Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashthechinchilla

Caravans are totally worth it in A18. From caravans I have obtained an orbital bombardment device, Orbital power beam device, 2 rez serums, an infinite chemfuel reactor, and at least one colonist. Plus enough brick and such from deconstruction and stealing chunks that I haven't had to turn my map into a barren wasteland to pave over the dirt. I also positioned myself about a day away from a modern colony. That means I can drag my extra junk over there, sell it, and make enough scratch to summon the trade caravans I need to buy what I need to complete stuff.

Daguest

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on November 12, 2017, 12:15:35 PM
Caravans are totally worth it in A18. From caravans I have obtained an orbital bombardment device, Orbital power beam device, 2 rez serums, an infinite chemfuel reactor, and at least one colonist. Plus enough brick and such from deconstruction and stealing chunks that I haven't had to turn my map into a barren wasteland to pave over the dirt. I also positioned myself about a day away from a modern colony. That means I can drag my extra junk over there, sell it, and make enough scratch to summon the trade caravans I need to buy what I need to complete stuff.
That's entirely random. It was valuable FOR YOU. Not for me for example.
From my caravan, I had a 500energy infinite generator, which is poor, especially when I had 3-4 geothermal stuff already. And a thingie that produce chemfuel on its own. Which value is disputable, but since I play on a boreal forest (read wood), that's not helpful at all, unless I want to turn my base in a chemfuel based bomb.

And that's it. Note that my colony is completely self sufficient, it's been year, and I'm at the part when there is nothing to do.

Dashthechinchilla

If you don't caravan, there won't be much for you to do. The last two updates were about leaving your base to explore the world. Not caravaning means that you are basically not play half the content of the last two updates.

Caravans are pretty low risk once you know a few tricks. If you are at the point of nothing to do in your base, you should be able to stomp a pirate outpost.

lauri7x3

how are caravans low risk? its like the riskiest thing in game
and for a rly low reward

etoon

Speaking of caravans, I only seem to get orbital targeters and the new power supply thingy. I haven't seen any of the others. The healing serum would be really nice to see more often because my colonists are collecting plenty of scratched eyes and shattered bones (in various places). The eye gouging probably needs some tweaking as well. I can understand the bigger predators but rabbits and such seem to jump straight for the eyes instead of nibbling at the ankles. This has me on a constant lookout for bionic eyes.

ObscureDragom

Quote from: lauri7x3 on November 12, 2017, 03:40:22 PM
and for a rly low reward

On Tribal starts I always try to get a shipment of clothes and animals out to the nearest neighbor as soon as I can.  Always happy to trade turkeys and poor clothes for bionics.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: lauri7x3 on November 12, 2017, 03:40:22 PM
and for a rly low reward
On randy rough tribal, the only time I have lost a colonist was in my base. I have had raiders and mech at the same time or back to back (and sometimes toback again ). By contrast my two man sniper teams with animal guards (usually muffalo so they can haul too) have defeated several encounter with the only injury to a colonist being a sprint to a cave. So in my experience, as long as they have food, caravans are comparatively safer than my base.

Ser Kitteh

I caravan quite a lot, but loading everything in is absolutely an unreliable process. Doesn't matter where you put the packing spot, sometimes it's really random and now my muffalos are eating my devilstrand. I'd rather everything be automatically teleported into the pack animals/colonists rather than 1 person hauling 500 things to half a dozen muffalo.

It's almost like the game dislikes the idea of two people and a lot of muffalos making caravan trips. Colonists (from what I see) no longer collapse in exhaustion and actually take their meals, but it's a very cumbersome process. It'd be nice if other colonists help with the packing too.

Mst

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on November 12, 2017, 10:19:56 AM
Kidnapped was until now, rescued by paying through the Comms Console. But in A18 Unstable, you can literally go for the rescue in World Map without spending any silver.

That sounds so cool! Can't wait to conduct my first rescue operation (it certainly would need an awesome codename and hope it will get immortalized by some artist in my colony). Sorry if I'm missing smth as last time I played was a16.

That kind of events gives huge cense of purpose for sending people out in the wild. Not much benefit of raiding and almost unpredictable trade opportunities made all those expeditions seem more of a fun luxury than a necessity. But with this kind of direction it changes everything. I really hope that we'll get more of these events. I even ready to banish him again and again after rescuing just to get more of those missions.

Anyway it's a great idea which enriches narrative. Hope this type of events will expand and we'll get to rescue not only our colonists but anyone willing to join or help fellow neighbors for the sake of reputation or just in good will with no reward, it's fine by me. Bigger tougher enemy bases would also be appreciated to make these missions as well as raiding in free roam a real challenge.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on November 12, 2017, 10:36:43 PM
I caravan quite a lot, but loading everything in is absolutely an unreliable process. Doesn't matter where you put the packing spot, sometimes it's really random and now my muffalos are eating my devilstrand. I'd rather everything be automatically teleported into the pack animals/colonists rather than 1 person hauling 500 things to half a dozen muffalo.

It's almost like the game dislikes the idea of two people and a lot of muffalos making caravan trips. Colonists (from what I see) no longer collapse in exhaustion and actually take their meals, but it's a very cumbersome process. It'd be nice if other colonists help with the packing too.
I haven't figured out the mechanics, but they don't always pack alone in A18. Once all the colonists and animals are at the packing point, they begin to load. However, I have seen some colonists assist with one or two things. It seems to be part of the haul order, but even my researcher who should spend all day researching sometimes jumps in. His bench is right near my packing point.

Pepelnica1488

Can you release your fucking shit much faster? 6 months and NOTHING, some table and furniture? you are idiot? fucking bastard dev

wow, arent we a little angry. Enjoy your holiday.

Ramsis

Quote from: Pepelnica1488 on November 13, 2017, 11:28:14 AM
Can you release your fucking shit much faster? 6 months and NOTHING, some table and furniture? you are idiot? fucking bastard dev

wow, arent we a little angry. Enjoy not being here anymore.

Yeah dev team you lazy bastards! Only spending 18 hours a day on the game and not 19? The hell did half the price of a triple A title with not even half the content go? I ain't paying for vacations!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

mistomaxo

let dressers serve as storage containers for clothing items.

let dressers function as storage containers for clothing items.

a shirt shouldnt take up the same amount of room in the big inventory room as a stack of stone blocks

SpookCrow

It's a shame that people like you want to rush perfection and have the(excuse my language) fucking nerve to curse out the entire dev team that worked hard to bring a good quality update and make sure that the update has majority of the problematic bugs eliminated. Scum like you need to shut the hell up, there's more to this update then just tables and furniture.

Did you look at the change log? No the hell you didn't, now take your nasty emo looking ass off this thread and treat the dev team with more respect. They work extremely hard to keep us happy.

"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Kalre

i sorry you for bad englando