Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: LouisTBR on October 25, 2017, 10:37:27 AM
I'd go with:
"A portable bed made using any textile. Can be uninstalled and carried anywhere, making it a good choice for camping outside and provides a comfortable rest space for long haul journeys. More versatile than a bed, but less comfortable." or something of that gist.
Also, I just found out about the queuing jobs feature. It's currently up there with butchering helpless prisoners on my "Best Rimworld Features" list.

"A sleeping bag of varied materials, designed for outdoors."

Don't need to make over extended texts the will fill the whole computer screen, keep it short and simple.

NagashUD

----Tantrum. Go around randomly smashing furniture, buildings, and damageable items.

3rd day, my colonist broke my 47 components, a bit rude imo !

Jstank

With the new event sound  notifications I feel as though eclipse and solar flare notification sounds no longer convey how really un-serious those events are.

I want that "alarm bell" sound effect to be reserved for something more important like "predator is hunting my colonist and now he is in grave danger! Please pay attention to this because someone is going to die like right now!"

I would say that solar eclipse and solar flare should be downgraded to orange notifications.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Rafe009

Quote from: NagashUD on October 25, 2017, 06:15:19 PM

47 components vaporized on day 3? Tynnan if this is true i'm going to wall up all my components behind wood then research stone cutting so i can wall them all up behind a stone wall. As if a pyro going into my armory and setting fire to my pristine new assault riffle or armor vest isn't enough

Lightzy

On one hand all the additions and changes seem very very good, on the other hand, totally underwhelming :/
I guess it's no big deal by Tynan did mention in his latest blog that rimworld is approaching the end of its development (different wording but that's what's implied when saying "content lock")

East

-tornado-
A tornado was created in the house and I could not do anything.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185150856

The power of Mother Nature is good, but this is a crazy thing to forget about the this is game.

The game must have a means to respond. About the level of attack that can destroy all bases.

I was destroyed in stock. There was a lot of resources in stock that we had gathered to escape.

If you add a tornado, at least give it a way to stop it. I'm playing a game, not a movie!

-uranium-
Is the resource easy to collect? Is not. Especially uranium is terrible. I'm deep mining all 2 maps, but none of the uranium came out. I counted uranium to escape and I found that 7 people needed 1440 uranium to escape. It's good to make it harder, but is it better than going through the difficulties to go 4-5 maps and get deep mining on the map? The situation that I can not escape without luck like me. This is clearly wrong.

It has a long and long second half without the latter content. I am a skilled rimworld gamer who has 2000 hours of rimworld play and has experienced numerous escapes. However, it was 157 days and I could not gather any resources of space ship. Tornadoes were also destroyed by a small collection. I understand that if I'm just an extreme difficulty, but not getting the uranium is irrelevant to the difficulty.

Developers have made uranium a rarity resource, and have increased their usage dramatically in a18.
This is really wrong. Get rid of "jade" like garbage and put uranium instead.
If you do not like it, put in other cool means to get uranium.

-World map quest-
I had 11 social skills with a character to perform the task of the world map quest conference was difficult. Surprisingly, our friendship has risen to nothing. I went hard but there is no compensation. Moving the world map is harder than you think. We need to get out of base and prepare food and fight on the plain without any preparation.

If I am not lucky, do I have to go through the mountains to get the AI core? In order to give a quest, you have to make it fun to move the world map properly. Meet annoyed.

The quest is also very strange.
They ask for 150 medicines and give them two plas tables.Most of these nonsense quests.
Developers do not understand that sending a pawn to the world map is a significant risk. It is not even fun. But the quest reward is really terrible. If the randomness does not work properly, make it a fixed quest. Until it is finished enough to function normally.

-mental inspiration-
New mental inspirations How cool! But when you do it, you realize that there is really no utility. Surgery odds trash! trade garbage! Shooting garbage! Art trash! There are very few situations that use that ability in a limited amount of time. It is cool, fun and cool to put all the skills together if you satisfy the conditions hardly. In particular, fighting inspirations conditions should be changed in such a way as to kill the enemy.

dresser and End Table
end table & dressor Is not something giving the wrong bonus?
The comofort is a really futile option in bed. This is because the mood figures are fixed. +10 It does not apply while sleeping even if it is luxuriously comfortable. The discomfort problem is only in the low bed class at the beginning. Do not you have to give rest efectiveness a bonus instead of comfort?

