[Request] Mortar

Started by Ermantis, May 12, 2014, 05:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ermantis

So, we need mortars. Shoots over roof-less walls. Explodes on impacts. Could use missiles and could use incendiary weapons.
Lights mortars could be moved and carried around but would slow down the carrier.
Heavy mortar would be like turrets, and need someone to use them.
And, of course, raiders would have them to.

Imagine the sieges... Just imagine...
Anyone up for it ?

Tynan

This is high on my to-do list.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RonEverson

Keep in mind it may destroy the balance completely.
Implement a risk factor based on Shooting Skill but always not lower than some % that the shot will be a dummy shot that wont explode or it will tear the mortar and its crew into shreds.
That should work both ways.
Colonists and Raiders alike.
+it should need deployment time to use it and an ammo box as feeder for the mortar itself.
Not to mention the scatter of the projectile as well.
Lots to think about it...or it will bust your experience straight away.

Idea is good...just sense of balance is needed.

user27

how are you going to figure out what the effect(s) should be if the round hits a roof?
a metal roof it would rip through and couse a medical emergency, but what about rock roofs?
unless someone came up with a bunker wall and a bunker roof your going to end up in a cave with half the roof caved in and most of your colony destroyed

Evmeister

Well a user did just release a shield mod, so that can be used in conjunction with siege mods. I actually was thinking there needed to be some siege features as well. I actually build outside now, so much less work vs mining out a whole area then building everything in. I look forward to some artillery.

securitycop

N-Tempest

and now they're in, they're the footstep of doom...
EVERY siege has me dead by dawn... they can shoot ANYWHERE on my base and there's too many of them to shoot on-foot... Game over man

mrofa

They often will target your colonist, i did use a tactic that i just draft one colonist and run near them but not near engouh to get shot, and mortars did try to hit only that one colonist all the time, while rest of my colony did work as usual :)
It might be diffrent when you get m24 or build mortars of your own, but for low lvl guns colony it works perfect.
All i do is clutter all around.

lilsammy

can't say I am a fan of this feature its a bit "too" destructive, specially later on in games where you get raids of 4+ mortars at the other side of the map forcing you to engage or try to "out mortar" them which also takes a lot of time to build up to just annoying when its blowing holes in the rock side where you have an underground base it just seems like it shouldn't happen *wanders if that's a bug*