just recollored versions of the games own water.

It could help if the different depths were used and the colors of the new fluids gained some gradiants.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Nameless

I was thinking for poison forest the land would mutate plants and turn them into a spawner of vicious mutant stuffs that are hard to kill and angry all the time :D

Really really looking for this mod to be released!

SpaceDorf

You are talking about the Tiberium Rim Mod ?

Nameless

Not quite as tiberium rim doesn't outright affect your entire map plus most of the things happen are event based.

It should be permanent on a map like this :D

SpaceDorf

Attaching the mutation effects to map markers sounds reasonable.

Distance to toxic waste or poison lakes. Or Biome related plants and animals.
Similiar to Tiberium Trees and Monsters

First Ingame Feedback :

Toxic Waste : the toxic lakes are much to bright, in comparison to the dark and bleak surroundings.

QuoteI've been testing this mod myself and it runs fine with all my other mods without any errors. The only issue is compatibility with mods that add new wild plants and animals. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments if you have any.

Could you be more detailed about that, because I noticed, this kills about every modlist I have ..

I was also thinking about a possible solution for that .. "sub-biomes" .. if youre biomes were to inherit settings of similiar biomes ( jungle -> poison forest ) .. than the mods that add stuff to biomes would be integrated by the game itself .. ( theoretically )

Petrenko

I totally adore your mod and would really like to see it adapted for B18 :)