ReZpawner

Got to agree on that. The tornado is complete garbage. It doesn't add anything to the game gameplay wise at all. Just an annoyance.

O Negative

I love the tornado, personally. It's beautifully destructive and unstoppable. It adds a lot to the story telling aspect of the game, if you ask me! You can always disable it in the scenario editor if you don't like it, anyways.

It's an extreme natural disaster that causes a massive amount of damage. And, NO, you can't just stop it. That's the whole point of natural disasters. They aren't raids that you can just shoot at until they go away... Lol

That being said, I think tornadoes could use some tuning, still. Given the sudden nature of the event, and how devastating the damage it causes is, I'd say the best route is to make sure it can't start right on top of player-built structures.

Either that, or a way to signal a player as to where the tornado is going to touch down. Have the game decide on a location, set a delay on spawning the tornado (similar to the refugee chased event), and signal the player as to where it's going to happen (maybe with that little arrow thing used to guide you to pawns and such). That would allow players to evacuate any valuables/people, but the tornado would still come in and do its work.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: wyoian on October 24, 2017, 06:09:29 PM
With tribal start, we no longer start with bed tech. But we don't spawn with cloth to make bedrolls. Should the tribal start be updated to start with some cloth or hide? or I guess we can use any hide so we just must butcher before we can have beds. Feels weird but sort of makes sense. Changes day 1 priorities.

It's more fun/challenging to have to provide that cloth/hide yourself. I also like how I as a tribe need to rely on bedrolls until beds are researched (especially since I like to prioritise alot of other stuff first it makes for some interesting hard choices and a satisfying feeling of progression when I get it).

drunetovich

Tribal start has access to sterile tile right away, this tech has to be hidden behind some research.

SURU

Recently i started new colony fully moded with A17, after a short break. Now i see A18 starting with built-in some mods - dreams coming true. Thank you! Love this game.
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

NagashUD

Quote from: Rafe009 on October 25, 2017, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: NagashUD on October 25, 2017, 06:15:19 PM

47 components vaporized on day 3? Tynnan if this is true i'm going to wall up all my components behind wood then research stone cutting so i can wall them all up behind a stone wall. As if a pyro going into my armory and setting fire to my pristine new assault riffle or armor vest isn't enough

Yeah that's a bit too much annoyance, maybe just some few and not all should be better balanced ?

RemingtonRyder

Well, there is the new 'Exile' option if you want to give a colonist the punishment you feel they deserve for going on a wrecking spree.

Personally, never had it happen, because I take good care of my guys.

Pope

Story Teller : Phoebe Chillax
Difficulty : Base Builder
Biome : Temperate Forest / Large Hills.
6 Hours playtime - Ingame Days: 78
Scenario : Classic / Crashlanded 3

I am a mostly really a Base builder, who just eco's and builds an Colony which is nice to visit.
Furthermore i have to admit, i am addicted to this game. Sofar i got almost 2,4k hours and it is on top of my steam games:
https://twitter.com/FM_Pope/media
I dont wanna know how much time i spend on this game pre-steam...

I will start by doing a diary for first ingame months, but then focus later on important events.
Quests are not mentioned in this diary. Diary is a little for entertainment purpose ( DAMN YOU PYRO !!!! ).

Pawn Selection / Creation:
First View reaction is like : Ohh.. Do i get those additional pawns later on in the game ?
Nice Team Skill overview, but it doesnt update when i perform a random pawn of the first 3 .
Drag and drop works and updates the Team Skill overview. Let's start!

Day 1:
Lucky i was got a map where my first base space could be seperated by 2 Additional walls from the wildness.
Only 1 Steam Gysir but this is enough. Starting resources got me a nice starting room of 13x13. Found Berries.

Day 2-4:
I started to get more wood, more berries and begun to create all the needed production for food.
Cleared space for a 10x10 Field. None had skill of 5, so let's go potatoes !

Day 5:
Visitors... + 1 Mad Muffalo started to bang on my walls. With a little micro i killed it, but one visitor died.
Faction got mad at me. Down to 2 good will Factions. Pawn #3 got Plague.

Day 7:
Pawn 3 almost immune. Survived the Plague. Shaman Trader arrived. Could not sell anything.
Pawn 2 goes on a Insulting Spree on Pawn 3, while he was still waiting to end his "next treatment timer", even if he was immune.
Trigger for Spree "Ugly envoirement". He was standing need the sick pawn to clean it up, but the sick one started to vomitt more.
Reasonable...
-> Maybe Pawns could go back from Bed Duty to Regular Duty prior ending of this timer someday ?

