Reproduce

Started by Thracian, May 19, 2014, 07:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thracian

Is there a mod where you can let your colonists reproduce? (but of course you need a man and women)? or is this going to be a feuture?

a89a89

Quote from: Thracian on May 19, 2014, 07:22:12 AM
Is there a mod where you can let your colonists reproduce? (but of course you need a man and women)? or is this going to be a feuture?
if there was a mod like that, would you really wait 1800 days ( just guessing) for them to work?

pawnstorm

Quote from: a89a89 on May 19, 2014, 08:56:35 AM
Quote from: Thracian on May 19, 2014, 07:22:12 AM
if there was a mod like that, would you really wait 1800 days ( just guessing) for them to work?
lol, good point. Would be fun to implement though, you could even make female colonists subject to random mood swings and sudden cravings for raw meat when pregnant. Or make their mood randomly affect the thoughts of the other colonists, ie. "I'm pregnant and want to spread the joy that the promise of new life brings!" or "I'm pregnant. My back hurts, my hormones are a mess and the whole world must suffer for it!" :P.

Neone

I'm pregnant so I won't do anything.

Viceroy

Would be nice to have classrooms and caretakers for children, maybe have them help out with cleaning and hauling. I'd wait realistic times for children to grow, not enough games feature them, used to bother me when I was a child myself.
Dog goes moo!

SSS

For realistic times, that would be around 280 days for pregnancy. I don't know how long it would take the colonists to detect it. After birth, you're looking at 6570 days until adulthood. That's quite awhile, but you could feasibly start working them at roughly 4745 days (13 years) old. They could do things like hauling (in smaller amounts), cooking, or cleaning. They could probably research too. Younger kids could socialize and maybe clean, but they should be more of a "burden" than anything. (Speaking of which, do colonists currently age? I've never watched their profiles to see if the age ticks up after a year or two in-game.)

As Neone mentioned, you could have pregnant colonists incapable of some work, and late-pregnant colonists mostly bedridden... but I wonder who would take care of the babies. Having interaction with the parents would be cool (protip: don't have a "incapable of: caring" parent).  Also, this could open up a caretaker/teacher skill as Viceroy said.

The real conundrum would be determining their stats. Unless we just start everything at 0 and they learn manually/via being taught, how do you go about generating base stats? Every stat current colonists gain is via childhood and adulthood backgrounds. Traits and likes (the fires next to stats) would be the only thing I could see being predetermined at birth (at that, wouldn't they change at some point, particularly adulthood?). I could see some children potentially... well, hate that they're constantly having to clean/cook/whatever else (instead of liking it or remaining complacent), and suddenly vow to never clean/cook/etc. again at adulthood. xD

Despite all of the obstacles, I would still love to see this if someone would be willing to put the time in. I prefer long-lasting colonies, as opposed to dominate-the-map-and-move-on ones, and it would really make the colony feel more lively to me. If I ever get into modding, I might try something along these lines.

a89a89

Cyclops

Guys, guys, the answer is simple.. Grow 'em in a lab and then put them in maturation pods. Of course, instead of assassins and soldiers, these guys will become colonists. Lab-grown colonists.

a89a89

Quote from: Cyclops on May 20, 2014, 02:16:01 PM
Guys, guys, the answer is simple.. Grow 'em in a lab and then put them in maturation pods. Of course, instead of assassins and soldiers, these guys will become colonists. Lab-grown colonists.
lab grown colonist, lol

bluntfeather

Quote from: a89a89 on May 19, 2014, 07:30:33 PM
Quote from: Neone on May 19, 2014, 10:45:06 AM
what?

What he intended to say was if pregnancy is introduced there will be periods in which you cannot use a colonist because of the sheer amount of pregnant they are experiencing.

Celthric Aysen

This discussion just got weird :P
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

a89a89

Quote from: bluntfeather on May 21, 2014, 11:20:42 AM
what?

What he intended to say was if pregnancy is introduced there will be periods in which you cannot use a colonist because of the sheer amount of pregnant they are experiencing.
I thought he was actually pregnant XD

iame6162013

Quote from: a89a89 on May 21, 2014, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: bluntfeather on May 21, 2014, 11:20:42 AM
what?

I thought he was actually pregnant XD
HE could be pregnant but one question how?,
and if it should come out... It would blow up :P
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Coenmcj

Shh, I smell a blackjack around here. stay on topic.

To answer the OP's question there is a mod that does something similar, but with muffallo's, you could always ask him/her? (Don't remember who/where it was.)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite