what do i do if i know someone who pireted the game

Started by juscites, October 19, 2017, 11:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

I was referring to many posts in this thread, not just the OP.  And again, it's NOT "just" semantics; my problem is with the attempt at minimization.
Thanks, belgord!

Seriously Unserious

Definitely dismissing a wrongful act or justifying it away is not the right way to go, no matter how hard it may be to find a workable solution.

All the persistence of software piracy means is we still have yet to find an effective solution to put a stop to it. It does not mean that finding such a way is not a worthwhile goal, and certainly excusing the poor ethics of those using piracy to get their games will only make it worse.

Any excuse short of the developer approves of it is bunk, IMO. Don't have the money? Do some work and earn it. Don't like the developer? Don't play any of their games then. Feel the game is overpriced? Wait for it to go on sale or just don't play it until it comes down to a reasonable price. Playing games is a luxury, there is no survival need to do it and plenty of legal ways to entertain yourself without money if you're too broke or cheap to pay, and plenty of legal ways to raise money for yourself if you really want to have those luxuries. No excuse to cheat anyone out of their work, or cheat those who are ethical enough to pay for it.

Catt

I had written up a nice post with some bite to display everything wrong with the attitude of the OP, but as habit demands, checking the forum rules to see if it would get me into trouble (yes it would have), this caught my eye:

6. No piracy: No discussions of game piracy, and especially no posting of pirate links or material.

NemesisN

You need to inform the government ASAP this crime is for death row !

JK

But seriously why do you care ? If you bought the game and supported the devs then you done the most you can do to help out the game and its development
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

NemesisN

Quote from: Seriously Unserious on October 22, 2017, 10:08:45 PM
Definitely dismissing a wrongful act or justifying it away is not the right way to go, no matter how hard it may be to find a workable solution.

All the persistence of software piracy means is we still have yet to find an effective solution to put a stop to it. It does not mean that finding such a way is not a worthwhile goal, and certainly excusing the poor ethics of those using piracy to get their games will only make it worse.

Any excuse short of the developer approves of it is bunk, IMO. Don't have the money? Do some work and earn it. Don't like the developer? Don't play any of their games then. Feel the game is overpriced? Wait for it to go on sale or just don't play it until it comes down to a reasonable price. Playing games is a luxury, there is no survival need to do it and plenty of legal ways to entertain yourself without money if you're too broke or cheap to pay, and plenty of legal ways to raise money for yourself if you really want to have those luxuries. No excuse to cheat anyone out of their work, or cheat those who are ethical enough to pay for it.

funny do you think the same about Early Access games ?
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

laser50

I don't think we should forget that while piracy hurts sales, it also improves them, I pirated the game up till Alpha 13? I think? I bought it afterwards because the game is good. It is by far the best way to test a game you aren't sure about.

NemesisN

Quote from: laser50 on October 23, 2017, 12:50:45 PM
I don't think we should forget that while piracy hurts sales, it also improves them, I pirated the game up till Alpha 13? I think? I bought it afterwards because the game is good. It is by far the best way to test a game you aren't sure about.

I agree with this....there is a lot of early access scam going on Steam with abandoned projects, bugs that make the game unplayable, unadded content seen in trailers, promises that never get implemented, hype that never lives up to its name, copy/paste same game from free to play on browser ect. But this type of scam is not illegal

RemingtonRyder

If you aren't sure about a game, then why even 'try it out'?

Is it the case that it looks interesting, but you don't know how well it will run, if at all?

Or, is there simply not enough information immediately available to make a decision?

To decide whether you can actually run the game well, go and look at the support forum for the game that you're buying. If there are lots of game-stopping bugs, then you probably want to avoid the game, at least until those issues have been resolved. If it's more the case that a few people have problems due to trying to run the game on a laptop or older PC, then that's something to take into consideration as well.

If there's not enough information to make a decision, then see if anyone is streaming the game. Watch the gameplay and ask some questions.

It strikes me that bypassing the pay gate and downloading the game from a third-party site is the easy option. Actually researching a game that you're not sure about is hard. You have to figure out the right questions to ask, and then bring all the answers together to make an informed decision, and then there's still that 0.1% chance that when you actually buy it, you won't feel like you've got your money's worth.

On the other hand, doing all that tricky information-gathering could help you avoid some of the pitfalls of today's game market. For example, let's say that a game looks interesting, but then you dig a bit deeper and you find out that it has bugs, that no further updates are planned, and support is abysmal. Dodged that bullet!

Relying on downloads from a third-party source to assess whether a game is worth buying is a slippery slope. On the one hand, it does allow you to check that the game actually works and is enjoyable, but then once you have that download, there's nothing stopping you from just playing that, except your conscience nagging you. ;)

I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea that piracy helps sales. The number of people who buy a game after playing a version they downloaded from a third-party site is always going to be smaller than the number who don't buy the game after doing the same, for whatever reason. That's not helping.

What would be helpful is a respected site which does exhaustive and impartial research on games, so that you can make a better-informed buying decision. It would also be the bane of unscrupulous game developers trying to scam customers or make a quick buck on an overhyped game.

NemesisN

Quote from: MarvinKosh on October 23, 2017, 03:19:43 PM
If you aren't sure about a game, then why even 'try it out'?

Is it the case that it looks interesting, but you don't know how well it will run, if at all?

Or, is there simply not enough information immediately available to make a decision?

not gonna quote the whole thing

If it was not for me downloading early alpha game can't remember which version but still I would never play this game today and never decide to buy it at all and they would not benefit another 27,99 Euro (not that matters or makes a difference). Because from what I saw in trailer, pictures and gameplays was a SCI-FI colony survival game. And I am not a fan of SCI-FI games of any type so I was never interested in this game but due to its rise and popularity I decided to download it to check it out without me wasting my money if the game turns out to be not my type of the game.

And now not only did I buy the game I have spend countless hours on it. If it was not for me experiencing the gameplay myself I would have never even looked at this game again.

I do agree that people who download it from somewhere that they don't have to feel obligated to pay. But if you like the game then you should support it, also it allows you to get access to Steam Workshop which is a benefit in many games

But with all of these Early Access scams going on can you really blame them

Also System requirements are not always correct, I had games that demanded more then my PC has but my pc was able to handle it very well, and games that did not demand anything above my specs but I was not able to run the game without heavy lagg....another reason to check out the game before buying

Klitri