Day 8-9:
Blight event. Cutting the affected 15% of Potatoes is far better than loosing more than 50% in A 17.
Picked up some Healroots from the wild.

Day 10:
Wanderer Joins. Pyromaniac.

Day 11-15:
Potatoes Crop ready ! Created small Frezzer room 5x5, started to stock up on Meals. Next Crop: Corn
Small Research started. Started on Stoneblock Production.
Circuit overload event. Wait what !? I don't have Batteries. Just a Fueled Generator. So they happen now even without stored Power? Hmm.

Day 16:
Small Raid. 2 Tribe People ( The Irony: One is from the Muffalo Incident ).
Result: Captured 1 Pawn. But needed to create quickly a prison cell.
Prisoner got an infection meanwhile. And Yes it was the Muffalo Incident one even...

Day 17:
Prisoner 72%/67% immunity. Decided to give him now good meds, since he had good traits (Hardworking, Kind).
Wanderer Joins. Snob, good in growing and medic ( 9 & 7 ). Visitors.

Day 18:
Prisoner 95%/96% immunity - No Issues.

Day 19-25:
Trying to get Prisoner to join our little Colony w/o success. Well none got more than 4 Social Skill. This takes a while then...
Pyro goes on a Spree. Tamed 1 Alpaca and 2 Muffalos ( Both Female ). Mined some space. Cloth Industry started.

Day 26:
Cargo Pods drop - on my 2 Muffalos - Both dead. Contents of Drops : 17 Components total.

Day 29-35:
Heat Wave. Prisoner joins as Pawn 6. Pawn 4 (Pyro) and Pawn 1 started to be lovers and broke up the next day.
Pyro goes on a Slaugther Spree; Kills My alpaca and my Dog.  Mined some space.
Metorite Event: Granite. Heat Wave duration : 5 Days.

Day 36:
Decided to banisch the Pyro Pawn. Created a Caravan with him only and gone to world view once it was created.
Can't abandon the caravan or banisch him when he is alone in the caravan. Well, then off to the enemy faction you go.
Suicide Mission. Did i notice he is incapable of voilence ?

Day 37-41:
Started with Stoneblock Bed Industry. Good & up in stockpile, Normal & lower deconstruct, superior & up for colonists.
2x Mad Animal Event : Boomalope & Squirel, both ignored. Visitors.

Day 42:
Pyro Suicide Mission successful. He got captured even. I did not care, so enjoy your new friends.

Day 43-51:
Malaria Pawn 2. 3 Days Duration on Meds.
Bulk Good Trader arrived. Made some money with the Beds, bought Meds + 20 gold for later use. Starting to stock up on resources.

Day 52:
Meteorite event - Silver Ore. Dropped on Bulk Trader, which was about to leave.
Got some Stuff back from the Bulk Trader this way...

Day 53-60:
Wanderer joins. Visitors.
Hi-research table build, Geothermal reasearch done. Gun Turrets research done.
Healroot crops started.

Day 61-64:
Raid - Guess who... The Pyro and 3 of his new Friends. Turret shot one Raider down, injured the second with my pawns.
Pyro escaped with the other raider. Prisoner died due to blood loss ( He had only 2 hours left to live when downed ) in Cell.

Day 65:
Base consists of 6 13x13 Rooms, i am well stocked on Food. Slaver Caravan arrived, but nothing/none good to sale.
Geothermal Reactor up ! Cold Snap.

Day 66-70:
Wanderer joins. Found Ancient room during minig. Prepared to breach those walls.

Day 71:
Visitors + Mad Animal ( Megasloth ). Result: Faction does not like me that much anymore. Build Beacons + Coms.
Spent around 3k Silver to be liked by 3 factions again ( 20+ Value ).

Day 72:
Breached Ancient Room. Some luciferum, psycho lance & psycho animal. 3 Sleeping Pawns...
The one which was rudely awoken started to attack and got killed, while the others went directly to prison without complains.

Day 73-77:
Sold both Pawns to a Pirate Ship.
Cold Snap ends. Starting to Snowball with this Colony.

Day 78:
Done with my Gamin session for today.

Results of my Gameplay:
General:
- I noticed that the day time is running slower
- ... while sickness-duration takes less time. I assume up to 25% less time than A17.
- Cleaning-speed seems to have been upped again a little or it got some skill linked to it
- Even with 2xlower skilled Cooks, i had luck that only 2x i had poisoned meals in sofar.
- Until now i have not been asked what to name the faction and the Colony ( bug ?). Occured in A17 sometimes too. Could not identify if this was caused by mods. But this appears in Vanilla A18 unstable too.
- This unstable version runs quite well. Sofar i had only 1x a 2 sec Freeze on this game.

Worldmap:
- Nice work with the names! Gives me the feeling that this is a World / Planet.
- New traveling times calculations on Biomes are good. I think Tropical went down from 9.7 to something of 5.7?
- Permanent Weather is nice based on the location of the Colony. I like it !

Combat & Guns:
- Do you feel lucky, Punk ? Most times that's what i ask the pawn wielding it. The revolver feels more like a .38 cal than something of .357 or .44.
- New recurve Bow is worth the research & building. Doesnt need long to be build.
- SMGs are still deadly. Good.
- Haven't tried shotguns, Assault, Sniper or Charge Rifles yet in A18.
- I avoided Meele Combat sofar. Will test it later on.
TBH: I miss Combat Extended Mod...

Quests / Missions / Events.
- Resource Caravan request are reasonable and can be keept as they are. Appeared at day 45 & 61.
- A quest for a Antigrain warhead at day 69 for destroying a Base seems to be a lot, but i get 27 Days to finish it. So... OK balanced somehow.
- Peace Talks. YES. A big YES. I was lucky. From -87 Hostile to -27 Hostile. This Mission is worth to be taken. Might be needed if a faction stopped to like you then during later events.
- Rescue Missions. If those Pawns are the ones from the starting Character generation Screen, then i had to roll those too. By the way: Having meds are a must in this one.
- Meteorite Drop / Cargo Drops can be dealy. Well, this happens. No Complains :)
- I like the new Message colors. Need to get used to those. ( But I miss the Auto Notification closure mod here )
- Visitors are still only a dump items for silver option. ( I miss Orion's Hospitality Mod )
- New mental breaks can be annyoing and a reason to hate a pawn for his behavior. Slaughter Spree is far more deadly, affected Pawn needs to be imprisoned.
- Inspirations: If pawns marry, they get inspirations the whole time while in the honeymoon.
  Could we get an "Arrow up" Icon in their Portrait ? Where the + is when affected by Sickness. Something like a Gun + Arrow up icon when on shooting inspiration or Shoe+Arrow when on "Go"? I can't identify which pawn got which inspiration ( Buff ). No other information than the letter message.

Items:
- Haven't tried the new Orbital Items yet. A'int that far.
- Bedrolls might be usefull later on ( Set Up Camp Mod ? ), currently i dont have use for those, since Beds and new items added like ....
- ... Endtable. Endtable need to be at the head tile of the bed to be active (1 tile range). Fine with me.
- ... Dresser can Link to Beds thru walls ( 5 tile range ). Maybe lower it to 3 tiles ?
- Tablesize 1x2 is very welcome ( same like Rimkea+ Mod ).
- Tablesize 3x3 maybe usefull if i put a Lamp or Plants in the center.
- The new Wood Floors texture looks like a long Log and fits the design.

Economy:
- Let's talk Money. Silver as currency is fine, but maybe not as end-game for basebuilders. Silver tiled room for Research / Hospital is still a priority.
- Wood is cheap, even high quality Weapons / Furniture ain't that rewarding. Thats ok.
- Stoneblock Furniture is rewaring at Good and Better quality. Thats Ok, because once all Blocks are used, you can't get new ones easy or without paying.
- Statues made of high quality Materials ( Gold, silver, plasteel ) can rarely or never be sold to a trader. They don't have the Items & Silver for those.

Summary:
I can't wait for some of my old time used mods to be available again for A18. But sofar the A18 Unstable is very playable and enjoyable.
Keep up the work, because i need my RimFix on a daylie basis...

/Pope
Sorry for bad grammar. Tired a little from this late night gaming session and writting :(

Omega_K2

Not far into my game yet, so this is just something that has bothered me with the generation of some of the new features:

Swamps should be able to spawn in mountain and large hills. I feel like the terrain shouldn't restrict the biome, not a fan of being restricted that way (I like being able to mix and match what I like playing). It's also realistically possible, think of swamps at the bottom of mountain valleys. It also creates those really odd looking maps like this https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/867366889705726022/33E27688B46AFCCB988A0D8E12578484B83C19CF/